What Is The State Of The Human Condition (humanity)?

Ouch! You made me actually think! In my opinion, things are getting both better and worse for humanity. I see great technological advances, but I see disconnection. We can communicate with people all over the world, work and school from home, get information in seconds, but many of us know nothing about the people who live next door to us. Great strides are being made medically, but at the same time new and old terrible diseases form and mutate faster than a cure can be found. People seem to think the world owes them something, but few are willing to work hard to get the things they desire.

There seems to be more child molesters, pedophiles, and kids killing each other. There appears to be a lack of morals and basic common courtesy, more intense road rage, and people in general not owning up responsibility for their behavior or actions. Then you hear of people going out of their way to help others in the most selfless manners, people coming together for a cause, people reaching out to those in need. It’s when we are fortunate enough to witness or participate in one of these endeavors, you begin to have faith in humanity again. At least this is how I see things at this particular point in time. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

If the whole current human race was one human, I believe that human would try to destroy itself. Our intelligence has outweighed our ability for empathy for a long time, and the weight is growing heavier. Even though it's obvious, there's a lot of suffering ahead for a lot of people in the world.

Failing. This is the first generation that won't do better than it's parent. Most people (myself included) come out of college loaded with dreams and debt and end up in an hourly job, possibly not even related to their degree, making way less than they should for the work. Our economy is making us a nation of desparate debters. (Gee... you think I'm bitter much?)

I think the state of humanity is rapidly turning into a freight train thats horrifically out of control, and could go off the rails at any given time causing massive chaos and destruction, and there really isnt anything anyone one can do about it because not enough people care enough to change things for the better. Its all about money and power and bling and prestige nowadays.

I do think that it is interesting that literally every generation thinks that it's worse then ever, and that every generation thinks that humanity can't last at it's current pace... and yet we always adapt...

I do think that it is interesting that literally every generation thinks that it's worse then ever, and that every generation thinks that humanity can't last at it's current pace... and yet we always adapt...

We Have to adapt, the world keeps going whether or not we go along with it, it doesn't stop for anyone. We either adapt and go with the changes as they come or, the world just steps over us and moves on without us.

We Have to adapt, the world keeps going whether or not we go along with it, it doesn't stop for anyone. We either adapt and go with the changes as they come or, the world just steps over us and moves on without us.

The black plague was a good example of that...

Failing. This is the first generation that won't do better than it's parent. Most people (myself included) come out of college loaded with dreams and debt and end up in an hourly job, possibly not even related to their degree, making way less than they should for the work. Our economy is making us a nation of desparate debters. (Gee... you think I'm bitter much?)

This has only been the norm for a few generations. I'd say life from the year 1900 and beyond has significantly improved over life 1900 and before.

However, with that said, the 20th century yielded the greatest number of man caused deaths through improved effectivness in war weapons, genocide, etc. It is plain and simple to me to see that life has never been better for humanity, at least in the first world countries. We have toys and comforts never known to man in any time previous to now. We have medical advances, technological advances and general knowledges that exponentially surpass mankind even as early as 100 years ago, let alone thousands of years ago.

With that said, I think it is important to note a few potential problems that could be catastrophic.

1) Our technology has made us increasingly isolated from one another (at least in the first world countries), which hardens our opinions in regards to differences, and makes it easier for us to hate each other. This reduces over all empathy, which is not good.

2) With easier access and justification of hate, we also have the realistic potential to destroy ourselves. As Phee mentioned, everyone always thinks the end is near. A thousand years ago religious zealots thought the end times were dawning and four horseman would appear, etc. The difference between then and now is that we actually CAN destroy ourselves. We need no beasts, angels or horseman to bring about the Apocalypse. I do not want to suggest that I think we are doomed, but the potential is absolutely there, and the political climate of the world could evolve into another Cold War type of situation that could get nasty. Or worse, an all out World War III situation centered on the Middle East that could be catastrophic. Or something even beyond imagination, who knows?

I think if these points are ironed out, mankind could in the next 1000 years reach an enlightened age that is vastly beyond even our most wild and vivid imaginations. When I think of the rate of progress we are achieving, and think about the difference between man now and man 1000 years ago, it almost hurts my brain to think about all that could happen by the year 3007. But, we desperately need wisdom to come along with our knowledge and progress.

Klaatu, barada, nikto.

The human condition is a weakened state, due to the progress of those who oppress, and the fear that grips those who would oppose. Greed and selfishness infects this land. What once was beautiful through innocent eyes, is lost. I believe we have the power to be great people. I have hope that men or women of intelligence conscience without the prejudices of religious dogmas will rise above and lead this world into better times. I would like to believe this is not vanity.

Edited by crunchy_pickle

It's getting worse.

More murders, and everyone is becoming so politically correct. Fighting over the smallest things.

We're de-evolving psychologically....... at least the people who deserve the Darwin awards are becoming more common. The drains on society are turning up more and more. There are less intelligent people, versus those with lower IQs.

Like I said..... it's getting worse.

The human condition... is what we make of it.

There is so much cynicism on this board. Here , let me hit you with a few facts.

The world, as a whole, has a death rate of 8.37 per 1,000 population. The birth rate, at 20.09 per 1,000 seems like we are going to overcrowd ourselves into the stone age, right?

Not quite. The fertility rate for the world is 2.59 births per woman. The rock bottom number needed for maintaining population levels is 2.1 per woman.

Do you know what the fertility rate is for Italy? 1.29! 1... point 2... 9!!! Italy, a country with thousands of years of culture, is running out of children. Where will they get their next generation? From immigrants. From poor countries. With high birth rates.

China isn't much better. It's fertility rate is at 1.75, thanks to a one-child policy started in 1979. Right now, China has a negative immigration rate, but it is on track to have the world's largest economy by 2050. Again, where will they get their people from?

India has a rate of 2.81. It just doesn't pay to stay in India. If you are one in a million, you are in a crowd of 1,300.

The fact is, terrorism, oil wars, global warming... it's all static. Europe and China are both set to be depopulated, and all that capital in both economies needs to be managed by someone.

We are going to get off the petroleum crack pipe, we are going to have fewer babies, and we are going to be richer than ever.

Because if we don't ride the wave, if we try to keep the borders closed and the people trapped, we will all choke on our own hate.

For the last three million years, people have been figuring out how to live with each other. I don't see why the next fifty are going to be any different.

the human condition is just that, a state.

Everything is temporary. Nothing lasts, everything changes. Sometimes it's for the best, sometimes its for the worst, but all and all, nothing is horrible. there are problems, don't think I've turned a blind eye to that fact, but all and all, for what the system does, (decide what I mean by system, cus I'm not quite sure what I mean.) it works. not well, but well enough to get most people by. The majority of the time horrible things happen, and if you knew the people that they happened to you'd say "It shouldn't have happened to them." And sincerely mean it. If we only remembered that every once in a while, humanity would be in a better state IMO.

I think the world will get to a point where we can have all we want, all we ever dreamed, all we need, or could ever wish for...and not a single person will appreciate it.

As a whole as we come closer to the things we want, we get furthur from eachother, from one another...not that I much blame it with the paranoia of today and the lack of good people, with trustworthy friends seeming to diminish...

People are stabbing others in the back with no regret or second thought to achieve the ultimate goal of greed, power, and wealth...

eventually the world will be one huge party of the rich, powerful, and famouse and not a single person will be content with it...

I truely do believe in the future all but a small handfull will fail to see true beauty...and those who do may not even understand or appreciate it...at all...

I think this for many reasons...mostly because of social standards, politics, as well as my own knowledge of a few murder cases and the random stories of variouse human acts...

like homeless beatings, people setting others on fire, mothers killing their own children...the world has gone insane and all I can do is weep for it...

I do not believe things will get better...unless people stand up for what they believe rather than popular "ideas"...

It sucks. And every day, is achieving new levels of suck.

Nobody cares about anyone else anymore.

Kids are ignored or otherwise neglected, and as a result are apathetic, uncaring, and disrespectful.

Adults want, want, want - and don't care what gets used-up or destroyed in the process.

I am glad I do not have the inclination to have children. Because as bad as things are now, I'd hate to inflict the future on progeny.

It sucks. And every day, is achieving new levels of suck.

Nobody cares about anyone else anymore.

Kids are ignored or otherwise neglected, and as a result are apathetic, uncaring, and disrespectful.

Adults want, want, want - and don't care what gets used-up or destroyed in the process.

I am glad I do not have the inclination to have children. Because as bad as things are now, I'd hate to inflict the future on progeny.

but we need Leaders, Love....thats why I wish I could have children.

but we need Leaders, Love....thats why I wish I could have children.

That is one thing I am grateful for. Even though society is less than ideal, I know that I am making every attempt to raise my daughter to be a good, strong, decent, self-thinking, accepting, and tolerant human being in the hopes that perhaps she can make a difference one day where I may not. Perhaps she will have a positive impact on humanity. It's something to strive for anyway.