Polys And Monos

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think marriage is silly - at best - but, if your society is going to have it, there's no justification for not allowing more than two consenting adults to marry each other.

not against marriage... as long as people are open minded to the fact that tastes, opinions etc grow/change through life and people need to be openminded and supportive of this

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a topic very near to me as my wife and I are poly. She has a boyfriend that lives with us and it works out just fine. I on the other hand find it difficult to meet people and making that connection.

Yes there is work involved but the reward out ways the work.

I'm monogamous. I usually warm up to people very slowly and get pretty attached. I'm not a misanthrope, but I have a feeling where knowing and trusting one woman really well, is way better than being with a lot of women who could stab you in the back an endless number of creative ways. I'm single and my reply to most drama already is usually deathly silence because its all so stupid, even when its fun.

I don't think "people change" is much of an argument against monogamy. It could be arguable that the people more likely to change over time are polygamous, since they crave change in romantic relationships. From my perspective, one isn't better than the other because it pretty much all depends on personality.

Maybe its cause I read to much Heinlein growing up but the idea of poly relationships doesn't bother me at all. If you haven't read any of his stuff most of his adult books involve group marriages (like 10-15 people sometimes). I don't think I could ever manage one myself though. Too much potential for hurt feelings or jealousy. That's more of a personal failing though.