Damn Weight

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could do it by diet modification, but you'd probably be so starved you would backslide immediately. The one-two punch definitely is the best route though. Both diet and exercise. In terms of the exercise its way WAY more about the cardio than it is about any muscle toning. Its true flexibility and muscle help burn extra calories but its not nearly as significant as the cardio. The cardio is what burns the mass calories. You can do yoga 3 hours a day every day for years and never loose any significant weight, gotta get the heart rate going.

excessive cardio can f up your blood sugar. and muscle tone improves your metabolism.

plus lifting weights is a LOT MORE FUN than jogging.

weight training ftw

wieghts. erm. not convinced on them tbh.

the right excercises can do more that a wieght can. and theres more to it than jogging (which i do every other week as i have 7 miles of sand beach here i might as well make use of). if using cardio machines why not combine those with doing something like TV or music.

right music is great.

when i used to go to gym i just used to plug my ears with headphones and go on the runner, the music channels they had would then be non audioable with all the motivation to run towards britney spears in the toxic music vid (i'm male and i dont deny it)

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record on DGN, but Troy, consider reading the book The Cure by Dr. Timothy Brantley. It's touched on so much that I've read over the years with regards to nutrition and it might assist in giving complete perspective on getting off the 'diet' rollercoaster and into a more comfortable 'lifestyle' dietary change. Or, you might read it and think me totally insane. Whichever. I wish you well in being healthy, most important of all. His book is about health and the food we eat, etc.

Good luck with the weight loss whatever way you choose to do it. I've lost 20 pounds and have been a bit lazy getting back on the bandwagon. I have a long way to go though so I need to get my arse back on it again. :rolleyes:

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record on DGN, but Troy, consider reading the book The Cure by Dr. Timothy Brantley. It's touched on so much that I've read over the years with regards to nutrition and it might assist in giving complete perspective on getting off the 'diet' roller coaster and into a more comfortable 'lifestyle' dietary change. Or, you might read it and think me totally insane. Whichever. I wish you well in being healthy, most important of all. His book is about health and the food we eat, etc.

I'll try Void. But i have so many books on my "too be read" pile its insane. Honestly i dont think at this point anyway it has anything to do with the specific diet, or the specific exercise. It has to do with flat out , simple simon, motivation. Getting off the ass and just doing it. Not intellectualizing it anymore, but just dooooooooooo ittttttttttttt. Wana lose weight? Eat less, exersize more.

Can always debate the details, but the core concept is always the same. Put down the fork, and get up off the ass.

Good luck with the weight loss whatever way you choose to do it. I've lost 20 pounds and have been a bit lazy getting back on the bandwagon. I have a long way to go though so I need to get my arse back on it again. :rolleyes:

Careful not to let the bandwagon roll backwards. I'm so mad at myself at this point. I was almost exactly in the kind of shape i wanted to be, now ive backslid so far that I've got a massive uphill battle ahead of me. If i would have just "maintained" my fitness level , even just on a very minimal level, I'd have saved myself a lot of headache.

Careful not to let the bandwagon roll backwards. I'm so mad at myself at this point. I was almost exactly in the kind of shape i wanted to be, now ive backslid so far that I've got a massive uphill battle ahead of me. If i would have just "maintained" my fitness level , even just on a very minimal level, I'd have saved myself a lot of headache.

I know, I know. I haven't gone backwards yet. I'm at that minimal level right now and plan to join Bodyzone for Women (like Curves) this week. I know people say that it's not the greatest workout but for me it will be a step up and a motivator to move forward. I've come to the conclusion that I don't do diets because I splurge and gain weight and I don't do extreme workouts because I stop all together. Don't be too mad at yourself, although I understand the feeling. I can't believe sometimes that I let myself go this far but I've dropped a lot of my bad habits this year (i.e, fast food A LOT, no exercise AT ALL) that I'm just taking it one step at a time. We each have that "trigger" that we have to reach to get motivated.

I know, I know. I haven't gone backwards yet. I'm at that minimal level right now and plan to join Bodyzone for Women (like Curves) this week. I know people say that it's not the greatest workout but for me it will be a step up and a motivator to move forward. I've come to the conclusion that I don't do diets because I splurge and gain weight and I don't do extreme workouts because I stop all together. Don't be too mad at yourself, although I understand the feeling. I can't believe sometimes that I let myself go this far but I've dropped a lot of my bad habits this year (i.e, fast food A LOT, no exercise AT ALL) that I'm just taking it one step at a time. We each have that "trigger" that we have to reach to get motivated.

I'd encourage you to do whatever you need to do to get motivated even if somone or some article might tell you its "not optimal". We need to be realistic. Are we REALLY going to be diet and exersize nazis and do exactly point by point everything these "experts" tell us? Hell no.

So, we need to be realistic on what it is will actually get us going. :yes

I damn weight, too.

I live .75 miles from KFC.

..and 2 miles from White Castle..

And I work all day and I am standing in one place or sitting in one place all day while I am working..

I spent a long time getting my body how I wanted it and now I have to start over again.

:rolleyes:

I am on day 3 of the fruit and veggie and Ranch and Red Stripe diet.

hahahaha

And I walk miles and run stairs.

(problem is I smoke when I go out. I quit for over a year and started up again. Yuck. But I love clove cigarettes.)

:spank

Hey good luck. You can do it.

As soon as you start, it is amazing how quick everything falls into place. Pun intended.

And it gets to be fun and exciting and you feel accomplished and fresh air becomes your best friend..

Its a good thing. :))

Bad smoker bad bad. *grabs smokes away*

What is a "Red Stripe" ?

Yikes. HEY.. I guess I deserve that cuz i seem to remember snattching cigs from you too.. i smoke when i drink.

:(

Red Stripe is a yummy Jamaican lager that tastes like pop, and does its job.

I am a light "drinker" so 2 1/2 is good for me.

Its good, It has my seal of approval.

Red Stripe is a yummy Jamaican lager that tastes like pop, and does its job.

I am a light "drinker" so 2 1/2 is good for me.

Its good, It has my seal of approval.

Yes Indeed. It is good stuff. I hate beer and I still like it!

Yes Indeed. It is good stuff. I hate beer and I still like it!

hehehehe.. wouldnt you say it tastes like pop??

its my new favorite thing.. i used to drink Guiness, and loved that because its like espresso.

And now R.S. is the fave because its sweet.

:))

hehehehe.. wouldnt you say it tastes like pop??

its my new favorite thing.. i used to drink Guiness, and loved that because its like espresso.

And now R.S. is the fave because its sweet.

:))

Kind of like beer pop but yeah! LOL I first had one when I worked at the R&B meatmarket club a few years ago. The beer distributer sent a 6 pack for us to try to see if we wanted to order it. I had one and few other people did too. I ended up putting one out on the beer cart to see if anyone would buy it, but the denizens were terrified of it and stuck to their Bud Light! LOL

Kind of like beer pop but yeah! LOL I first had one when I worked at the R&B meatmarket club a few years ago. The beer distributer sent a 6 pack for us to try to see if we wanted to order it. I had one and few other people did too. I ended up putting one out on the beer cart to see if anyone would buy it, but the denizens were terrified of it and stuck to their Bud Light! LOL

GUH! my man drinks Bud Light and I hate it.

yech!

Damn Threadjacking foxes. :spank

I definitely do prefer "girly" drinks. Be nice if they made the tropical mixed drinks right there inside CC.

Although i will be on the hunt for outside-the-club booze (reasonably) soon. This stuff doesnt sound particularly cheap to me though. Cheap-ass rotgut for pre-club hammering will be my choice.

Damn Threadjacking foxes. :spank

I definitely do prefer "girly" drinks. Be nice if they made the tropical mixed drinks right there inside CC.

Although i will be on the hunt for outside-the-club booze (reasonably) soon. This stuff doesnt sound particularly cheap to me though. Cheap-ass rotgut for pre-club hammering will be my choice.

Red Stripe is not really cheap beer. It's considered an import. I'm rocking the Southern Comfort lately, but that's not really cheap either.

• 4 weeks later...

Well i been at this diet / exercise thing for about 5 (barely) weeks. I've lost somewhere between 6-8 pounds (hard to tell seems to fluxuate from day to day and from time of day to time of day) Ugh , talk about slow progress. Although as i remember its always been this way for the first month or so when I've went on my dieting sprees. Slow for the first month, fast for the second, then slow again for the rest of the time.

So dang slow going. ZZZZZZZZZZZ. No one else to blame but myself though. Yeah "my life" "made" me get depressed and stop caring about my health, but its still my own dumb ass that allowed it to happen. *slaps self* Maybe you'll remember this next time around! *stares in mirror*

Well i been at this diet / exercise thing for about 5 (barely) weeks. I've lost somewhere between 6-8 pounds (hard to tell seems to fluxuate from day to day and from time of day to time of day) Ugh , talk about slow progress. Although as i remember its always been this way for the first month or so when I've went on my dieting sprees. Slow for the first month, fast for the second, then slow again for the rest of the time.

So dang slow going. ZZZZZZZZZZZ. No one else to blame but myself though. Yeah "my life" "made" me get depressed and stop caring about my health, but its still my own dumb ass that allowed it to happen. *slaps self* Maybe you'll remember this next time around! *stares in mirror*

Yeah. When I get to my goal I will NEVER go back. It's been almost a year of hell. LOL Don't give up!

Hey I've been on my "life change" for four weeks now..well this is the fifth..i've lost 7 lbs.. that's actually more than i expected.. I am working at 1 lb a week ever week till I go on my cruise.. I'm excited, I've never been on a cruise, let alone take many vacations..

Umm.. drinking isn't very conducive to weight loss.. :/ doesn't stop me much.. luckily i'm a light weight..hehe go asian constitution.. I've heard rumours that asians lack an enzyme that is supposed to help people process alcohol. *shrug* don't know if this is true, but even at my height of college drunkdom i was the one drink wanderer.. hehe i suck.. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey I've been on my "life change" for four weeks now..well this is the fifth..i've lost 7 lbs.. that's actually more than i expected.. I am working at 1 lb a week ever week till I go on my cruise.. I'm excited, I've never been on a cruise, let alone take many vacations..

Umm.. drinking isn't very conducive to weight loss.. :/ doesn't stop me much.. luckily i'm a light weight..hehe go asian constitution.. I've heard rumours that asians lack an enzyme that is supposed to help people process alcohol. *shrug* don't know if this is true, but even at my height of college drunkdom i was the one drink wanderer.. hehe i suck.. :)

keep it up =)