I'm double posting this becasue It looks legit but feels like I must be missing something and I want answers! lol 

So aparently there is free money on http://amazon.com I can't give you a directly link (as far as I can tell) but if you go to the gift card section, order a 50 dollars worth of gift cards (or one gift card worth 50 dollars) gift card, they kick in 10 more bucks.. so that's an instant 20% profit , and since amazon sells like... almost everything hell. I gotta be missing something. Its different than a "20 percent off coupon" since its basically 20% more money to buy anything with. I gotta be confused or there is a loophole.

38 minutes ago, creatureofthenyte said:

Free money ?

Come on now, are you actually gonna fall for that?

hehe.  Starting at say 25 , I've been around the block probably 50,000 times, so no.    Was more of a headline to get attention to see if it seems legit.   Its not outside the realm of possibility that amazon is giving away 20% "bonus  money" to get people to become aware of their gift card program , since for them its "store credit" and probably costs them like what...    5 bucks.    It just seems a bit too high.  But maybe not the more I look into it. 

3 minutes ago, creatureofthenyte said:

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Heh.  Never heard that. :) 

Typically the idea is if its a big brand name that values its reputation its far more likely to be legit than same some random BS company you never heard of.  I usually just ignore anything that sounds like a "deal" if its not from say,  EBay, Amazon etc that have long histories of not being scams, the probability goes up that its not a scam.  Thats not to say its foolproof.  (foolproof doesn't exist, fools are pros at being fools hah) 

Thing is with that, the probably isn't as large as you might think, its closer to say  90% of the time than  100%.   This isn't  something that sounds "too good to be true" (as explained above) it just sounds... a LITTLE bit too good.  Which is far different.  Its not some nigerian prince going to send me 5 billion if I send him 2,000.   

I'm a skeptic, just not so big a skeptic I miss out on EVERYTHING due to being so skeptical, and believe me I'm damn skeptical... thus even amazon which I have been doing active business with for years, I'm doing my homework on.  

On 5/7/2016 at 8:35 AM, torn asunder said:

this is a common occurrence around here with restaurant gift certificates around the holidays; buy $25 card, get $5 card, buy $50, get $10, etc. i don't see what's so questionable about it, it's just a promotion...

Yeah the more I thought about it the less of an OMG it became. 

I personally have never seen something like this for a huge store.  Not an open ended gift card ,  discounts on specific items but I guess I just never ran across this.

I've seen it for little niche companies or for particular kinds of items.  

Turns out its legit but I could only find one other person that could actually "see" this coupon and me trying to give my code to someone else never worked (tried with like 4 people)  

Sommer just poked around for awhile and amazon sort of just generated a coupon code specifically for me  or her.  Other people could never seem to get it to show up.  

I went all the way through to the last step but I don't have 50 bucks in any single location , so I can't actually use it.   

Yeah, this is a promotion. They really aren't losing anything since everything they sell is already marked up nearly 150% over what they purchased the item for. By the time you buy the $50 gift card you've already paid for the $10 that's supposedly free. This a very common business practice regardless of the company's size.  :happy:

3 hours ago, LadyKay said:

Well if I have to buy something to get something for free then its not free.

:stuart::happydance:bow

Omg, so easy but so very funny!

Right!!!!!!  

She just summarized the whole thing in less than one paragraph ¡!¡¡!¡¡!¡¡¡¡¡¡¡!:stuart:

Edited by kat

On 5/9/2016 at 10:11 AM, LadyKay said:

Well if I have to buy something to get something for free then its not free.

On 5/9/2016 at 1:48 PM, kat said:

:stuart::happydance:bow

Omg, so easy but so very funny!

Right!!!!!!  

She just summarized the whole thing in less than one paragraph ¡!¡¡!¡¡!¡¡¡¡¡¡¡!:stuart:

From a technical sense that's true.  I'm actually saying that all the time when I see some "deal".  I keep thinking its it free?  Well then I cant afford it. Its not actualy free.

Was more of a topic headline, not the details of the actual post.  Same thing that happens with newspapers (or used to when people actually read them lol) skimming headlines, ignoring the actual "story."

20% "profit" on essentially cash, and basically  guaranteed,  is really good.   Wish I had a checking account that gave me 20% on my money.  hah

A stock that i could buy for 100 bucks that would be worth 120 instantly afterward for instance, is non-existent.