Pet Tarantula

My 13 year old daughter wants a pet  Tarantula !  I may lose goth points for this but I am not a spider person. Snakes, rats, I am okay with them. But not spiders. Of  course my husband thinks it is a cool ideal .  I told them if we get one and it escapes that will be the end of everything. I will go sleep outside in my Jeep.   Anyway, anyone here have a pet Tarantula? Anything I should know before I get talked into this? 🕷️🕸️:sofa:

LOL...I'm really going to have to find this Goth Points book that I keep hearing so much about...because I do believe I've had to turn in my Goth Card a whiles back...🤣

I definitely know that there are many members here that raise spiders and some have mentioned their Tarantula, but if you need to make an immediate decision, you can speak with a handler at a repeatable pet store or do some online research.  I've also seen people discuss their pet arachnids' care on YouTube videos.  

My suggestion: Check this video first to give you a quick guide on Tarantula then go from there.

What Is a Tarantula? | Pet Tarantulas

"Howcast
Published on Sep 29, 2013"

~~~~~

Tarantula - Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantula

Tarantula - National Geographic Kids: https://kids.nationalgeographic.com/animals/tarantula/#tarantula-closeup-hand.jpg

The video made me laugh because who ever it was behind the camera was basically transfixed on the moving ones as if they were ready to make a break if the bugger started running.

:rofl:

12 hours ago, LadyKay said:

My 13 year old daughter wants a pet  Tarantula !  I may lose goth points for this but I am not a spider person. Snakes, rats, I am okay with them. But not spiders. Of  course my husband thinks it is a cool ideal .  I told them if we get one and it escapes that will be the end of everything. I will go sleep outside in my Jeep.   Anyway, anyone here have a pet Tarantula? Anything I should know before I get talked into this? 🕷️🕸️:sofa:

I am afraid of spiders myself due to being bitten by some pretty nasty ones when I was younger. I did a lot of animal rescue in PA for exotics though and I took in several Tarantulas. I actually found that Pink Toe Tarantulas are a great beginner pet spider and can actually help slightly with overcoming the fear. Although I am still not a fan of spiders, I was actually able to handle the Pink Toes and can now appreciate spiders as long as they aren't surprising me or to close to me. I will admit that I was bitten by a Pink Toe Tarantula once but it was 100% my fault. It didn't hurt and it actually felt like I had received a shot of Novocaine in the bite area. The spider was getting ready to molt, which is a very delicate time for them and handling them can actually kill them during that time, but I was not educated enough to know at the time.