DGN CD Volume 2: Musical Content

Fierce Critter

Something occurred to me while I was listening to a fellow DGN'ers cd today.

Is anyone up on the legalities behind using samples of other artist's work - be it snippets of riffs, dialogue from movies, etc?

I'm thinking that in the case of a CD that's being sold for profit - such as Vol II - you have to contact & credit the originator/copyright holder of the sampled work.

From what I've heard, some are pretty easy-going about it, and others require practically a writer's credit and kickbacks from any sales.

I was tempted to use some in the song I'm working on. But because of this technicality, I probably won't.

Something occurred to me while I was listening to a fellow DGN'ers cd today.

Is anyone up on the legalities behind using samples of other artist's work - be it snippets of riffs, dialogue from movies, etc?

I'm thinking that in the case of a CD that's being sold for profit - such as Vol II - you have to contact & credit the originator/copyright holder of the sampled work.

From what I've heard, some are pretty easy-going about it, and others require practically a writer's credit and kickbacks from any sales.

I was tempted to use some in the song I'm working on. But because of this technicality, I probably won't.

Good question... yes actually, samples basically have to be less then 5 seconds, or changed significantly enough (they say 75% whatever that means) to not be directly recognizable... In the past I have used either heavy effects to change the sound, or simply used a person saying the text of the movie to convey the meaning

Good question... yes actually, samples basically have to be less then 5 seconds, or changed significantly enough (they say 75% whatever that means) to not be directly recognizable... In the past I have used either heavy effects to change the sound, or simply used a person saying the text of the movie to convey the meaning

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be honest, I don't think it matters because only a handful of people will hear the CD. I doubt NAMCO are aware I used a Ms.Pac-Man sample on the DGN CD.

If we were to sell 1,000 copies or more I might be worried, but we won't, so I don't.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived