• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 12:02 PM, Soulrev said:

I love my birds! We have a whole mess of chickens, ducks, turkeys, and guinea fowls! No need to buy eggs, here! We've got an 80 acre ranch and a growing list of livestock, among other self-sufficient amenities. Hooray for off the grid life!

One of things I'd do if I won the lottery would be to buy a large piece of property (5 acres or more), have a house custom built.. and live off the grid as much as possible.  Wind power, greenhouse for vegetables, etc. and buy a cow and a pig every year (split with another family) for butchering and fill the freezer(s).  

My fur family consists of 3 cats.  Zoe, a/k/a Zoefoo, Fat Foo, FooGirl, and assorted other names.  She's a 10-1/2 year old pastel tabby and weighs about 25 lbs (hence the "Fat Foo").  Barney, a 5 year old lunatic in a cat-shaped body.  And Cherry, short for Cherished Treasure.  A 5 lb purebred Himalayan that is 3 lbs hair and 2 lbs mouth.  She's literally saved my life during severe blood sugar crashes.  She is losing weight like crazy, and I'm so afraid I'm going to lose her... she's the best kitty ever.

Yeah, it doesn't even take the lottery to do it if you're really inclined to do so. There are some nice plots of land all across the country that sell for cheap, if you spend the time to search for them, they're still around. In most places, the further you are from society, the lower the price of land. We are 50 miles from the nearest municipality, and approximately 30 miles from the nearest gas station that people say is in the middle of nowhere ;D

It took well over 10 years and counting to achieve my goal, but I did it with a lot of hard work and a little saving. The biggest thing to figure out is how to make the land pay for itself and support you and your family at the same time. We tried medical marijuana and didn't find much success because here in CO marijuana is so cheap people give it away due to the influx of growers, dispensaries, and investors with millions of dollars. Mom and Pop marijuana businesses are no longer a thing in Colorado. So here we are, switched to hemp and life is much, much easier. If you can figure out some sort of crop or even livestock to help support your off the grid lifestyle, and earn a profit, then you will definitely succeed.

• 2 weeks later...

Molly one of my chickens 🐓 s ‘egg bound’ which means she has an egg stuck inside here. I have tried several methods to move the egg. So far they haven’t worked. It would cost me $150+ times get the vet to assist with this problem. So I’m n a difficult situation.

Would anyone have suggestions as to how I can help her? 🦊

• 2 years later...
On 9/7/2023 at 12:07 PM, gwen said:

I want a pet chicken.

I want 3 chickens. That’s all that we’re allowed to have in Eastpointe. And I have to get permission from at least one next-door neighbor. Since one is dead, and the other two are young boys, I can walk over there in a skirt and heels with the letter I am pretty sure they’ll sign it. I know that sounds gross, but they’re boys in their 20s.

as for my family, I have:

A husband, whom I met here.

A son (Ian) who is almost 30

A daughter (Jupiter) aged 28

Two pit mixes (Silent Bob & Barb)

4 furry cats, including a Norwegian forest (Dita Von Teeth, Dust Bunny, Milo, Mae)

sphynx cats (Boaz & Skyndi Laupurr)

3 parrots: Suzy Hotrod (African Gray), Riley (Blue Crown Conure), Tiki (Sun Conure)

1 Indonesian Blue-Tongue Skink named Fluffy 

we also feed the ferals in our neighborhood. So yeah, they’re family, but they just visit because they’re hungry. Like college kids.

Edited by Anna Phylaxis