I remember reacting exactly the same way, Nienna.

That, and I can't stand it when these people insist they're taking good care of their animals.Doh3.gif

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh god.. it's just so awful. There is a woman who lives near my mom who keeps cats she steals from the neighbors in cages on her enclosed porch all year round. The cops have taken them all more than once, and she just keeps doing it again and again. She's part of the reason my mom is selling that house!

Sigh. That's so sad.

I'm SO not looking forward to having to find homes for the mother & kittens I'm fostering. I just don't trust people to take good care of them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would take one of the grey babies if you were closer. *L* They're just what I've been looking for.

HOW COULD THIS WRETCHED HALFWIT SAY SHE TAKES "VERY GOOD CARE OF" THESE POOR ANIMALS??!! I'm surprised her tongue didn't shrivel up & fall out ov her mouth right then and there for making such an outrageous statement. And exactly how does she plan to separate the sick ones from the healthy ones... assuming there are any healthy ones?

I was overwhelmed with guilt when one of my cats almost died & I couldn't afford the care that would've given him a better chance... no way could I live with myself if I had dozens of diseased half-starved cats in my care. I will never again have more animals than I can properly care for... the experience with Chango made a huge impression on me.

BTW, two ov "my" kitties need a home, temp or permanent... both spayed females, mother & daughter, very sweet, ages about 7 & 6. If anyone's interested IM me & I'll explain the situation.

She takes care of DIEING cats. DIEING. It says the cats were rotting and such... perhaps the sick cats all died of natural causes and she had nowhere to dispose of the bodys. Innocent until Proven guilty. Or does that not apply?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps. From what I read, it was a no kill shelter she was running.

Either way if they where dying or not - their dead and with that said there are pet crematoriums that will gladly assist in disposing of the remains... I guess thats why I'm so sickened with this story... No way in hell that was a shelter and no way was she taking adequate care of them... They have them in michigan and since she was in NJ I'm sure there was probably one relatively close enough to take care of them. :tear

Even dying cats deserve a decent environment to die in. And "natural causes" just means they died of disease rather than starvation or violence, not that they died of old age or whatever. So there's this huge pile of possibly infectious decaying cat carcasses- a definite health hazard for any humans or animals in the area. If she knew the cats were dying, then she knew the bodies would have to be disposed of down the line. So yes, given the facts we have she IS guilty of extreme negligence, at the very least.

There is also the consideration that maybe some of those "dying" cats could've recovered in a clean, low-stress environment with the correct care. With some feline illnesses, supportive care is the only treatment & can make a big difference.

Either way if they where dying or not - their dead and with that said there are pet crematoriums that will gladly assist in disposing of the remains...
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I doubt that the pet crematoriums would do it for free...being that it was a shelter, doubt she is willing/able to pay for a proper cremation for each of these 200 animals.

No no by all means, they aren't free.. But if she had started this thing up the right way to begin with - she could have gotten volunteer's, or grants from Animal Societys to help or her community, people are willing to donate.. Especially since there are stray problems with the threat of contracting disease. Adleast that would have set it off in the right direction. Help her get the cash for the proper permits for building an adequate housing area for them. I mean, you know when you cannot handle a certain amount, so why keep stretching your means? If you want to run a Hospice for animals, you need the proper space, in a rural area, enough for food, supplies, medicine if their going to go that far.. She shouldn't have even bothered starting that if she wasn't going to do it right. She knew they where either sick or dying so why keep them close to eachother, how would she have even planned to get rid of them in the first place!

I would bet that it started out as a very small operation that got wildly out of hand.

We also have to consider that the dead cats were not strewn about her house. This was the impression that I first got, that she had dead cats lying in various states of decomposition mixed with live cats in every room.

Archived