What would encourage me to post more...

Knowing that members will still be aware of new posts even after I've buried them under a mountain of posts.  I have no idea how others notifications are set so I worry that if I post too much, someone might miss a post that pertain directly to them, but the poster didn't "quote" it to that person, so they didn't get to see it because I've smothered it.

DGN is my pastime so I read it like a screenplay or like I'm watching Reality TV...I don't want to miss a thing. :hrhr:

2 hours ago, torn asunder said:

I imagine my leaving might bring some of the old-skool ppl back, that might help...

I really don't mean to be out of line on this, but I've noticed that you've made mention of the above phrase on several occasions.  I'm not sure if you are serious or if that's an inside joke, but are you saying that you would leave the board, go on Facebook and make an official statement that you've left the DGN forum so that anyone who had an issue with you would know they could now return?  Because from what I see, your name does not show that you are even on the board the majority of the time and people still have not returned in droves and I doubt they are waiting for an invitation that specifically states that torn asunder has left the room.

Sorry...I was just curious. 

The reason I don't post much has nothing to do with the board. I think the board is great and I wouldn't change I thing. I just sadly live a rather strange life style that, although I am always busy doing stuff, doesn't really generate anything worth posting most of the time. I am also in the process of getting used to a new job and figuring out how to get my artwork going since I finished my school program so I do tend to be preoccupied the majority of the time.

21 hours ago, TronRP said:

I really don't mean to be out of line on this, but I've noticed that you've made mention of the above phrase on several occasions.  I'm not sure if you are serious or if that's an inside joke, but are you saying that you would leave the board, go on Facebook and make an official statement that you've left the DGN forum so that anyone who had an issue with you would know they could now return?  Because from what I see, your name does not show that you are even on the board the majority of the time and people still have not returned in droves and I doubt they are waiting for an invitation that specifically states that torn asunder has left the room.

Sorry...I was just curious. 

yes, that's what i mean. i'm still a sr. moderator, and i'm a very big reason for the mass exodus that happened at the time. regardless of whether i was right or wrong, people blamed me, and i honestly wonder if, as long as i'm a moderator, they'll stay away. i like this place, but i'm not so active anymore & if my leaving would help the board, i'd be more than willing to do so. tron, you obviously have things handled & are on here constantly, so i don't think i'd be missed that much.

just my thoughts...

7 minutes ago, torn asunder said:

yes, that's what i mean. i'm still a sr. moderator, and i'm a very big reason for the mass exodus that happened at the time. regardless of whether i was right or wrong, people blamed me, and i honestly wonder if, as long as i'm a moderator, they'll stay away. i like this place, but i'm not so active anymore & if my leaving would help the board, i'd be more than willing to do so. tron, you obviously have things handled & are on here constantly, so i don't think i'd be missed that much.

just my thoughts...

:grouphug

Then, I must be really selfish because I like the way the board is currently.  It has a friendship vibe...like the people are here because they want to be regardless of who is lurking in the shadows.  It seems petty to me that if someone is happy being here and playing by the rules is going to let one individual that they don't really have to interact with, keep them away, then they obviously have someplace else they WANT to be and using you as both an excuse by creating an out for themselves while getting back at you with an emotional, virtual slap in the face.  That's where you would have to ask yourself is that the type of member(s) we really want active on the board.  If they ran, they ran for a reason.  And if they are still that person when they ran, then...do you really want them back?

gallery_4589_1225_32118.png

On 9/17/2018 at 9:19 PM, torn asunder said:

I imagine my leaving might bring some of the old-skool ppl back, that might help...

Torn, it's not you. It's that "guest" guy.  Every time I come on here, he is always there and watching me.

IMG_0559.GIF

Edited by Burrich1

I've just been so caught up in things.  You guys were there for me when I was going through all that bad stuff with my in-laws.  Now I feel bad that I do not have time to post more on here. But I have not forgotten you all and I try to pop in and read stuff.   The "what are you thinking" is a good thread. Because I am always thinking about something. But anyway, I will see what I can do get post more. 

I originally left the board because I got burnt on being online too much. I also got wrapped up in issues that would go on here because I was a sr. mod back then. I started thinking it was too ridiculous of me to care so much about "online" stuff and so I just sort of came on less and less which ended up being not at all and that went on for nearly a decade. It just didn't seem to fit my life anymore as I got involved in other things and taking care of my kids, my job, etc. Getting into an old email account and seeing my info on there, for here, is what got me to pop back in and say hi. I think as long as people are still active on here, I will come back on several times a week at least. I still interact on Facebook with several I befriended on here like 16 years ago :) 

On 9/15/2018 at 4:16 PM, TronRP said:

What would encourage me to post more...

Knowing that members will still be aware of new posts even after I've buried them under a mountain of posts.  I have no idea how others notifications are set so I worry that if I post too much, someone might miss a post that pertain directly to them, but the poster didn't "quote" it to that person, so they didn't get to see it because I've smothered it.

DGN is my pastime so I read it like a screenplay or like I'm watching Reality TV...I don't want to miss a thing. :hrhr:

I think the answer to this one is to figure out how to turn off all notifications for existing and future users except for direct quotes or replies to topics that they personally started by default. (which would be via a SQL query that we would have to get from someone that knows how to do it from the IPB forums). 

You can manually choose to follow just about anything from a single person to a whole sub-forum.  The notifications I get (and I know others have complained of this before) are just too many by default.  Also, a mobile notification would probably work better.  I know that can be done but how to set it up I don't know off the top of my head. 

On 9/18/2018 at 9:09 PM, torn asunder said:

just my thoughts...

I've never heard anyone say they left the board because of Torn.  I'm sure a few thin-skinned people have, but F-em. You have tried to be fair.  So have I and they still get all in a huff, it's just how some people are.  Worse, some people take their cue from others rather than from reality.  Not much to be done about that except trying not to let it bother you.  Because 90% of the time it's on them, not you or I. 

>> The real exodus came from a ton of mods (including myself) that were very active online and in real life at the club(s)  went MIA for too long and thus not promoting to replace the natural attrition of any online discussion board and worse not posting (people leave if there isn't any content regardless of what the content is).  We always had drama despite trying to minimize it, we always had people leaving and coming back or never coming back and being replaced by new people. 

There are a lot of different reasons for specific people leaving had nothing to do with either of the reasons above, but they are isolated and probably glare in a particular person or person mind as to what the 'overall' reason was but it was no single person.    That and the rise of FB striking at almost the same time.  (Not that FB is a crushing reason as there are many, many active message boards that serve a different function than FB.   Even just what I'm typing now is longer than 99.99% of FB posts.  Mostly FB is mutual scrapbooking.  Not that that is bad, it's just very different. 

Having said that I don't really think that is the reason you don't post more. That is a reason you I guess feel bad (to oversimplify) which you really shouldn't.  You are wanted here just as much as anyone else and are in the top 3 people I personally want here.  Posting regularly or not.  One huge reason is you didn't just quit like literally everyone else has. That isn't to say people that left didn't have valid and perfectly understandable reasons for not being around much.  But, no one is here now that was here at the (very) start.  Not a single person. 

4 hours ago, JaneDead said:

I originally left the board because I got burnt on being online too much. I also got wrapped up in issues that would go on here because I was a sr. mod back then. I started thinking it was too ridiculous of me to care so much about "online" stuff and so I just sort of came on less and less which ended up being not at all and that went on for nearly a decade. It just didn't seem to fit my life anymore as I got involved in other things and taking care of my kids, my job, etc. Getting into an old email account and seeing my info on there, for here, is what got me to pop back in and say hi. I think as long as people are still active on here, I will come back on several times a week at least. I still interact on Facebook with several I befriended on here like 16 years ago :) 

I was calling you by your old DGN name for years after you changed it.  Hah.  I remember you leaving for quite a while once and then coming back, then the last time was a decade long.   On Facebook, my friend's list is probably 70% DGNers of one sort or another even if they were just part of the much larger DGN "real life cloud" that didn't necessarily post much but were associated with most everyone on the board.   One of the key people I remember missing for a long, long time was you.  

I probably have 50 FB friends that half of their friend's list is also DGN related even though they themselves may not have been on the board for 10 years.  Hah.  Hell, I have 3 married couples that met via DGN (at least) some of whole didn't even live in the same state (or even country in the case of Chris and Jinx).  That is the only one that really kinda burned my ass, as soon as they hooked up and Jinx moved to the UK I never heard from them on DGN again, (they were on FB but jinx had some emotional issues with hearing about things happening in Detroit that she couldn't get involved in and unfriended or blocked a lot of people so she wouldn't get upset.  I was more irritated with him than her since I was listening to him (and trying to help him) get over his like 6-year long crush (for six years of my life or at least it seemed like that) on a girl named Robin that he would talk about on and off board all the time.  But it been so long now.. whatever.  heh. 

It's nice to see you pop in.  Wish we would have had more real-life time to talk.  

On 9/18/2018 at 9:32 PM, TronRP said:

:grouphug

Then, I must be really selfish because I like the way the board is currently.  It has a friendship vibe...like the people are here because they want to be regardless of who is lurking in the shadows.  It seems petty to me that if someone is happy being here and playing by the rules is going to let one individual that they don't really have to interact with, keep them away, then they obviously have someplace else they WANT to be and using you as both an excuse by creating an out for themselves while getting back at you with an emotional, virtual slap in the face.  That's where you would have to ask yourself is that the type of member(s) we really want active on the board.  If they ran, they ran for a reason.  And if they are still that person when they ran, then...do you really want them back?

gallery_4589_1225_32118.png

I doubt anyone was on here for more than maybe a week that didn't want to be here for long.  I also know you are addressing a little bit different angle than I am.  But for instance, say they got dragged her by their GF (very common) or their BF just didn't want to be left out so they came, when the GF got tired or whatever then they both left.  (Happened dozens of times)   If it was torn's 'fault'  (i think that is the wrong word, its more like 'torn tried and they decided to throw a fit') much I'd be in shock, and if you try and they take it wrong it's on them.   I'm sure I've run more people off due to trying to get them to play nice OR even better... me saying something that came off wrong, and rather than talking to me about it they just run off in a huff than anyone else has a chance of catching up to my 'they left because of me' score.  heh.    But all of that was so long ago, I've not had anything like that anytime recently. 

Omg.  I just wrote war and peace and the internet ate it.  Haven't had that happen in ages.  GAH! lol

The reason MOST people (that is people probably not even reading this) aren't on DGN.

1.  Not enough people / content.  This has been true since before message boards proper even existed.  People (the vast majority) don't eat at empty restaurants. 

Even back in the day when we had 600 posts a day, if I personally would disappear for awhile the post count would drop or if some of the most active moderators stopped for awhile the posting would drop. 

The posting especially tanked when there was no one promoting the board in real life much.  We ALWAYS had a natural attrition rate that was fairly high.  People would leave and come back, but many people would just leave and not come back.  Often not for a bad reason, it's just how it is happens even on FB but they have a whole culture promoting them.  You have to reload that attrition with new people or any social structure eventually becomes a virtual ghost town. 

2.  It's not convenient.  Not compared to mutual scrapbooking 'social media' platforms, especially FB.   

We can work on that to a point, and I would like to , but it will never get to the level of a multi-billion dollar corporation's ability to make their platform easy to get to and psychologically addicting (yep they are designed as mutual scrapbooking systems to encourage small hits of serotonin and change the way your mind works, to continually seek likes and social validation. Many of the early creators have admitted this last part, several of whom openly campaign for change to what has become to be known as social media.

3.  Some people just never post on anything or rarely do. 

This one is not actionable or fixable in any significant way.  No 1 and 2 are the most important and no 2 is the most actionable (and the one people are least able to do including me).