Dealing With Someone Who Has Borderline Personality Disorder

Dealing with a person who has Borderline Personality Disorder can be very difficult. After spending months driving 2hrs to pick up her daughter to stay with us for the weekends because she can't deal with things and needs a break. Even though I have my own child to take care of as well.   Then dealing with her calling on the phone at all hrs crying hysterically and freaking out because she is having another panic attack. She has now informed my husband(her father) that she no longer wants him to call or text her. The reason for this came about because   he told her she needs to check herself into a mental health place for treatment.    I know it is all part of her mental state but it just feels so draining and so self center. She expects us to take her phone calls no mater what we have going on in our lives and listen to all her issues. If we don't, she accuses us of not giving a crap about her.  I get a pit in my stomach whenever her name comes up on the phone because I know it is going to be another drama filled issues she needs us to solve.   She makes it clear to everyone that she has mental illness but refuses to get treatment.    I am not without my issues. I have clinical depression and an anxiety disorder. So I should understand. And I do for the most part. But she is 31 years old, refuses to get treatment, and I feel she uses her mental illness to  manipulate . It is all becoming too much for me to deal with. Like I said I am not without my own mental health issues, and many times her hysteria has trigger a depression/anxiety episode of my own.  And frankly I am just mad because it is always about her and her issues and no one else's.   Well anyway that is my story.  The short of it anyway because this has been going on for years. Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. I just needed to get that all out. 

Is this my mother? You just described her. 

She says things like when I die don't come to my funeral, everyday is something and it's like nothing at all but she finds ways to make everything terrible,  she is paranoid as hell. I feel terrible about it because she's my mom and I hate admitting that she has borderline...severe borderline and the older she's getting the more paranoia and persecution she feels. 

Everyone acts like bipolar disorder is horrific but honestly this disorder is the absolute worst thing I've ever seen, it's common to mistake bipolar and borderline and they are usually diagnosed simultaneously.

The movie,  Small Sacrifices. Farrah Fawcett did an amazing job at portraying this woman Diane Downs, an extreme example of BPD but her behavior and everything is on spot. 

I was 10 when my mother let me see this movie on TV and to this day I can't listen to the song Hungry Like The Wolf without feeling some kind of way. I usually just turn it off. (If u seen the movie you'll know why)

Edited by kat