This Mortal Coil

Tones On Tail

Unter Null

Zeromancer

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't think of a better place than DGN Radio to showcase bands/artists like, oh, say, Alienare, HyperSomnia, Spacin, Firewerk, Access to Concrete, Camille, BlackSunday, etc.

Matter of fact, I think I know of at least one local compilation on which all the above artists, as well as a few others, can be found. ;)

Edited by Fierce Critter

I can't think of a better place than DGN Radio to showcase bands/artists like, oh, say, Alienare, HyperSomnia, Spacin, Firewerk, Access to Concrete, Camille, BlackSunday, etc.

Matter of fact, I think I know of at least one local compilation on which all the above artists, as well as a few others, can be found. ;)

Specific Tracks / Artists? Any of that would fit under the DGN Radio Mission statement (that is to oversimplify what it says "gothy sounding, high quality easy to like" but specific tracks. Even some of the lets call them "Mega Artists" i've only got at max about 5-6 tracks from.

I do have Seigemachine on there (local act) and have a few others in mind for the next "batch" of stuff i put on there.

Specific Tracks / Artists? Any of that would fit under the DGN Radio Mission statement (that is to oversimplify what it says "gothy sounding, high quality easy to like" but specific tracks. Even some of the lets call them "Mega Artists" i've only got at max about 5-6 tracks from.

I do have Seigemachine on there (local act) and have a few others in mind for the next "batch" of stuff i put on there.

I think you can listen to the CD yourself and make that call. It's been said my track could easily be played at City Club, if that means anything. But the version submitted to the compilation isn't the greatest due to low vocal levels.

I know which tracks I like on the comp. But that doesn't necessarily mean they fit the "mission statement". Thus, I'd defer to your judgement.

Edited by Fierce Critter

3:47 PM, 10/8- Front 242, Headhunter 2000- It cut out a couple times, came right back. Never heard another track do that, and I'm pretty sure it didn't do that when i've heard it before on here. Could be my connection.

I re-uploaded the track (which at least on my end sounds fine.) There is one part in the song were the levels drop (intentionaly) and then come back up, not sure if the cut-out you were refering to was a level-drop or an actual technical glitch sounding thing.

I have these suggestions:

*Adam Ant/Adam and the Ants

Anything by Adam and the Ants + Goody Two Shoes (why not? It's fun.)

*Jesus and Mary Chain

Far Gone and Out

Save Me

You Trip Me Up

Just Like Honey

Come On

Down on Me

Head On

Reverance

*X-ray Spex

(esp songs:)

Oh Bondage Up Yours!

*Morrissey

Interlude(duet w/ Siouxsie Sioux)

I'm So Sorry

Ouija Board, Ouija Board

Life Is a Pigsty

I Just Want To See The Boy Happy

Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning

The Ordinary Boys

*New York Dolls

Frankenstein

Pills

Jet Boy

*PiL

Flowers of Romance

This is not a Love Song

This is What You want

*Stranglers

No More Heros

*The Damned

Jet Boy/Jet Girl

*Killing Joke

(anything)

(not a band I've really liked, but it's goth rock)

*Virgin Prunes

(anything)

(another band I really dislike, but they're still very "collectable" if you're trying to round out the goth section of your music library)

*Gene Loves Jezebel

(anything)

*Black Tape for a Blue Girl

(anything)

(While Marilyn Manson claimed to be the 1990s heir to the gothic thrown, this band actually was)

Edited by Paper Hearts

I have these suggestions:

*Adam Ant/Adam and the Ants

Anything by Adam and the Ants + Goody Two Shoes (why not? It's fun.)

*Jesus and Mary Chain

Far Gone and Out

Save Me

You Trip Me Up

Just Like Honey

Come On

Down on Me

Head On

Reverance

*X-ray Spex

Oh Bondage Up Yours!

*Morrissey

Interlude(duet w/ Siouxsie Sioux)

I'm So Sorry

Ouija Board, Ouija Board

Life Is a Pigsty

I Just Want To See The Boy Happy

Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning

The Ordinary Boys

*New York Dolls

Frankenstein

Pills

Jet Boy

*PiL

Flowers of Romance

This is not a Love Song

This is What You want

*Stranglers

No More Heros

*The Damned

Jet Boy/Jet Girl

*Killing Joke

(anything)

(not a band I've really liked, but it's goth rock)

*Virgin Prunes

(anything)

(another band I really dislike, but they're still very "collectable" if you're trying to round out the goth section of your music library)

*Gene Loves Jezebel

(anything)

*Black Tape for a Blue Girl

(anything)

(While Marilyn Manson claimed to be the 1990s heir to the gothic thrown, this band actually was)

Thanks for the well thought out suggestions. I'll check into some of that which i really didnt even think of.

Haha... Yeah actually i've specificly been agonizing over Killing Joke, Virgin Prunes, Black Tape For A Blue Girl... Legendary Pink Dots and a few others becasue i cant seem to find like "the easy to like" tracks. BTFABG is ... like the same 3 songs over and over, they sound nice but nice in a soundscape ok were is the "hit" type way. All My Lovers? Shadow of a Doubt?

Stranglers im totally unaware of ill have to check them out same for X-Ray spex. Thanks for the heads up.

The Jesus And Mary Chain - I've got all their albums i think. All ripped on my computer, have yet to actually pick anything, probably just the push i need.

Virgin Prunes... hell if i can pick one or two that seem standoutish. "Pagan Lovesong" is supposed to be the "hit" but it really doesnt strike me as something anyone is going to go "hey damn... thats catchy" I've listend to like 25 tracks.

Killing Joke - Eighties is all i can come up with. (which is queued up for the next batch but there has got to be more than one dang song) another band i've been demoing the crap out of.

Gene Loves Jezebel is another one - Desire? Jealous? meh. Somone tell me some specific tracks heh. Its mind-wrenching.

The Damned - there is Grimy Fiendish (which is queued up atm) I'll check out the ones you listed.

Fields of the Nephillim... another delemia. Other than "moonchild" which seems to be their "classic" im stumped. Psychonaut? Dawnrazor? Neither seem to stand out.

I want joe-blow Gothy/Industro listener to be able to fire up DGN Radio and for the most part go "hey this is good stuff" i don't want to put anything on there that takes, lets call it... "force feeding" to get into. For instance , i might like 40 tracks from skinny puppy but there is only a very small handful your joe-blow listener is going to get into. (just as an example)

Thanks for the well thought out suggestions. I'll check into some of that which i really didnt even think of.

Haha... Yeah actually i've specificly been agonizing over Killing Joke, Virgin Prunes, Black Tape For A Blue Girl... Legendary Pink Dots and a few others becasue i cant seem to find like "the easy to like" tracks. BTFABG is ... like the same 3 songs over and over, they sound nice but nice in a soundscape ok were is the "hit" type way. All My Lovers? Shadow of a Doubt?

Stranglers im totally unaware of ill have to check them out same for X-Ray spex. Thanks for the heads up.

The Jesus And Mary Chain - I've got all their albums i think. All ripped on my computer, have yet to actually pick anything, probably just the push i need.

Virgin Prunes... hell if i can pick one or two that seem standoutish. "Pagan Lovesong" is supposed to be the "hit" but it really doesnt strike me as something anyone is going to go "hey damn... thats catchy" I've listend to like 25 tracks.

Killing Joke - Eighties is all i can come up with. (which is queued up for the next batch but there has got to be more than one dang song) another band i've been demoing the crap out of.

Gene Loves Jezebel is another one - Desire? Jealous? meh. Somone tell me some specific tracks heh. Its mind-wrenching.

The Damned - there is Grimy Fiendish (which is queued up atm) I'll check out the ones you listed.

Fields of the Nephillim... another delemia. Other than "moonchild" which seems to be their "classic" im stumped. Psychonaut? Dawnrazor? Neither seem to stand out.

I want joe-blow Gothy/Industro listener to be able to fire up DGN Radio and for the most part go "hey this is good stuff" i don't want to put anything on there that takes, lets call it... "force feeding" to get into. For instance , i might like 40 tracks from skinny puppy but there is only a very small handful your joe-blow listener is going to get into. (just as an example)

X-Ray Spex and the Stranglers were some of the first goth bands. They were both before the label "goth" had been attached and terms like "new romantics" were sort of obscure, too. This music is sort of a extra-nihilistic punk rock (and before the "hardcore" fusion punks), but these bands are bands that are recognized as being amongst the first goth bands, by critics, today. The Damned are another one of these types and they actually were "gigging" earlier than the Sex Pistols. Some people might be inclined to call some of the Damned's music standard-issue punk, but the Damned and bands like them illustrate how goth was really present in punk, from the beginning. The Damned were definitely an easily recognizable goth band by album Phantasmagoria.

PiL also stresses how punk/goth were so intertwined, being lead by Johnny Lydon, and really one of the first consciously goth bands, they appearing in the late 1970s. PiL's early stuff is brilliant, but watch out for their late music with guitarist Steve Vai--oh, it sucks.

The song that sticks out to me by Virgin Prunes is 'If I Die, I die', but you're right, it's quite a dilemma choosing from such a wretched collection of music.

Gene Loves Jezebel: Desire and/or Jealous would be appreciated choices, I'm sure.

Killing Joke: So unspectacular seeming to me that I can hardly help you. But you look like you have them under control.

Black Tape For A Blue Girl: This Lush Garden Within? -Fond memories of that song and that entire album, here.

Virgin Prunes... gawd, what's next, SPK?

well anyway... here's a few suggestions:

GUN CLUB: Walking With the Beast

STRANGLERS: Death & Night & Blood (Yukio), Men In Black

J.J. BURNEL: Eurospeed, Euroman

HUMAN LEAGUE: Circus of Death

KILLING JOKE: Love Like Blood

STOOGES: We Will Fall

RAMONES: Pet Sematary

MISFITS: Halloween

SONIC YOUTH: Halloween

DREAM SYNDICATE: Halloween

^It's sort of difficult to ignore the "new romantics", sort of Vivienne Westwood connection if it is a goal to have a comprehensive "goth" song que. What the music really was, before the kind of part-time metal kids came along and killed it, killed punk rock (killed goth), was punk rock--and I just mean that the moment you change something you've done exactly that; I'm not biased against the sort of metal/punk fusion, "hardcore", whatever, but it really shattered what the music was, forever...and it's a partially reactionary movement to many gen x bands going pseudo commercial (fair enough) but it mostly sprang from a gross misunderstanding of punk rock, itself. -Once the music reached people who couldn't understand it, there wasn't much point to it, anyway, I suppose but if one compares a late 70s California band like Misfits to the Jam, per se, what you really find is a group of kids trying hard to appear hard through over distorted guitar sounds and almost hysterically belligerent lyrics imagery as opposed to an actual socio-artistic enigma. The hardcore goth/punk stuff is really more of a bad cartoon drawn by really unaffected people.

And I am still recommending ‘No More Heros’, Stranglers. It illustrates a lot about the goth movement and somewhat related styles like Synth pop. And it was the terror of the British radio in 1977--quite a catchy song and probably quintessential for understanding the actual movement and all it's influences.

Lyrics:

Whatever happened to Leon Trotsky?

He got an ice pick

That made his ears burn

Whatever happened to dear old Lenny?

The great Elmyra and Sancho Panza?

Whatever happened to the heroes?

Whatever happened to the heroes?

Whatever happened to all the heroes?

All the Shakespearoes?

They watched their Rome burn

No more heroes any more

No more heroes any more

Edited by Paper Hearts

but if one compares a late 70s California band like Misfits to the Jam, per se, what you really find is a group of kids trying hard to appear hard through over distorted guitar sounds and almost hysterically belligerent lyrics imagery as opposed to an actual socio-artistic enigma. The hardcore goth/punk stuff is really more of a bad cartoon drawn by really unaffected people.

Well that's not quite how we saw it back then... & as far as I recall, the whole New Romantics thing was a way for Vivienne Westwood to sell overpriced World's End clothing. However since I was not actually in London at the time I certainly can't speak with any authority on that point.

But... anyone who quotes Stranglers lyrics is all good w/me... I can remember many pleasant hours spent wallowing around w/my two skater boys with the Stranglers & J.J. Burnel as the soundtrack. And with another pal to whom you bear quite a striking resemblance, now that I think about it.

Well that's not quite how we saw it back then... & as far as I recall, the whole New Romantics thing was a way for Vivienne Westwood to sell overpriced World's End clothing. However since I was not actually in London at the time I certainly can't speak with any authority on that point.

But... anyone who quotes Stranglers lyrics is all good w/me... I can remember many pleasant hours spent wallowing around w/my two skater boys with the Stranglers & J.J. Burnel as the soundtrack. And with another pal to whom you bear quite a striking resemblance, now that I think about it.

-Definitely not, the hardcore people were actually trying to preserve punk rock by making this hyper-noncommercial music, but they inadvertently destroyed punk, probably no one involved realized the effects of any of it, but punk was never about trying to make things the radio wouldn't play so much as it was about trying to make really different music that some radio might give attention to; punk was sexy and narcissistic, nihilistic, hooligan, where as hardcore was more belligerant and asskicking, it didn't have the same art to it. I mean, one can't change something and still have the same thing afterwards. And I can sort of remember the start of hardcore, I was one of those skater kids who used to listen to it...I won't say I was there at the very beginning, but, early 80s. And I also remember hearing Adam and the Ants music when it was new because I have an older sister who was in the fan club. So, one doesn't have to look far to notice differences between the music of Television or the Talking Heads, the Jam and the music of the Dead Kennedys, the Misfits, Minor Threat; hardcore really has many heavy metal references in addition to punk references, too many, as it were...and once the spirit of something is changed, it's something different, is it not?

^Actually, let me pose this question, if I may: Do you feel that without the appearance of "hardcore" goth music would yet be more like the music of the Banshees, or is it due in good part to hardcore that goth rock is not like the music of Siouxsie Sioux/Robert Smith anymore, but actually like whatever Marylin Manson is producing?

I didn't make the distinction when I was into my hardcore phase, truly; to me it was just punk rock, but I think looking back and considering the entire phenomenon, aside from those sort of leftover bands from the mid 70s which were still together making albums, punk was never the same again, the critics are right. Bands like the Damned changed over the years a bit, but they weren't at all in the same vein as the new music parading as punk or goth, through their various changes. Not really to belittle hardcore, but it's just important to make reference to the actual definition.

Edited by Paper Hearts

There are still some purists acting like the last 20 years didn't happen, produced no good work, and continue were it left off when it was "still good". Similar to the "progressive rock" movement which basically is trying to continue from the point were "stadium rock" starting coming in and re-creating what would have happened if "alternative" never came along. Which is all fine by me either way. Its "art" not , something more important.

I think basicly whatever music we were into once we started getting laid a lot is what is the "good old stuff" =D

Unless they start burning albums in the streets , its all still there to be listened to. Nothing remains the same anything you like is going to change in one way or another, same thing for anything you don't like.

If people wanted to they could pick any genre and study it, and make music (or subculture if they tried hard enough) in its likeness.

Often we throw around terms like "the point of" and "what it was about" in reference to very broad artistic subjects. We don't realize thats just SO subjective. Usually if someone describes a musical genre or claims they know the secret to its "meaning" you can be sure they are going to have lots of (well informed) critics.

Having said that, it is , in the end, not a space shuttle launch, its music. Many times we dont realize the vast majority of music enthusiast just listen to what they happen to like and thats it. There isn't any deeper intellectualized importantce attached to it. In the end its "the mob" that decides what lives and dies. But, they just like whatever they like they are too busy doing their homework or raising their kids and paying the electric bill to get to deep into the "significance" of some given musical genre.

^I don't necessarily dislike the hardcore movement, but if one considers it non objectively, one should, by now, have the conclusion that it was not the same. It was not the same for various social factors that indeed made it a significant genre of it's own right. I suppose that when one speaks of comprehensive, however, the original music and it's prototypes should be included. Perhaps not. I will say, however, that the critics are people involved in the scenes, many times as participating musicians, and they are people whom study music as a passion and the things they write are not so inaccessible that busy people have to be kept in the dark. I think if you're interested in something, then you'll read about it; I don't go on pretending that whatever I listened to is automatically punk rock because I would like for it to have been called that, I'm not so romantic in that sense.

http://www.fastnbulbous.com/punk.htm

http://www.southendpunk.com/

http://www.punk77.co.uk/

http://www.cbgb.com/history1.htm