http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/6/25/1204/74882/511/541568

Daily Kos talking about Democrats that don't pull the party line...

Not all of these people will get or even deserve primaries, but this vote certainly puts a bulls eye on their district. If we can field enough serious challengers, and if we repeat the Donna Edwards and Joe Lieberman stories a few more times, well then, our elected officials might have no choice but to be more responsive. Because if we show them that their AT&T lobbyist buddies can't save their jobs, they'll pay more attention to those who can.

guesse who's district had a "bulls eye" on it? Do we blame Daily Kos too?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait until the media starts feeding the anti-gun bullshit that will surely follow this.

Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

The kid legally purchased his weapon after completing a FBI background check. There is no way to predict what someone is going to do with a weapon. We have plenty of gun laws restricting the rights of responsible gun owners. Nothing will stop the actions of a determined individual. No law or restriction will stop someone that is on a mission.

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

From the sounds of it, this kid was just starting to show the signs over the last year of paranoid schizophrenia. One of his college professors was on the news today basically saying how he made sure he got him kicked out of college because there was something was wrong with the shooter. Instead of getting the kid help, the teacher just got him kicked out of school and let his disease go untreated. Pima Community College failed this kid frankly.

From the sounds of it, this kid was just starting to show the signs over the last year of paranoid schizophrenia. One of his college professors was on the news today basically saying how he made sure he got him kicked out of college because there was something was wrong with the shooter. Instead of getting the kid help, the teacher just got him kicked out of school and let his disease go untreated. Pima Community College failed this kid frankly.

This could have also been prevented by his parents as it said in the article he lived at home. How could someone let their kid get this nutty and not think to get to the bottom of it? Even though he is grown, if one of the parents thought he was not fit to make decisions for himself they could have gone to court to have him involuntarily committed.

This could have also been prevented by his parents as it said in the article he lived at home. How could someone let their kid get this nutty and not think to get to the bottom of it? Even though he is grown, if one of the parents thought he was not fit to make decisions for himself they could have gone to court to have him involuntarily committed.

Also true, I hadn't heard that he was still living at home. I was just appalled by the teacher going on the news for his 15 minutes of fame saying how he got this kid kicked out of college instead of getting him help. The parents should have seriously noticed too if he was as bad off as the teacher said he was. I just feel that this whole tragedy could have been prevented if someone, anyone, paid a little more attention to his symptoms and got him in touch with mental health professionals. Now most likely he will be put to death because his paranoia lead him to kill 6 people and shoot a Congress woman in the head.

I also find the media to be vultures by making the parents of the little girl who died talk on the news today. It's like seriously the people just lost their freaking child give them some space.

What about "political" figures like Sharron Angle saying stuff to the tune of "sometimes it takes a Second Amendment solution to some of our problems"? How many more people will be incited to violence thanks to the hate speech being put out over the airwaves by Tea Party figureheads? This is only the beginning.

What about "political" figures like Sharron Angle saying stuff to the tune of "sometimes it takes a Second Amendment solution to some of our problems"? How many more people will be incited to violence thanks to the hate speech being put out over the airwaves by Tea Party figureheads? This is only the beginning.

I think this dude was incited more by the voices in his head than those of political figures. As dumb as Palin was to post the map with the targets on it, she didn't shoot those people, Mr. Crazy Currency guy did. It had nothing to do with politics and all to do with this guy's unstable mental state so I wish people would stop pointing fingers at other people and placing blame. The only person/s responsible for the shootings is the shooter and perhaps his parents.

Edited by KatRN05

I think this dude was incited more by the voices in his head than those of political figures. As dumb as Palin was to post the map with the targets on it, she didn't shoot those people, Mr. Crazy Currency guy did. It had nothing to do with politics and all to do with this guy's unstable mental state so I wish people would stop pointing fingers at other people and placing blame. The only person/s responsible for the shootings is the shooter and perhaps his parents.

Let me try this again. Palin did not post a map with cross hairs on it. Anyone with an 8th grade education or who has ever read a map knows she posted a Map with Map symbols on it.

Wow...I am finally realizing that the only thing colleges are really good for are making the mental problems and poor social skills of a future killer worse, pushing the professors political agendas in every class to create poorly educated activists with extreme bias that want to shoot people or just smoke weed...and a place to put all of the athletes that probably would shoot you if they know how to operate a gun.

Once again this looks like a shooting where the signs were being shown like hell yet nobody really seemed to check into things. With all the other shootings like this when will we learn?

I went to college and I haven't shot anyone.... that is a bit of a generalized statement :p

I wasn't really meant to be accurate...I went to college too and while I haven't shot someone I became alot more angry after having some professors teach me than I was before...

But even before college my idea was to go to Washington, take them all out behind the building and shoot them...but with the cost of brass today that is just not going to happen...

Let me try this again. Palin did not post a map with cross hairs on it. Anyone with an 8th grade education or who has ever read a map knows she posted a Map with Map symbols on it.

You really don't have to "try this again". I have a college education, thank you very much and I know how to read a map. I also know what cross-hairs look like and those are cross-hairs. I'm well aware of the intention of her map so you don't have to educate me.

Here is some examples of cross-hairs I found:

istockphoto_10644955-cross-hair.jpg

Edited by KatRN05

You really don't have to "try this again". I have a college education, thank you very much and I know how to read a map. I also know what cross-hairs look like and those are cross-hairs. I'm well aware of the intention of her map so you don't have to educate me.

Here is some examples of cross-hairs I found:

istockphoto_10644955-cross-hair.jpg

That was mostly aimed at someone else. Someone who said that anyone with a 7th grade education knows that symbol is a cross hair.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/11113687/USGS-Topographic-Map-Symbols

Scroll down to Control Data and Monuments... look at the first symbol for.. the one for Principal Point. It's the exact same symbol as on the Palin map. It's used by the US Geological Survey... They must want to kill all Democrats too...

What it boils down to is that there used to be a certain amount of civility in politics that doesn't exist anymore.

For example: In the early 1960's Kennedy got together with Senator Barry Goldwater (R, AZ) and they decided that if Kennedy was to face him in 64 they would take a charter plane to twenty different cities to debate. They would be going to these debates in the same airplane with each other. If something like that had happened today both politicians would be considered dead to their party.

What it boils down to is that there used to be a certain amount of civility in politics that doesn't exist anymore.

For example: In the early 1960's Kennedy got together with Senator Barry Goldwater (R, AZ) and they decided that if Kennedy was to face him in 64 they would take a charter plane to twenty different cities to debate. They would be going to these debates in the same airplane with each other. If something like that had happened today both politicians would be considered dead to their party.

Back then it worked, now if that were happen, I feel the polititians would be shunned by their parties due to the tin hat people (on both democratic AND republican side.. stupid isn't a political party, it's the american way of life after all)

would scream set up, scam, rigged, that they're actually working together instead of competing each other and it's one big stupid conspiracy like the one I heard that the catholic religion is a bunch of athiest pedophiles that invented the damn religion for the soul purpose of having sex with little boys.. and let me tell you, that was a fucking weird conspiracy theory.... and there was more to it.. trust me.. you don't want to know what these idiots said they make the bible out of!

What we are forgetting is this had nothing to do with politics. This kid was so messed up that he wasn't left or right..he was just messed up.

Exactly. I wish people would STFU about it being a political issue. It is not. This guy was fucked up in the head. It's obvious from what we've heard so far that this guy has had festering mental issues that were not addressed. The only people making it into a political issue is the damn media. This situation has NOTHING to do with politics.

Edited by KatRN05

I think what the victim of a shooting feels is more important than what others who deny the gun sight image are saying and the Congress woman herself said this...

Giffords herself had previously raised concerns about Palin's map: "The way that she has it depicted has the cross hairs of a gun sight over our district. When people do that, they have got to realize there are consequences to that action."

So I will ask some people here that are deflecting the image having anything to do with the shooting to visit her bedside and tell her how wrong her feelings are about it are and maybe that will make her recover faster.

I think people sometimes forget just how out of control the political arena can get at times.

Words and images can at times be just as harmful (just ask anyone that lived thru the Nazi's taking over Germany) and they can also provoke violence in heated times.

I think there are two extremes of ignorance that one can reach on this...

The first one is thinking that Palin, Tea Party People, The Right, etc.... are responsible for the tragedy.

The second is thinking that Palin, Tea Party People, The Right, etc.... had absolutely nothing to do with helping to create an environment that fosters this kind of thing.