my 1st idea is to research what materials might interfere with the scanner's ability to penetrate it, 2nd is to research something that would be equivalent to a "radar-jammer" that could be portable enough to carry on your person.

if they actually try to install/operate these things, i think there's going to be hell to pay. i don't see how any civil liberties activists/groups would stand for it.

fuck the government! they have no right to that level of unwarranted invasion of privacy, and the entire concept pisses me off! :rant:

Before I read this I would've rather stepped on a boat than in an airport to get to another continent because I'm not a fan of flying, it just solidifies that. I think the existence of Homeland Security and the TSA is the byproduct of poor foreign policy and decision-making. Not to discount that there are actual domestic threats in this country like obesity, Monsanto, and credit.

Before I read this I would've rather stepped on a boat than in an airport to get to another continent because I'm not a fan of flying, it just solidifies that. I think the existence of Homeland Security and the TSA is the byproduct of poor foreign policy and decision-making. Not to discount that there are actual domestic threats in this country like obesity, Monsanto, and credit.

I don't think that I will ever board an American flight after reading this either. I would rather make the four hour drive to Toronto and fly Westjet than go through this bullshit.

It will eventually be a reality, although I doubt anything even remotely like the 1 to 2 years that they state there, sounds like yellow journalism. The necessarily tech advances for this to work at the level they are stating are HUGE. I think cold fusion power might be ready to go before this is, and fusion is probably a decade away, minimum.

ASPECTS of this already work, but the Buck-Rodgers all-in-one molecular level, full body, scan at a distance at the massive speed they are talking about, and processed via some mega-database algorithm? Star Trek talk for the time being. If we had this, medicine would advance by a generation on one feel swoop.

This would fall under the same concept as the recent case about how using remote cameras to follow someone was considered an undue invasion of privacy depending on how invasive and what the particular sutation is.

The idea is interesting/scary/exciting all at once, but not anything I'd worry about happening tomorrow the way this tries to make it sound.

Just like any piece of tech it can be used for good or evil, the devil is in the application.

It will eventually be a reality, although I doubt anything even remotely like the 1 to 2 years that they state there, sounds like yellow journalism. The necessarily tech advances for this to work at the level they are stating are HUGE. I think cold fusion power might be ready to go before this is, and fusion is probably a decade away, minimum.

I hope you are right about this.

I hope you are right about this.

Even the most advanced scanning-tunneling microscopes in combination with advanced PET scans (talking multi million dollar cutting edge things here) can't do what this is supposed to do AT A DISTANCE (and the speed at which its done), plus the computing power necessarily to process it, is insane. Especially when they throw in the >>"molecular level, near instant speed, full body, plus referenced through some quasi A.I. database"<< insanity in there. To have this sort of thing done in 2 years would take something like the gargantuan Manhattan Project during WWII, and even that is iffy.

Not to say that many of the pieces of this are already in existence, (and some of the easier aspects probably will be put into place) just not even close to the level of sophistication that they are saying here.

But, I wouldn't say we are "safe" from this.

Its going to happen, and not just for surveillance, this would be epic for hospitals do have an 'all in one" scan. Its something that will probably become a reality within our lifetimes , just we will probably be grandparent age by the time its the way its described (if not great grandparents or dead).

Honestly though I don't think its as scary as it sounds, like any technology , the implementation is the issue. Nuclear bombs are far more scary than this would be even if it existed tomorrow. (Not to say I don't have my concerns.)

Will this speed things up at the airport? It'd better. Seriously though, I wonder how on the hook a person will be if they have a 'contact high' because they shook hands with someone who just got back from the shooting range.

The speed would probably be based on settings of what they will allow and wont allow.

When this (no chance to be ready any time soon tech) eventually becomes available, they'll probably have sensitivity settings based on the perceived threat level at a given airport/time/situation, and if its past a certain threshold either let people go by as normal, or hold them for a more detailed background check.

Once it gets good enough, and I'm thinking more like decades , not years, almost everyone will have various residual "contact highs' from all sorts of things, so they'll have to develop some sort of thresholds and quasi-artificial intelligence algorithms (and epic computing power to run it) at the same time to manage the insane amount of data a real, full star trek style molecular scan this would pick up.

It is interesting/extremely complicated if/when they actually try to put something like this into practice.

• 3 months later...

This article gave me the urge to go to an airport and try to get on a plane in a full suit of armour.

Mylar will stop the FBS but just like refusing it you will get the rough pat down. Maybe even more so because you tricked them into thinking they would get to see your goodies.