Earliest Musical "Favorite"

Troy Spiral

What is the first band/artist you can really remember liking specifically as "your music" lets call it. (Figured I'd start a seprate topic rather than hijack mikie's)

I can vaugely remember listening to my parents music and "liking it" when I was maybe 5-6? But I didn't think about it in terms of "this is my favorite or one of my favorites" until i was probably in my early teens. It was just all sort of in the background.

I remember being into the electronics from Tangerine Dream and a lot of my older brother's music first (Depeche Mode, The Cure, Ministry...) The first few bands I got into independently I would say were Skinny Puppy, KMFDM, Front 242, Meatbeat Manifesto, and Frontline Assembly.

I remember being into the electronics from Tangerine Dream and a lot of my older brother's music first (Depeche Mode, The Cure, Ministry...) The first few bands I got into independently I would say were Skinny Puppy, KMFDM, Front 242, Meatbeat Manifesto, and Frontline Assembly.

Seriously? Damn. I have no such even remotely street-cred level stuff in any of my earliest musical bias. Couldn't have named any of bands you list at that time... I'm actually not even sure a few of them existed, although I'm thinking about it back in the age 10 era which, is er over 20 years ago.

What are we talking about here? Like high school?

Seriously? Damn. I have no such even remotely street-cred level stuff in any of my earliest musical bias. Couldn't have named any of bands you list at that time... I'm actually not even sure a few of them existed, although I'm thinking about it back in the age 10 era which, is er over 20 years ago.

What are we talking about here? Like high school?

Hmmm... Saw Tangerine Dream when I was 12... saw Mode and The Cure When I was 13 and Went to the first Lolapalooza when I was 14... as well as Siouxie when she toured with TKK at 14... kind of lost track after that... I saw Skinny Puppy when I was 15 (I think I had turned 15 anyway) on the Last Rights tour in '92.

I guess when I really started finding my way in music it was Black Sabbath, Rolling Stones, Eagles, Led Zepplin,Kiss, Queen and of course I stole many influences from my Moms singers like Kris Kristofferson, Johnny Cash, Roger Miller also oldies from the 50's like this one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW5aqE6Ukyk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWaMg4tOhQI

......oh and I found this band called STARZ

I was rarely into "what was out at the time" (still am not) I'm just into "good stuff" regardless if it came out last year or 50 years ago. (One of the reasons I tend to ignore "omg this is NEW!" type comments. OMG REALLY ITS NEW? NO WAY??? pffft. lol

I guess the first band(s) i can think of that I thought of as "my music" hrmm....

Talking really young /ponder.

The Who - used to listen to their album "Tommy" over and over again. Their song "The Seeker" was/is a theme song of mine for 25 years.

Johannes Brahms

(god classical sounds like ass on the internet.)

Oh oh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVLFlkehGuU&feature=related

Shit love this one, yeah yeah 10 years before my time whatever.

Damn I'm starting to notice a pattern I didn't even know was there. Never felt "depressed" as a kid, but apparenltly my musical tastes tended toward the "introspective". "I am a rock?" music to slit your wrists too? hah.

All this is like at 10-14. Switched to more "DGN Accptable" type stuff pretty soon after, but I've never forsaken any type of music. Elitists = pffft. Yeah I like LL Cool J too.

Nothing could compare to Michael Jackson's "Thriller". They'd play the video on the screen at Skateland West and everyone would stop skating and just stand on the floor and watch as if it were a concert.

Another early favorite of my own was "She Bop" by Cyndi Lauper.

Nothing could compare to Michael Jackson's "Thriller". They'd play the video on the screen at Skateland West and everyone would stop skating and just stand on the floor and watch as if it were a concert.

*blink*

I think I just saw a ghost....

I guess when I really started finding my way in music it was Black Sabbath, Rolling Stones, Eagles, Led Zepplin,Kiss, Queen and of course I stole many influences from my Moms singers like Kris Kristofferson, Johnny Cash, Roger Miller also oldies from the 50's like this one....

......oh and I found this band called STARZ

Just watched that starz video , never heard of them before. Real familair with the rest of the stuff there, all good times.

Johnny Cash is still one of my key guys I listen to and I LOVE that Mungo Jerry song, but I didn't get into any of that stuff till later in life like.. late high school.

probably this:

...because this was the first band I discovered for myself without having some older sibling, friend or cousin introduce me to them.

First time i ever was able to recognize an ELP song. I've heard the band name over the years but never could name a song by them until just now.

Weird Al without a doubt.

Love that guy. Seriously. I haven't really "followed" him, but every time i dig around and listen to his various songs its time well spent. One of his newer ones "White and Nerdy" (newer as in, not from my pre high school days) is one of my theme songs. (I have 3 hah)

WTF Skateland? I used to go to skate land all the time... even though its close to my house I didn't realize it was still there (which it is)

Yeah just after the few guys I listed above i got into Micheal, despite his now really bad image, he really was a musical genius an thriller is "THE" album MJ album. Although my favorite of his is Man In The Mirror, people should live by that song.

Was a big fan of Cindi too, although again a bit later in life.

If we are talking about tracks and bands that truly shaped who I am and what I like... this track is probably one of the most influential in my psyche.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqWwbMdMrhQ

I tihnk i have every ozzy album up until abbout er... 2000 ish, not sure if he has any stuff newer than that I assume he does.

Seriously guys? I mean almost everything above I got into at some point, but it was all later in life say high school early Jr. high (at least) my really early stuff is all , lets call it , er... not even remotely DGN-ish.

I guess a lot of it had to do with my parents , when i was young being them sterotypcial christian anything even remotely "wild" is bad, and on top of it they were good at keeping me away from it (until i started into my teens) so i had very little exposure to anything even remotely like say Black Sabbath or even Kraftwerk. (They would have HATED harry potter if it had been around then).

I tihnk i have every ozzy album up until abbout er... 2000 ish, not sure if he has any stuff newer than that I assume he does..

I was also pretty much a Fundamentalist Christian kid. So I didn't have anything I latched onto until High School, Black Sabbath and Ozzy were the first bands that come to mind. Fellow geeks a grade above me got me into it. Ozzy has newer stuff, I like some of it, but it doesn't top the old stuff.