Sounds Fishy

I have an item up for sale on creglist. I got an email reply this morning from a guy who says will pay me with a certifed check for the price pluse 5% more . He just needs my info for the check. (name, and where to mail) and I must do this ASAP!

This sounds very fishy to me. Nobody offers to pay more for anything.Offering 5% more sends up my red flag that something is not kosher here.I have not delt alot with this sort of thing but right off I am smelling scame.

Edited by LadyKay

Yeah, that also sounds like a scam deal to me. Anything involving Craigslist, Paypal, or Western Union with a certified check generally can be construed that way. From what I understand, the way these things operate is that they get you to provide the info to send the check, then they send it, you cash it, and then send them the item or whatever, and once they receive it, the other party puts a stop payment on the check and they get their money back.

A google search for "certified check craigslist" turns up all sorts of threads on people asking the similar question.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=certified+check+craigslist

I hope you have not gone through with this yet. I wouldn't.

Yeah any time there's a deal that sounds too good to be true, it almost always is. My friend got sucked into a scam sort of like this, and it was through some people who came to her university!

They basically said she could get a "job" with them, all she had to do was clear a couple of transactions for them.. I didn't know about it before it happened but essentially what happened was they gave her a certified check, told her to deposit it into her account, let it sit for 5 days then withdraw it and send it back to them. (minus 250 for her "payment") Lols..

Lol.. Yeah, so the check was for about 2,000 dollars, and long story short, SHE owes her bank 2,000 dollars now. They not only canceled the check, but they got her to send back money via western union, before they canceled the original check .

Not a bad idea for the scammers, double your money, I guess.. Fuckers. It's too bad her bank is holding her responsible for the money, but that's within their right.