Stuck at home projects

Michael8402

3 minutes ago, TronRP said:

Forged in Fire is one of my favorite shows...who knows, if you keep at it, you might get the chance to appear on an episode. 

😁👍

I watch Forged in Fire all the time. I'm still trying to teach myself how to make Damascus steel. Right now it's a crap shoot on if my welds will hold or not in the center of my billet and the edges seem to blow apart on me so I spend more time trimming off unwelded bits to try to get to the good steel. I'll get it at some point. Let me know if you want any railroad spike knives though because I seem to be decent at that for now. lol

9 minutes ago, Michael8402 said:

I watch Forged in Fire all the time. I'm still trying to teach myself how to make Damascus steel. Right now it's a crap shoot on if my welds will hold or not in the center of my billet and the edges seem to blow apart on me so I spend more time trimming off unwelded bits to try to get to the good steel. I'll get it at some point. Let me know if you want any railroad spike knives though because I seem to be decent at that for now. lol

~~~~~

With a little more refining, you could actually sell those.  I notice the people on the show spend a lot of time on the grinders and belt sanders...is that the part of the process that transforms the blades from worked metal to finished product because it almost looks like magic watching it on TV as opposed to working it in real life.

1 minute ago, TronRP said:

~~~~~

With a little more refining, you could actually sell those.  I notice the people on the show spend a lot of time on the grinders and belt sanders...is that the part of the process that transforms the blades from worked metal to finished product because it almost looks like magic watching it on TV as opposed to working it in real life.

Pretty much. I roughed out the basic shape with the hammer and anvil and then refined the shape with a hand file.  Sadly I do not have a shop or power tools so I am pure rustic style and elbow grease. 

9 minutes ago, TronRP said:

~~~~~

I was able to actually forge the shape of the Seax in pretty well and just had to do some basic cleanup on it.  The hunting knife took more of a spoon shape when I was forging it so the profile of it was done mainly with the file.  I guess it depends on skill level and what you are trying to make.  I am not consistent enough with my forging so I get the bonus of developing my file skills at the same time. lol 

• 3 weeks later...

I made my first wire tree.  I think I did pretty well making this Cherry Blossom Bonsai.  Next I need to mount it on a rock or crystal. 

I learned a lot from working on it so I think I improve on my design and make ever better trees.  I am now starting on a thicker Juniper Bonsai style that I will be mounting on an antique typewriter to make a cool steampunk piece.

Image may contain: indoorImage may contain: indoorImage may contain: indoorImage may contain: indoor