Funeral Date Set Before Death

I don't know how others think but this seems very odd to me. This guy I know his mother has been very sick and not expected to live. From what I heard she was expected to die someday last week ( I cant remember what day they said) So the family went ahead and set the funeral date for Friday. Except the women did not die until Saturday. Now a lot of family members are unable to attend the funeral because they are from out of state and needed to be back to work on Monday. So they are going to cremate her and have a memorial service sometime later on this year. This struck me as very odd. I have never heard of anyone setting a funeral date before someone has dies. Even if you know they are not going to pull through. I mean why would they do that?

Not to sound insincere, but some people plan things this way as a form of time management. It gives the organizer a false sense of maintaining order over chaos. There is always the understanding that funerals are for the living and like most things in some people's lives, there is a time and place for everything so long as it fits within the realm of not disturbing too much the flow of the everyday. Unfortunately, one can never truly guesstimate all the powers that be so they shoot for the best of a worst case scenario.

(Also, not to be judgmental, but I usually hear about this sort of action from individuals of an A-type personality)

I may not have gotten the whole story. But from what I was told was that his mother died like 3 times and they kept brining her back. Still though I would think that one would have to be dead at less 24hrs before a date would be sit. I am not in anyway passing judgment upon their family. It is just that this is something I never heard of before. In my family, everyone seems to hold out hope that the person will pull through no matter how close to death they can be. They accept that the death is going to happen but still hold out a bit of hope that they will somehow pull through. So given my family background to set a date before someone really dies is something I have never heard of before. But I can see I guess if they call the family and say "grandma isn't going to make it till morning so we need to start arranging things" Everyone one is different.

Edited by LadyKay