Movie Adaptation of World War Z Now Official

The long anticipated movie adaptation of Max Brooks' World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War has finally been officially announced at the 2011 San Diego Comic-Con. Starring Brad Pitt as "The Interviewer", it is currently being filmed in Malta and will also be shooting in Scotland. Other locations TBA. The film is set to be released in the summer of 2012.

For those of you who have not read the book, here is a short description:

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War (abbreviated WWZ) is a 2006 post-apocalyptic horror novel by Max Brooks. It is a follow-up to his 2003 book The Zombie Survival Guide. Rather than a grand overview or narrative, World War Z is a collection of individual accounts in the form of first-person anecdote. Brooks plays the role of an agent of the United Nations Postwar Commission who published the report a decade after the Zombie War. The United Nations left out much of his work from the official report, choosing to focus on facts and figures from the war rather than individual stories; these form the bulk of the novel. The interviews chart a decade-long war against zombies from the view point of many different people of various nationalities. The personal accounts also describe the changing religious, geo-political, and environmental aftermath of the Zombie War.

World War Z was inspired by The Good War, an oral history of World War II by Studs Terkel; and by the zombie films of director George Romero. Brooks used World War Z to comment on social issues like government ineptitude and American isolationism, while also examining themes of survivalism and uncertainty. Critics have praised the novel for reinventing the zombie genre; the audiobook version, performed by a full cast including Alan Alda, Mark Hamill and John Turturro, won an Audie Award in 2007.

Seriously, people, if you haven't read it, I suggest doing so ASAP. It is absolutely brilliant.

eh...I feel the zombie genre has been done so much that its hard to make something worth watching these days. Especially after "28 Days Later" (great movie) revived the genre. Even the last Romero movie wasnt that great (but still good because its Romero). The last zombie movie I saw that I really enjoyed was "Pontypool" Because it was a very original concept as far as zombie films go...

I'm just hoping that they keep Brad Pitt's appearances to a minimum (his character was just a narrator of sorts in the book) and that they decide to go with quality rather than profit, especially when it comes to the rating. Last rumour was that it will have a PG-13 theatre release with a possible R or not rated DVD release. I also hope that they focus more on the social and political issues presented in the book rather than straight-up action.

I'm just hoping that they keep Brad Pitt's appearances to a minimum (his character was just a narrator of sorts in the book) and that they decide to go with quality rather than profit, especially when it comes to the rating. Last rumour was that it will have a PG-13 theatre release with a possible R or not rated DVD release. I also hope that they focus more on the social and political issues presented in the book rather than straight-up action.

ewww PG-13...There are only a handful of PG-13 Horror movies that are good...actually probably less than a handful :/

I know. Which is why I'm kinda concerned. I would prefer if they filmed it with the story and the fans in mind and not just focus on the money, but its Hollywood. Expecting them to make profit less important is like expecting to walk into Walmart and NOT see some creepy redneck. Just isn't going to happen.

I retract my statement about "Pontpool". Even though that movie is great, its not the last Z-Horror I saw that I enjoyed, it was "Night of the Living Dorks". That movie was great! Although an obvious comedy.

I just try to give up any hope of a movie being anything like the book(s) and if they ARE like the book(s) I'm pleasantly surprised, but i start out with the idea that its Hollywood and also that they are cramming a whole book into a 2 hour space, so in essence the most I hope for is some vague resemblance to the book (which is how it is basically 80% of the time) and not really "a movie version of the book" "vaguely , remotely resembling the book" would probably be a better way to put it. hah.

I'm good with them doing any genre 100000X , not like they stopped making love stories after Romeo & Juliet was published. Just per usual, the devil is in the details.