Trying Helping Out A Friend But.....

Hey all I would like your thoughts about this. I have a "friend" who is under house arrest. Well he is aloud to go to work and to the store once week for groceries with permission from his P.O. Anyway, he has asked me to try to find him an apartment to rent as of right now he is living in a cheap motel. I have tried to help but the thing is that well you know when your looking for a place to rent, you need to go and look at it. Also every landlord I have ever had wanted to meet whoever they were renting too. Since he is under house arrest and can only go out for work. He can not go and look at apartments or meet the owners. He thinks that I should be able to just call these people up, explain the situation to them, go look at the apartment, then somehow get it rented to him. I don't know how to do this. I don't even know how to explain it because in all honestly who is going to rent to someone under house arrest. As accepting as I am of people I am not sure that I would even do it. His time is up in February. Frankly I think he should just try to hold out at the cheap motel until his time is up and wait until then to find a place. Any thoughts on how I should go about this?

Not to sound heartless, but this is not your responsibility, and the fact that he felt you were enough of a naive pushover to even request such a thing of you makes me wonder what kind of a "friend" this really is.
This is a "getting around the law" type of irresponsible requests, which causes the requested to put their personal reputation on the line to help the requester, who probably only remembers their "friends" when they need something of this sort (I don't know your friend, mind you, so that comment may not apply, but that would be very rare).
This is how you use someone as an "easy out" so if there is any fat that hits the fan, they are clear on a technicality and any legal fallout that comes from the situation is the full responsibility of the person whose signature is on the paperwork. That is grounds for doing jail time.
Therefore, this is a personal decision and you will have to live with any consequences.