• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

actually just tried to make one on yahoo, but the best i can do is a conference voice chat. fun as hell, but people can't just *join.* they have to be invited.

it used to work for another group i chatted in, but there has to be a better way...

someone said something about a free site you can host a chat on, but i think i'm reluctant to do that without troy's okay. bleh. maybe.

I think a dgn chatroom would be cool.

here's why we don't have a chat room, per Troy...

"DGN Chat?" Why there isn't one - Official Response

The board was created (and continues to operate) under the idea that we want to encourage clam longer-form discussion, and well thought out ideas. Chat rooms tend not encourage that kind of discourse. All this work building the userbase , was done under this (as well as other) concepts.

Its the Marshall McLuhan "The medium is the message"at work.

The play-nice rules , make it such that DGN is associated with calm, generally flame-free discourse, open chat rooms are very difficult to properly manage in that way if not impossible.

In addition, it is well known that chat rooms, when associated with message boards, quickly consume a large number of the potential ideas/posters in favor of the more lowest-common-denominator conversation chat room "style" on both the chat room and the board(s) that are associated with them.

Every eyeball that is on a dgn "chat room" is one that isnt on the board.

You can "chat" right on DGN nearly as fast (but not quite, by desgin) as on any chat system if you really feel the need. (PMs or on board)

There are lots of other lesser reasons why there is no "DGN Chat room" but the above are the core reasons why we have not put up a chat room.

As you might be able to tell a lot of thought has gone into this one over the 5+ years of "DGN's" existence (as well as the 10 month or so existence of the various incarnations of the pre-Spiral proto-Board era)

Its a popular idea. One that we've almost implemented several times. As it stands now a DGN Chat room would be more of a liability than an asset for what we are trying to build.

If you need to "chat" everyones PM / IM information is clearly visible in their profiles.

Note the above is not "set in stone" but its, at least set in sandstone, for the time being. We've spent so much time thinking about this one its silly.

Open chat-style discourse encourages honesty and discourages the sort of backyard fence catty gossip that everyone on this board participates in and suffers from ANYWAY. It's not "play nice," but then again, "playing nice" has clear drawbacks.

There is no way to have a serious discussion with well thought-out input in a chat room- so it would mean little to no competition for most of DGN's topics.

A chat room would cut down on threadjacking and petty arguments (at least on the board, but wouldn't that be nice?).

The only way to permanently prevent a DGN chat from being established third-party would be to IP ban everyone who tries to do it, whether openly or not.

All that said, I'll give it a week or so and I just might make a temporary free chat on one of those websites and see how it rolls. The BS chat last night in the Yahoo conference with 4 people in it was just too much fun to ignore... and I participated in that all while surfing DGN.

Open chat-style discourse encourages honesty and discourages the sort of backyard fence catty gossip that everyone on this board participates in and suffers from ANYWAY. It's not "play nice," but then again, "playing nice" has clear drawbacks.

There is no way to have a serious discussion with well thought-out input in a chat room- so it would mean little to no competition for most of DGN's topics.

A chat room would cut down on threadjacking and petty arguments (at least on the board, but wouldn't that be nice?).

The only way to permanently prevent a DGN chat from being established third-party would be to IP ban everyone who tries to do it, whether openly or not.

All that said, I'll give it a week or so and I just might make a temporary free chat on one of those websites and see how it rolls. The BS chat last night in the Yahoo conference with 4 people in it was just too much fun to ignore... and I participated in that all while surfing DGN.

you can make any chat you want, but it will not be an official dgn chat room, and it will not be allowed to be promoted on the board. this is troy's wish, and it *is* his board, afterall.

thanks! :welcome:

Guest Megalicious

I'm here, though it has been a while.

I got to run into Miss Mel and Phee the other day while christmas shopping, not to mention all their beautiful kids (minus one =()

I haven't been on much due to the new job and the boy. I work less then 20 hours a week and still have trouble finding time for shit. It gives me so much more respect for single moms (MISS MARBLEZ) that work full time and take care of their little ones, you guys are amazing. =)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...