looking for help in the music industry!

Torvez

Hello, I am in a band called Dread Unity Project. We are currently planning on recording an 8 song EP. We would like to press it on vinyl and include a voucher for a download of the album. But we are not quite sure how to go about doing this. Would we have to copyright our works first? For now we are focusing on recording the actual album. We have some "demos" on the internet if you want to check us out. Any help and feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

http://www.myspace.com/trevorgonyeascratchpad

http://www.myspace.com/dreadunityproject

Really? Vinyl?

I'm a huge vinyl fan and try to pick up as much as I can from bands that are still releasing on the seemingly outdated format, however have got to be be honest, for a young amateur (and amateur sounding) band these days to press on vinyl for a first release is pretty pointless and an even bigger waste of money.

I've looked into vinyl pressing when I was asked to do some vinyl artwork for a friends band...

To press just 100 pieces of vinyl on non 180 gram standard weight vinyl (you want to press on 180 gram or higher for best sound quality) and do it up professionally with plating, test pressing, labels, proper sleeves in 300 DPI CMYK artwork, having the record insterted by the company into the sleeves, digital downloads, download cards into the jackets, shrink wrapping the record and putting a download sticker on the vinyl and more including shipping those records to your doorstep via post- you're looking at a rough estimate of $2900.00 - $3500.00

You can get 1000 CDs pressed for a LOT less than that and make it a much better investment. Also keep in mind digital files are the primary means by which a huge segment of the population is exposed to new music. People are pretty reluctant to pick up vinyl unless it's a band they know.

Now then if your question was about copyrighting your music prior to release your best bet is to head over to the library or a bookstore and look in the music business section. There's a TON of books on every aspect of the crazy music business. Also be sure you fully understand what Creative Commons licenses are. So many bands are giving their music away digitally under that and it's not the same as copyright.

Hope this helps. You should do some of your own research. If music is your passion than you'll find out how to successfully get your music out there to people.

@DJ Saint Thanks. What I was unclear of was what exactly i'd have to copyright. We don't even have any actual songs finished yet. It will take some time before we're satisfied with them. Just trying to get a glimpse of what we are in for. We know somebody who works at Archer Record Pressing in Detroit. We're not trying to cut corners or anything by asking around, we're just trying to see how things work. As of now, whatever we have on the internet is incomplete. But a musicians profile without some kind of music just seems wrong. Thanks for your reply.

• 2 weeks later...