Well This Is Just Freaken Dandy !

I've been packing my child's lunch for school so I would not have to pay for her lunch. As it turns out, the school has allowed her to buy school lunch even though she has no money in her school lunch account. So today I get a bill in the mail from the school for unpaid school lunches. I called the school and let them know I am most unhappy about this! But of corse they want payment anyway! Then they tell me they should not allowed her to charge lunches like that! But I still have to pay the bill! I cant win! No matter what I do I can't win! :rant: Now I own the freaken school money! And I said what was the point of me packing her lunch since I am going to end up paying anyway?

I don't see why she wouldn't know. I pack it every morning and I tell her "here is your lunch". I'm not really mad at her about it. I am mad at the school for knowingly letting her run up a lunch bill without me knowing about it.

Erm, will all due respect, good parenting would tell you to be mad at both. The school kid mentality makes her think she's probably entitled to it, and she's at a tender age where "entitlement issues" can ingrain themselves into her personality and linger into adulthood, so I'd set her straight before it turns into stuff like slipping fives out of your purse when you're not looking.

But with the financial issues everyone is going through, I really think that the school is out of line for sticking it to you like that.

Erm, will all due respect, good parenting would tell you to be mad at both. The school kid mentality makes her think she's probably entitled to it, and she's at a tender age where "entitlement issues" can ingrain themselves into her personality and linger into adulthood, so I'd set her straight before it turns into stuff like slipping fives out of your purse when you're not looking.

But with the financial issues everyone is going through, I really think that the school is out of line for sticking it to you like that.

When money is sent to school for lunch. It is put into an account and the kids get a school "id" card that they give the lunch person to swipe. My thinking on the matter was since I have not given her anymore money to be put into her account. That if she try to buy lunch, when they swiped the card it would have been rejected. I did let her know that she did not have lunch money in her account. But she is like 7 years old. I know adults who over charge credit cards. I don't see this as a sign she is going to grow up to be a criminal. I see it as her not understanding how money works. And when she gave them her card to swipe and they let it go through, she most likely thought everything was all right. It's not so much about the amount of money. It is that the school let it happen over and over again for about a month without notifying me until they sent a bill wanting payment. They should had contacted me the first time it happen. I can see them letting a kid who is hungry charge a lunch for a day if they forgot their money or lunch bag at home. But then the parent should have been notified right away. Instead of letting a bill get charged up.