Are Industrial music listeners a dying breed?

WhiteLines

Admittedly my own musical interests have shifted over the last few years towards more darkly themed IDM, but I still appreciate my roots in older Industrial music and continue to listen to quite a bit of it. The thing that puzzles me though, is that I just don't find any people out there that listen to Industrial like I had back in the day (aside from occasionally talking to someone on the internet who generally lives very far away) I swear for years now I have not met another person face to face that listens to the same music or even knows what I'm talking about. When people ask me what genres of music I listen to nowadays I am met only with confusion. I have searched and searched, wandered the land, and poured over countless social networking sites... and I'm almost convinced that there must not be anyone within a hundred miles in all directions from where I am standing that listen to similar music as I do. It's a real downer... Where did all the Industrial music fans go?

The short answer would be I think: There never were that many to begin with, but there were "more". They shifted to more melodic hybrids, and newer people arent exposed to it at all usually. There are exceptions but its not common. I've been around er... 20 years, and even when I showed up other than Skinny Puppy you had to go way out of your way to get to "real" industrial music most of the time. Not that it was hard to get, but unless you were specifically exposed to it, you just weren't really going to go out of your way (I remember I and my friend Paul did, but we were not all that common examples.) that trend has gotten more pronounced as time goes on.

Long winded rambling:

I always had to hunt to find people that were (actually) into it, rather than just having a cursory interest. I mean I could probably name like 10 people without trying, but its a very small percentage of the total people that enjoy "this sort of stuff" (whatever we want to call the so-called "gothic industrial music scene". Don't get me wrong there is a market for it. I just don't ever remember "real" industrial music which I assume you mean like Skinny Puppy , Throbbing Gristle , SPK etc. being very popular. With good reason , much of it isn't "music" per-se and more "soundscapes" and such which takes a special sort of niche listening palate to enjoy.

Plus we are talking about something that's heyday was a long time ago, and even many of the artists themselves don't make "real" industrial music anymore. Sure there are plenty out there, but not with wide followings (not that they ever really had wide followings with a few exceptions).

Its kind of like what happened to all the glam rockers? Used to be big(ish) isnt now. (Fortunately, or unfortunately).

It wasn't until like Front 242, Ministry, NIN and such came out that your average "scenester" was saying they like "industrial music" which, I'm sure you know isnt industrial proper. (all of which remain fairly popular)

From the earliest days that I can remember (89? ish) Both industrial and gothic were supposedly "dead" meaning, not many people listened to whatever we want to define them as in terms of "real" industrial or "real" gothic. We tend to think there was this mythical time when the pure form was widely popular but if there was, I was never around for it.

The sort of "post industrial" and "Gothic industrial" crossover (EBM, Synthpop) stuff took over almost immediately. I do remember times/places were there was MORE "purist" stuff being played, but it didn't last long.

Out were your at I'm guessing that scarcity is even worse.

It's been over 12 years now since I last met someone who knew what real industrial music was, or at least quasi-industrial music. I feel I've become a stranger in a strange land anymore.

Industrial music by design pushes the envelope into different things. It evolves and expands over the decades, as it should. While there are a lot of subgenres of industrial music these days, it is still industrial.

While it has always been a fringe style, it was a little more popular I believe when there were charismatic quasi-industrial acts that were nearly mainstream, such as Nine Inch Nails. Currently neither Goth nor Industrial music has anyone of that nature. Some would say that is a good thing, because there is less "pop-dustrial" and "pop-goth", while others may argue that it is a bad thing because there aren't any more mainstream acts enticing anyone over to the dark side. Nothing being played on the radio or MTV to cause someone to say "hey, that was different and pretty damn cool, let me explore that...".

It doesn't help me that I am prone to going awol from media and communication for lengthly periods of time (like disappearing from this site for over a year) When I finally come to I'm oblivious to the fast changes that occurred in the world and I grapple around to touch base with something that is familiar to meInformation technology is making the world a much faster changing place, especially with music. I swear, there are new sub genres of everything popping up all the time.

It's been over 12 years now since I last met someone who knew what real industrial music was, or at least quasi-industrial music. I feel I've become a stranger in a strange land anymore.

TWELVE YEARS. God damn. Thats just gotta be bad luck. *comforts* I've ran into more women that like blood sausage on Fridays under a gloom cloud more often than that.

Industrial music by design pushes the envelope into different things. It evolves and expands over the decades, as it should. While there are a lot of subgenres of industrial music these days, it is still industrial.

While it has always been a fringe style, it was a little more popular I believe when there were charismatic quasi-industrial acts that were nearly mainstream, such as Nine Inch Nails. Currently neither Goth nor Industrial music has anyone of that nature. Some would say that is a good thing, because there is less "pop-dustrial" and "pop-goth", while others may argue that it is a bad thing because there aren't any more mainstream acts enticing anyone over to the dark side. Nothing being played on the radio or MTV to cause someone to say "hey, that was different and pretty damn cool, let me explore that...".

Yeah I was going to say something like "it was experimental to begin with so it would be hard to maintain a "core body of interest" in something that was (generally) intended to morph (or was assumed to be in such a state).

Although that isn't to say people can't fixate on certain things regardless if their creators change. People still fixate on The Godfather, but Francis Ford Coppola did a lot of other work.

It doesn't help me that I am prone to going awol from media and communication for lengthly periods of time (like disappearing from this site for over a year) When I finally come to I'm oblivious to the fast changes that occurred in the world and I grapple around to touch base with something that is familiar to meInformation technology is making the world a much faster changing place, especially with music. I swear, there are new sub genres of everything popping up all the time.

I sometimes wonder if there is an upper limit to the rate of change we can deal with. Probably something to do with the vibration of subatomic particles will be the final limit to how fast things change. hah

Yup, twelve years... although I attribute much of that to the fact that I'm living in or around the Appalachian mountains. I have run into a few people that listened to "aggrotech" type music but none of the ever knew what Skinny Puppy was for instance, and at one point I had an employee that listened to KMFDM. And thus I came back here to this forum, I figured it's very unlikely I every meet someone with similar interests to my own, but at least I could go somewhere that I can talk to like minded people... even though I don't live anywhere near Detroit nowadays.

Yup, twelve years... although I attribute much of that to the fact that I'm living in or around the Appalachian mountains. I have run into a few people that listened to "aggrotech" type music but none of the ever knew what Skinny Puppy was for instance, and at one point I had an employee that listened to KMFDM. And thus I came back here to this forum, I figured it's very unlikely I every meet someone with similar interests to my own, but at least I could go somewhere that I can talk to like minded people... even though I don't live anywhere near Detroit nowadays.

I will say inserting yourself i social situations, even online ones, can take some effort, as often we just "arent in the mood" but , maintaining relationships , for a lot of us takes a bit of work, since socializing just to "maintain" doesn't sound like a lot of fun to me. I know women that socialize constantly like its a hobby, for me if I dont have some specific interest in common or something to "do" (like play a game or go to a movie or whatever) socializing just to socialize its more like a chore than fun (often, not always, but often). But, I know in the end I want the social network, so I just view it as part of a means to an end. (socializing when I'm not in the mood) On some kind of regular basis, how regular I'm not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a virgin when it comes to the Industrial scene. My friend introduced it to me.

Your not alone, I'd guess 60% of the board is not all that knowledgeable about the music itself and is just around for fun/socializing.

Honestly there is almost no "industrial scene" really in any large numbers (in real life), industrial proper is like seeing an albino deer in the wild.

We "call" it "Gothic/Industrial" as the two merge together often and its often debatable what gothic or industrial even is.

"The scene" is more about Gothic/"EBM"/Synthpop hybrids and the million sub-genres or related genres. I wouldn't get to hung up on the terms used.

I'm guessing your new to Gothic too, so really this is a technical discussion that is probably pretty zzzzzzzzz.

One problem you'll run into is people that are "into this stuff" will tend not to just play "the hits" lets call them, that is, stuff that is easy to like and is well known (which they should if the goal is to enlarge the audience) but will plaly more and more obscure things, that aren't necessarily easy to like to essentially "impress people" in a sense.

I used to have several playlists of the lets call them "iconic" songs sort of goth/industrial 101 type things (and CDs to pass out) all ready to go and youtube links but do not at the moment.

Your not alone, I'd guess 60% of the board is not all that knowledgeable about the music itself and is just around for fun/socializing.

Honestly there is almost no "industrial scene" really in any large numbers (in real life), industrial proper is like seeing an albino deer in the wild.

We "call" it "Gothic/Industrial" as the two merge together often and its often debatable what gothic or industrial even is.

"The scene" is more about Gothic/"EBM"/Synthpop hybrids and the million sub-genres or related genres. I wouldn't get to hung up on the terms used.

I'm guessing your new to Gothic too, so really this is a technical discussion that is probably pretty zzzzzzzzz.

One problem you'll run into is people that are "into this stuff" will tend not to just play "the hits" lets call them, that is, stuff that is easy to like and is well known (which they should if the goal is to enlarge the audience) but will plaly more and more obscure things, that aren't necessarily easy to like to essentially "impress people" in a sense.

I used to have several playlists of the lets call them "iconic" songs sort of goth/industrial 101 type things (and CDs to pass out) all ready to go and youtube links but do not at the moment.

The scene yes, but Gothic stuff in general? No. I tend to be one of those cases where someone "is a natural" when it comes to this kinda stuff.

The scene yes, but Gothic stuff in general? No. I tend to be one of those cases where someone "is a natural" when it comes to this kinda stuff.

Hard for me to grasp how anyone could "naturally" know about any specific genre of music (what this topic is about). I mean I was reading Mickey Mouse and the haunted house when I was 6 years old but that didn't teach me anything about music, which I assumed is what you were talking about. Maybe i'm just confused. Not trying to be argumentative, I always mean well, it just doesn't compute in my brain.

Hard for me to grasp how anyone could "naturally" know about any specific genre of music (what this topic is about). I mean I was reading Mickey Mouse and the haunted house when I was 6 years old but that didn't teach me anything about music, which I assumed is what you were talking about. Maybe i'm just confused. Not trying to be argumentative, I always mean well, it just doesn't compute in my brain.

I mean that I was pretty much doing the whole goth aesthetic well before I knew what goth was. Someone called me a goth when I was 14 and I looked it up. That's how I got into it

I mean that I was pretty much doing the whole goth aesthetic well before I knew what goth was. Someone called me a goth when I was 14 and I looked it up. That's how I got into it

Yeah after I posted that I thought, you know what she means. Dummy *bonks self* Yeah I think a lot of us were like that. (and others had no clue at all, there's a wide spectrum).

I feel a lot like the movie Clerks when I say this but "im taking it back". I bought some speakers for my ipod and been blasting combichrist, fleshfield, Neuroticfish, Accessory, Assemblage 23, VNV Nation, Covenant, Rotarsand, etc in my barracks and most my guys here instantly were hooked, now where bajaing across afghanistan blasting it, and screaming to it. Haha I tell you, theres nothing better to get you pumped then combichrist before you bring down apacolypse on a group of unworthy opponets.

What is "industrial" music to you? As stated before, what the general public considers "industrial" is more synth-pop or ebm than industrial due to the advances in technology, the way artists are using that technology, and what audiences want to listen to (thus what record labels are releasing as industrial). In truth, real industrial music is more soundscapes as Troy mentioned (think Einstürzende Neubauten with their trademark use of custom-built instruments, predominantly made out of scrap metal and building tools, and noises, in addition to standard musical instruments). Sadly, most of this music is considered "unlistenable" by the general public.

Personally, I'm into all forms of industrial music. Being a musician who has seen firsthand the advancements in technology (and how it's affected my own songwriting), I've come to embrace the changes in the scene since the late 90s. Overall, it was many of the industrial rock bands from this period, such as Diatribe, Chemlab, 16Volt, Stabbing Westward, and Treponum Pal, that got me into the scene in the first place.

In regards to your question "Are Industrial music listeners a dying breed?", I believe the answer is "not really"... I believe that most people simply aren't exposed to enough of it. Over the past few years, I've introduced some of my co-workers (who were mostly between the ages of 18 and 25 and open minded) to a wide variety of industrial sub-genres, and have been met with surprisingly positive feedback. As I stated before, it's about what sells, and the record industry has dubbed industrial as a fad, and swept it under the rug. Those of us who's life has been impacted by these artists will continue listening to their music. I do understand that most people are a little irritated by how the genre has changed over the years, but they are still listening to the same music (just not what's modern).

First off good to see you on the board again. Hopefully we can get you to stick around. :welcome:

What is "industrial" music to you? As stated before, what the general public considers "industrial" is more synth-pop or ebm than industrial due to the advances in

Thats a hard one, almost as bad as "what is art?" messy, gray area almost philosophical question. (see above) But I think most people would tend to assume it means "traditional industrial" which (like you and I both say) people just aren't exposed to much. Even though we use the term "industrial" in common parlance to mean a wide variety of stuff hat wouldn't be considered "real" industrial. (not that I care all that much what its called, but labels are useful for communication)

In regards to your question "Are Industrial music listeners a dying breed?", I believe the answer is "not really"... I believe that most people simply aren't exposed

I had this same reasoning, but came up with the opposite conclusion. I guess it depends on what "dying" means. I my mind that means "there are becoming less people on average that are interested in it" or are you thinking about that question differently?

• 4 months later...

I wouldnt say its a dying breed at all. There are pleanty of industrial groups out there its just the clubs we go to where some of the dj's cram the same shit into our ear drums every weekend. look up Cynical Mass!

• 2 weeks later...

MEMBER IV: i'm a HUGE fan of industrial music. i love Throbbing Gristle, SPK, old power-electronics, all that stuff... i also very much enjoy dancing to Skinny Puppy, FLA, NIN, wax-trax and all that jazz... i make music like the old schoolers, and i like making dubstep and danceable industrial too. i'm a hardware guy.

what are you doing in the Appalachians sir? you should be making "real" industrial music. it's actually NOT expensive to make, it's damn fun, you know that there IS a scene for that kind of industrial in Detroit as well as many other large cities. how should i explain it?

early-industrial styled music got repackaged, most people call it "noise" and sometimes it's nothing but a headache. its become a weird trendy thing, but i don't mind because it gives me more exposure for what i'm doing musically. like any other genre of music, 99% of it isn't valid to any one person interested, however you just have to dig about and do your own research.

there are SOOOOOOO many incredible industrial-artists all over the world, right now even, the problem is that most of them get thrown into the "noise" category by people that just aren't accustomed to the sound.

yup. sometimes industrial music is NOT dance music, sometimes it hurts our ears even, but most importantly SOMETIMES INDUSTRIAL MUSIC IS JUST CALLED "NOISE" THESE DAYS :)

that's the unfortunate truth...