Hello everyone. Gabriel here, 35 yrs old. "Elder" goth as it were. Got intro'ed to DCD, Xtian Death and SoM in 93 and never looked back.

Tell me, how's the scene? Will I have to deal with Emo runts or S&M vampires? What about the music? Deathrock? Ethereal? Industrial?

Uhmm as an advicator against all things emo I understand your concern. Sadly, since emo isn't actually a shoot off of goth, it's a product of the preppy mainstream, anywhere in America where there is a ritzy suburban area full of spoiled preppy brats who've decided they want to make mommy and daddy mad for not buying them a Camaro is where you will have emo. Sad to say, we have ritzy suburban areas (I don't go in them, that's how I avoid emo).

S&M Vampires? Erm, we have a rather healthy fetish scene. I've run into very few vampires that are actually what you'd consider practicing. Most people that are into it around here, or any fetish scene really, I have noticed tend to be pretty mature. Not all-in-your-face about it, or "ooh lookit me!", although there's always going to be a few like that in any group. Detroit even hosts Dirty Show (which just ended) and given the subject matter of the event, everyone tends to actually handle themselves very well there and in a mature fashion. So to answer this: yes to the S&M Fetish/Vampire scene, not so much to teeny-bopper assortments like "OMFG LOOKIT MY FANGS! I HAVE GLITTER ON SO I CAN SPARKLE IN SUN LIKE EDWARD!" But the Twilight people usually are in grade school and can't get into clubs anyway, maybe that explains their absense.

Musically speaking? We're somewhat diverse, but most tend to gravitate towards Industrial/EBM. There are deathrockers out there lingering, and some events where you can hear some tracks, but isn't quite as prominent.

Sorry for being long winded, but you had questions :laugh:. Overall, Detroit is a pretty good place to be a goth or rivethead. I'm sure there's more boomin' cities out there, but we're definitely not at the bottom. The DJs wear themselves down going above and beyond to ensure that there are fresh grassroots nights popping up that are accessible and affordable. There's a dark alternative night on Monday, two on Tuesday, one on Wednesday, and then the local staple, City Club, is open every Friday and Saturday. Also, DGN moderators contribute to the scene by being socially active and tend to help with events that are less "club-night" oriented, but simple things to bring the goth scene in the area together for fun shit. For instance, between now and July there's four non-club events being worked on such as DGN Appreciation Night, Laser Tag (hella fun), and our camp-out event in July called MANFAST.

So, in summary, we don't have the biggest or flashiest scene out there, but we're fairly close-knit here. And welcome, we love fresh new blood :happy:.

Where are you moving to in the area? Do you know what city yet? If you're close to here and want a club companion when you first come out, I'd be happy to take you around :happy:. Some people feel weird going to a club by themselves, others don't have a problem with it.

Uhmm as an advicator against all things emo I understand your concern. Sadly, since emo isn't actually a shoot off of goth, it's a product of the preppy mainstream, anywhere in America where there is a ritzy suburban area full of spoiled preppy brats who've decided they want to make mommy and daddy mad for not buying them a Camaro is where you will have emo. Sad to say, we have ritzy suburban areas (I don't go in them, that's how I avoid emo).

S&M Vampires? Erm, we have a rather healthy fetish scene. I've run into very few vampires that are actually what you'd consider practicing. Most people that are into it around here, or any fetish scene really, I have noticed tend to be pretty mature. Not all-in-your-face about it, or "ooh lookit me!", although there's always going to be a few like that in any group. Detroit even hosts Dirty Show (which just ended) and given the subject matter of the event, everyone tends to actually handle themselves very well there and in a mature fashion. So to answer this: yes to the S&M Fetish/Vampire scene, not so much to teeny-bopper assortments like "OMFG LOOKIT MY FANGS! I HAVE GLITTER ON SO I CAN SPARKLE IN SUN LIKE EDWARD!" But the Twilight people usually are in grade school and can't get into clubs anyway, maybe that explains their absense.

Musically speaking? We're somewhat diverse, but most tend to gravitate towards Industrial/EBM. There are deathrockers out there lingering, and some events where you can hear some tracks, but isn't quite as prominent.

Sorry for being long winded, but you had questions :laugh:. Overall, Detroit is a pretty good place to be a goth or rivethead. I'm sure there's more boomin' cities out there, but we're definitely not at the bottom. The DJs wear themselves down going above and beyond to ensure that there are fresh grassroots nights popping up that are accessible and affordable. There's a dark alternative night on Monday, two on Tuesday, one on Wednesday, and then the local staple, City Club, is open every Friday and Saturday. Also, DGN moderators contribute to the scene by being socially active and tend to help with events that are less "club-night" oriented, but simple things to bring the goth scene in the area together for fun shit. For instance, between now and July there's four non-club events being worked on such as DGN Appreciation Night, Laser Tag (hella fun), and our camp-out event in July called MANFAST.

So, in summary, we don't have the biggest or flashiest scene out there, but we're fairly close-knit here. And welcome, we love fresh new blood :happy:.

Where are you moving to in the area? Do you know what city yet? If you're close to here and want a club companion when you first come out, I'd be happy to take you around :happy:. Some people feel weird going to a club by themselves, others don't have a problem with it.

Prepare for a long post.

The Detroit scene is bizarre. There is a big fetish scene and sadly, it gets mixed in with the goth/industrial scene very often.

As far as fashion, not to many old school goth/deathrockers around here, at least none that go out to the bars. Alot of the people tend to go for a cyber or fetish look. Sure there are some hipsters that go out, but sadly, those kids are probably more into the actual scene than the ones all gothed up in fishnet and black lipstick. But its not really about the fashion, its about the music IMO.

As for the Music, I would say it depends more on the DJ's than the club for what you may here. Although more of the people around here are into industrial/elecronic than goth/punk. Some DJ's are known to play much more goth/deathrock/spooky post-punk than others, the same goes for industrial/EBM/Noise. The bigger gothy DJ's are myself, Joey Deadcat, Justin Carver, Scary Guy and Aaron Hingst. But all the DJ's try to do whats right by them. Depending on the night, you could hear any number of bands from any era, although some DJ's try to concentrate on the current stuff.

As Chernobyl stated, there are several nights during the week to check out, as well as a couple of monthly events like "Something Cold" and "Plastic Passions". All of them with fairly different music (although it all falls somewhere in goth/industrialish sound). Some of the places will NOT play goth, others will only play it during certain parts of the night (gotta keep a dancefloor or whatever reason), it really depends on the place AND the DJ. Chances are you have a better chance of hearing Sisters of Mercy at Noir Retro than at Necto. I made a thread about different DJ's and what they have a certain love for, perhaps someone can link it for me...

Give everything a shot, and choose from there. Hope to see you out and about, although chances are you will only see me at Industrial Tuesday @ Mars Bar, Something Cold, and Plastic Passions.

Dont know why you moved here...but welcome.

Oh and btw:

*drum roll*

The DGN (welcome) Questions 2.1 ™ ©

Formerly the "S.D.G.N.W.Q.P.S." The Standard Detroit Gothic . Net Welcome Questions Polls and Suggestions 1.7b

Feel free to ignore anything you feel uncomfortable sharing, dont have the energy for or have covered already. We are just friendly, if a bit nosey. And we ask these same questions fairly often as you may have noticed. :laugh:

Current location?

Where from?

Gender?

Work?

School?

Kids?

Married?

Single?

Hobbies?

How Did You Find DGN?

Other Stuff?

Additional ideas / questions:

Add yourself to the DGN member map!

If you live close enough, are old enough (18+ for City Club) and/or are ever in town you may want to check out:

"DGN Night"

Or you can find out about other events near your area with the

The Events Calender

Some folk also enjoy our random pot of:

Quizzes & Polls !

How did you hear about DGN? Poll

And we can always use help finding new friendly people. Help us out and drag em on over!

If you have a website / personal journal link to us! :wink

Hello and Welcome! Coming from NYC, neato, did you ever check out Home Sweet Home for the Wierd parties?

My name is Justin, I run the minimal-synth/coldwave/darkwave/early ebm/italo disco/post-punk event Something Cold as mentioned above! We're a "monthly event", but usually have several partied within a month. I'm hosting the Salem/Silk Flowers show on March 16th along with a friend, for example. I play a wide spectrum of "cold and dark" music, ranging from stuff like X-Mal Deutschland to Snowy Red to even dark "italo-disco" stuff like Waxenia or Kirlian Camera.

Check out and follow www.facebook.com/somethingcold for info and news! I hope to see you out sometimes!

Detroit doesn't have a "goth night" proper as of right now, there have been a few in the past, but as aforementioned nights like Retro Noir/Noir Skye, Plastic Passion and even Something Cold occasionally play old goth tracks. Deathrock you don't hear a lot of around Detroit, sans for certain punk spots that will occasionally drop a 45 Grave song.

Hello. It is nice to know there is going to be another "Bat-Caver" in the area. Usually our population goes down and not up. Let us know when your in town and we will make a point to drag some of the more geriatric bat cavers out of the house to meet you at a club nite or event.

RIP Batcave, Limelight and the Bank :(

Awww...I would lop off my pinky if it meant I could have gone to Limelight when it was still around.

Awww...I would lop off my pinky if it meant I could have gone to Limelight when it was still around.

I remember emo in the 90 used to be loud, angry and powerful. WTF happened?! bear with my postings' odd nature. im on my phone and sometimes it

That has a lot to do with the fact that, despite what Chernobyl said, Emo was an off shoot of the late 80's, 90's Punk Rock scene. As a result it tended to be punk rock with an emotional edge, whereas most punk rock dealt in socio-political issues or just straight satire (Dead Milkmen anyone?). Then it got popular, and basically the artists that had a sound roughly similar to what existed in the Alt=Rock and Pop scene survived and the rest just faded away or retooled themselves into another genre. So basically the current crop of Emo is no different than the rest of the poppy bullshit out there.

"goth proper" (not that anyone could give you a clear, universally agreed upon definition) never really existed for an extended period of time on a REGULAR basis, in terms of a club night. There was lots of tries (and still are) but nothing long-lastning.

City Club is considered "the goth club of record" and is known throughout the region as "the goth club" and is by far most people that grew up around here's first experience with a "goth club". (myself I was at Necto (then called The Nectarine) back when they had goth down in the Sludge Club in the basement back before dirt was inveted.) but few would consider a 'real goth club' per se. It's been ongoing for eons (in Detroit-club-years) but its just sort of goth-tinged , no one on the "inside" would call it a "real goth club" and its universally complained about as being a rathole, but hey so is CBGB.

Despite that, I'd be there every weekend if money/health allowed. Only way to get the community rebooted is to get out there and MAKE IT HAPPEN. (also if music is an issue, DJs do respond to mass-suggestion, clubs are businesses, problem is theres also no organized, active push to get that done either.) Me im physically just flat out unable to do it anymore, at least for the foreseeable future. (mostly health issues, secondarily finance.)

Just remember, if people aren't complaining about something, they aren't happy. Death, taxes, complaints. =P

Detroit in general though suffers from a lot of white-angst, MASSIVE urban decay, lack of culture and has a lot of irritated for no good reason black-clad folk, so thats goth right? hah.

Really we just need more hugs. True story.

Hello. It is nice to know there is going to be another "Bat-Caver" in the area. Usually our population goes down and not up. Let us know when your in town and we will make a point to drag some of the more geriatric bat cavers out of the house to meet you at a club nite or event.

I'm always playing around with the idea of doing a "Batcave" aka early positive punk/goth/deathrock night on the side, but there isn't enough interest or passion for me to do it anymore. So all of my Blood & Roses, UK Decay, Sex Gang, Rubella Ballet and Specimen records and CDs sit at home. :(

I'm always playing around with the idea of doing a "Batcave" aka early positive punk/goth/deathrock night on the side, but there isn't enough interest or passion for me to do it anymore. So all of my Blood & Roses, UK Decay, Sex Gang, Rubella Ballet and Specimen records and CDs sit at home. :(

Me you and joey could do a batcave edition of SC? LOL

There's a dark alternative night on Monday, two on Tuesday, one on Wednesday, and then the local staple, City Club, is open every Friday and Saturday.

Wait, what's on Wednesday? Am I forgetting something?

Necto on Monday. Pop-industrial, EBM, far too youthful for my tastes but I still end up going about every other week or so. Mostly beloved by the glow-stick type. They play some good stuff but talk over it too often trying to "pump up the crown" or something. Meh. Not enough dance space. Dubstep/D&B in the basement Red Room which is pretty good if you like that sort of thing, or so I'm told, as it's not really my thing. Very popular night, lots of people, lots of fashionable young college-aged kids with glowies. Cheap vodka. XD Good times in general, but not my favorite.

Noir Retro or Mars Bar Tuesday. Noir Retro sounds amazing but I haven't made it out yet. Actual goth music! It kills me that Tuesday nights are hard for me. Mars Bar would be the opposite end of the spectrum I guess, really good current stuff you can't hear anywhere else, from what I've heard. I've heard really great things about the music here so far (it's a super new night) but I haven't been, and would probably have to hit up Noir first before Mars just cuz I love the 80s stuff. But as I've never been to either, don't trust what I say at all. ;)

I have no idea what's on Wednesday without driving down to Bowling Green. Someone illuminate me?

Thursday we have Dark Intentions at Fat Catz in Warren, it's also new, pretty awesome...I imagine the music differs a lot based on who is the DJ that night, though, since that changes every week. I went opening night a couple weeks ago with Void and it was great, but it's Void, so that's to be expected. I heard good things about this last week too but I missed it.

Friday and Saturday are City Club. City Club is...well, awesome in its own ways, and crappy in its own ways. Coming from NYC, I'm not sure what you'll think. But I think most people just don't appreciate how lucky we are in Detroit to have a place like City ... it's really quite special. Yes, a lot of songs are overplayed, but they're overplayed because they continue to be popular. And they play a good mix of some older classics near the end of the night (after 3am or so). I don't know, I will unapologetically love City Club forever.

Sunday there's Dystopia in Toledo, Ohio, which is not very far if you live in Detroit proper or further south / downriver. I'm north so it's a little too far for my tastes, plus it's a bit small and kinda too metal-tinged for me, but it's not a bad night at all, a pretty nice place. I only went one time, so I'm not really an expert. They did play some goth rock at the very end of the evening.

If you want to know what's played at any of them, many have playlists posted here regularly. City's are posted almost every night, and I saw a playlist for Mars Bar as well. Necto not so much, and I'm not sure about the others. But you can get a sense from those.

Noir Retro or Mars Bar Tuesday. Noir Retro sounds amazing but I haven't made it out yet. Actual goth music! It kills me that Tuesday nights are hard for me. Mars Bar would be the opposite end of the spectrum I guess, really good current stuff you can't hear anywhere else, from what I've heard. I've heard really great things about the music here so far (it's a super new night) but I haven't been, and would probably have to hit up Noir first before Mars just cuz I love the 80s stuff. But as I've never been to either, don't trust what I say at all. ;)

Yea, we concentrate on new/unheard/under played stuff. But you know me, Helena, Ill play spooky stuff, just more current stuff. Noir Retro is a cool place too, I hope you check both out.

Yea, we concentrate on new/unheard/under played stuff. But you know me, Helena, Ill play spooky stuff, just more current stuff. Noir Retro is a cool place too, I hope you check both out.

I really want to, it's not for any lack of desire to see your new night that I haven't made it out, I always like what you play. It's just that weeknights are hard for me in general, and a lot of times I'm too tired Tuesday night to even try because I made the mistake of doing Necto the night before! ;) But there's about a 50/50 chance we'll make it to Mars next week Tuesday. :)

Wait, what's on Wednesday? Am I forgetting something?

Haven't had the chance to hit it up yet, but if it is still going on, there's a night I believe called Slide In or some such, I have the flyer around here for it somewhere. DJ is Matte Black who DJed here and there at Dead-line a few times, if I'm remembering correctly, and elsewhere. Heard it was a decent night, it's in Detroit somewhere on Woodward.

Haven't had the chance to hit it up yet, but if it is still going on, there's a night I believe called Slide In or some such, I have the flyer around here for it somewhere. DJ is Matte Black who DJed here and there at Dead-line a few times, if I'm remembering correctly, and elsewhere. Heard it was a decent night, it's in Detroit somewhere on Woodward.

It wasnt rom time to time, he was pretty much a resident. He is also a member of DETHLAB.

Its nice place too! It was happening last week, pretty sure nothing has changed this week.