The Republicans took the house.

Bottom line, if politicians don't get over their bickering and just learn to work together we are all fucked (including them) so, what's it gonna be?

I think if our government doesn't get their shit together sometime in the near future and stop acting like five-year old kids fighting over a shovel in a sandbox, then we should just overthrow the government and start from scratch.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom line, if politicians don't get over their bickering and just learn to work together we are all fucked (including them) so, what's it gonna be?

Thank you!

I think you officially qualify as actually reading my first post instead of just attacking me for it and paying no attention to what I actually said *gives you a candy bar* LOL

There should be an amendment to the constitution that says members of the house, senate and congress lose benefits and salary (each side equally) every couple of weeks that they don't solve our nations problems. So even if one party wants to be assholes and not work with the other party they both lose money (seems money is the only thing they understand, well, getting it in their pockets anyway).

Maybe that would light a fire under their asses.

(In other words, I hope that the economic policies work well; without the necessity for bigotry and intolerance that the tea party and other extremists have shown.)

There are your words again. Re-read them.

Yep... those are my words... hoping the economic policies work well... and that the necessity for bigotry and intolerance don't take over and ruin the possibility of progress.... and yes I hope the extremists who show this (the tea party and those who made Che Guevara seem heroic) don't ruin it for the rest of the class... where exactly is the fault in wanting that?

I am trying really hard to understand exactly what the issue is... would you have preferred me to say something like "As we all know conservatives and republicans are all bigots and racists and it is impossible that they will add anything positive"? Because what I said was we can work together without the necessity for all that... I am not sure you you misread that.

There should be an amendment to the constitution that says members of the house, senate and congress lose benefits and salary (each side equally) every couple of weeks that they don't solve our nations problems. So even if one party wants to be assholes and not work with the other party they both lose money (seems money is the only thing they understand, well, getting it in their pockets anyway).

Maybe that would light a fire under their asses.

thats a pretty good idea. never going to happen, but a good idea none the less.

We shall see in the coming months what this election has wrought. (Did I spell that right?) Harry Reid didn't give me much hope for cooperation in his victory speech last night... He flat out said he was not going to work with the Republicans on any common ground. The President is sopposed to give a speech today at 1pm about the election results... lets see if he can do the right thing and reach across the aisle or if he sticks to his guns.

Yep... those are my words... hoping the economic policies work well... and that the necessity for bigotry and intolerance don't take over and ruin the possibility of progress.... and yes I hope the extremists who show this (the tea party and those who made Che Guevara seem heroic) don't ruin it for the rest of the class... where exactly is the fault in wanting that?

I am trying really hard to understand exactly what the issue is... would you have preferred me to say something like "As we all know conservatives and republicans are all bigots and racists and it is impossible that they will add anything positive"? Because what I said was we can work together without the necessity for all that... I am not sure you you misread that.

Phee... you called the Tea party extremists and accused them of bigotry. You said NOTHING of bigotry, intolerance or extremism on the left. You clearly aimed it all at the right. You used a really big brush. As usual. And as usuall you are now trying to re-word what you said and change the meaning of what you said so as not to have to take ownership of your own bigotry and intollerance.

Phee... you called the Tea party extremists and accused them of bigotry. You said NOTHING of bigotry, intolerance or extremism on the left. You clearly aimed it all at the right. You used a really big brush. As usual. And as usuall you are now trying to re-word what you said and change the meaning of what you said so as not to have to take ownership of your own bigotry and intollerance.

Yes... I do consider a lot of the tea party extremists, and my plea was to put that aside... and yes... I have seen a lot of bigotry. I did not mention the left because to my knowledge, they did not just gain a majority of the house... what I did mention to the left was to please try to get along with the right, does that make me a bigot?

It seems that by me not liking bigots, that makes me a bigot in your eyes, is this correct? If I recall I specifically was calling for people to NOT be bigots.

I take ownership of telling the left to try and get along with the right and to try to put the bullshit aside.

And in addition to the tea party, if it is a fringe within the tea party that seems to be getting so much attention I apologize... (and I am sorry Gaf if you have associated yourself with the bigots who are in your party... but I don't associate you with them.)

What I do find very ironic, is that in my call for tolerance from the left in regards to the right... I was accused of being a bigot by conservatives... does anyone else find this the least bit odd?

I very much hope that this is a positive change, and I very much hope that both sides are willing to work together for the best interests of the country.

How can you say such things and live with yourself is so beyond me.

*I hope the sarcasm in my remark is clear to the naked eye - I was making a smart ass joke. For anyone that may misread my comment.*

How can you say such things and live with yourself is so beyond me.

*I hope the sarcasm in my remark is clear to the naked eye - I was making a smart ass joke. For anyone that may misread my comment.*

I am such a jerk.

Yes... I do consider a lot of the tea party extremists, and my plea was to put that aside... and yes... I have seen a lot of bigotry. I did not mention the left because to my knowledge, they did not just gain a majority of the house... what I did mention to the left was to please try to get along with the right, does that make me a bigot?

It seems that by me not liking bigots, that makes me a bigot in your eyes, is this correct? If I recall I specifically was calling for people to NOT be bigots.

I take ownership of telling the left to try and get along with the right and to try to put the bullshit aside.

And in addition to the tea party, if it is a fringe within the tea party that seems to be getting so much attention I apologize... (and I am sorry Gaf if you have associated yourself with the bigots who are in your party... but I don't associate you with them.)

What I do find very ironic, is that in my call for tolerance from the left in regards to the right... I was accused of being a bigot by conservatives... does anyone else find this the least bit odd?

You made no distiction between the fringe and the main body of the Tea Party. You used a blanket statement.

I know you know how to craft a sentance. I also know you know exactly what I am finding offense with.

What I am seeing is you crafting a sentance that used blanket statements that insulted me and rather than apoligize for a porely crafted opening statement you are trying to pretend that you wrote a completly different sentance and I am the one being difficult.

and while you are painting the Tea Party as extremists... the general voting populace tends to disagree with you. Do you even know how many Tea Party canidates won yesterday?

You made no distiction between the fringe and the main body of the Tea Party. You used a blanket statement.

I know you know how to craft a sentance. I also know you know exactly what I am finding offense with.

What I am seeing is you crafting a sentance that used blanket statements that insulted me and rather than apoligize for a porely crafted opening statement you are trying to pretend that you wrote a completly different sentance and I am the one being difficult.

IMO it seems like it would have been a whole lot easier if you had just asked Phee if his remark was directed at you and then you could have stated that you are not any of those things and this whole disagreement would have been over with and you could have addressed Phee's after this was settled.

From my point of view you seem as though you are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill and refuse to discuss the true reason why this thread was posted.

Are you that offended that Phee may or may not have said something that you say you are not that could have or could not have been directed at a group of people?

Why not just ignore anything you found offensive and make a statement that could be relative to this thread instead of being angry about something (IMO) that seems to be found between the lines.

I have noticed that when someone avoids the real discussion and insists on derailing the conversation with a different point that they usually have no real valid counter point to someone's statement and are just trying to distract from the real issue.

But, that's just my opinion based on past experiences.

you know what gets me? if people really want change, they should stop voting for either democrats OR republicans. one or the other has been in power since the 35th congress in 1857.

vote third party or independent, but stop putting the same assholes back in power all the time! they'll never get along, they'll never agree on anything, so "fire" them all!

35th Congress (1857-1859)

Majority Party: Democrat (41 seats)

Minority Party: Republican (20 seats)

Other Parties: 5 American Party

Total Seats: 66

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

36th Congress (1859-1861)

Majority Party: Democrat (38 seats)

Minority Party: Republican (26 seats)

Other Parties: 2 American Party

Total Seats: 66

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

37th Congress (1861-1863)

Majority Party: Republican (31 seats)

Minority Party: Democrat (15 seats)

Other Parties: 3 Unionist

Vacant: 1 Total Seats: 50

Note: The decrease in total number of seats is due to secession of Confederate states. As members left the Senate to join the Confederacy, or were expelled for supporting the rebellion, seats were declared vacant. To establish a quorum with fewer members, a lower total seat number was taken into account.

38th Congress (1863-1865)

Majority Party: Republican (33 seats)

Minority Party: Democrat (10 seats)

Other Parties: 5 Unconditional Unionist; 4 Unionist

Total Seats: 52

Note: The decrease in total number of seats is due to secession of Confederate states. As members left the Senate to join the Confederacy, or were expelled for supporting the rebellion, seats were declared vacant. To establish a quorum with fewer members, a lower total seat number was taken into account.

39th Congress (1865-1867)

Majority Party: Republican (39 seats)

Minority Party: Democrat (11 seats)

Other Parties: 3 Unconditional Unionist; 1 Unionist

Total Seats: 54

40th Congress (1867-1869)

Majority Party: Republican (57 seats)

Minority Party: Democrat (9 seats)

Other Parties: 0

Vacant: 2 Total Seats: 68

41st Congress (1869-1871)

Majority Party: Republican (62 seats)

Minority Party: Democrat (12 seats)

Total Seats: 74

42nd Congress (1871-1873)

Majority Party: Republican (56 seats)

Minority Party: Democrat (17 seats)

Other Parties: 1 Liberal Republican

Total Seats: 74

43rd Congress (1873-1875)

Majority Party: Republican (47 seats)

Minority Party: Democrat (19 seats)

Other Parties: 7 Liberal Republican

Vacant: 1 Total Seats: 74

44th Congress (1875-1877)

Majority Party: Republican (46 seats)

Minority Party: Democrat (28 seats)

Other Parties: 1 Independent Republican

Vacant: 1 Total Seats: 76

45th Congress (1877-1879)

Majority Party: Republican (40 seats)

Minority Party: Democrat (35 seats)

Other Parties: 1 Independent

Total Seats: 76

46th Congress (1879-1881)

Majority Party: Democrat (42 seats)

Minority Party: Republican (33 seats)

47th Congress (1881-1883)

Majority Party: Republican (37 seats)

Minority Party: Democrat (37 seats)

Other Parties: 1 Independent; 1 Readjuster

48th Congress (1883-1885)

Majority Party: Republican (38 seats)

Minority Party: Democrat (36 seats)

Other Parties: 2 Readjuster

49th Congress (1885-1887)

Majority Party: Republican (42 seats)

Minority Party: Democrat (34 seats)

50th Congress (1887-1889)

Majority Party: Republican (39 seats)

51st Congress (1889-1891)

Majority Party: Republican (51 seats)

Total Seats: 88

52nd Congress (1891-1893)

Majority Party: Republican (47 seats)

Minority Party: Democrat (39 seats)

Other Parties: 2 Populist

53rd Congress (1893-1895)

Majority Party: Democrat (44 seats)

Minority Party: Republican (40 seats)

Other Parties: 3 Populist; 1 Silver

54th Congress (1895-1897)

Majority Party: Republican (44 seats)

Minority Party: Democrat (40 seats)

Other Parties: 4 Populist; 2 Silver

Total Seats: 90

55th Congress (1897-1899)

Majority Party: Republican (44 seats)

Minority Party: Democrat (34 seats)

Other Parties: 5 Populist; 5 Silver Republican; 2 Silver

56th Congress (1899-1901)

Majority Party: Republican (53 seats)

Minority Party: Democrat (26 seats)

Other Parties: 5 Populist; 3 Silver Republican; 2 Silver

Vacant: 1

57th Congress (1901-1903)

Minority Party: Democrat (32 seats)

Other Parties: 2 Populist

58th Congress (1903-1905)

Majority Party: Republican (57 seats)

Minority Party: Democrat (33 seats)

59th Congress (1905-1907)

Majority Party: Republican (58 seats)

60th Congress (1907-1909)

Majority Party: Republican (61 seats)

Minority Party: Democrat (31 seats)

Total Seats: 92

61st Congress (1909-1911)

Majority Party: Republican (60 seats)

Total Seats: 92

62nd Congress (1911-1913)

Majority Party: Republican (52 seats)

Minority Party: Democrat (44 seats)

Total Seats: 96

63rd Congress (1913-1915)

Majority Party: Democrat (51 seats)

Minority Party: Republican (44 seats)

Other Parties: 1 Progressive

64th Congress (1915-1917)

Majority Party: Democrat (56 seats)

Minority Party: Republican (40 seats)

65th Congress (1917-1919)

Majority Party: Democrat (54 seats)

Minority Party: Republican (42 seats)

66th Congress (1919-1921)

Majority Party: Republican (49 seats)

Minority Party: Democrat (47 seats)

67th Congress (1921-1923)

Majority Party: Republican (59 seats)

68th Congress (1923-1925)

Minority Party: Democrat (42 seats)

Other Parties: 1 Farmer-Labor

69th Congress (1925-1927)

Majority Party: Republican (54 seats)

Minority Party: Democrat (41 seats)

70th Congress (1927-1929)

Majority Party: Republican (48 seats)

Minority Party: Democrat (46 seats)

Vacant: 1

71st Congress (1929-1931)

Minority Party: Democrat (39 seats)

72nd Congress (1931-1933)

73rd Congress (1933-1935)

Majority Party: Democrat (59 seats)

Minority Party: Republican (36 seats)

74th Congress (1935-1937)

Majority Party: Democrat (69 seats)

Minority Party: Republican (25 seats)

Other Parties: 1 Farmer-Labor; 1 Progressive

75th Congress (1937-1939)

Majority Party: Democrat (76 seats)

Minority Party: Republican (16 seats)

Other Parties: 2 Farmer-Labor; 1 Progressive; 1 Independent

76th Congress (1939-1941)

Majority Party: Democrat (69 seats)

Minority Party: Republican (23 seats)

Other Parties: 2 Farmer-Labor; 1 Progressive; 1 Independent

77th Congress (1941-1943)

Majority Party: Democrat (66 seats)

Minority Party: Republican (28 seats)

Other Parties: 1 Independent; 1 Progressive

78th Congress (1943-1945)

Majority Party: Democrat (57 seats)

Minority Party: Republican (38 seats)

79th Congress (1945-1947)

80th Congress (1947-1949)

Minority Party: Democrat (45 seats)

81st Congress (1949-1951)

82nd Congress (1951-1953)

Majority Party: Democrat (49 seats)

Minority Party: Republican (47 seats)

83rd Congress (1953-1955)

Note: See Senate Membership Changes During the 83rd Congress

84th Congress (1955-1957)

Majority Party: Democrat (48 seats)

Note: Strom Thurmond (SC) was an Independent Democrat during this Congress until his resignation on April 4, 1956. In November of that year he was elected as a Democrat to fill the vacancy created by his resignation. The Independent member listed above was Wayne Morse (OR), who changed from an Independent to a Democrat on February 17, 1955.

85th Congress (1957-1959)

86th Congress (1959-1961)

Majority Party: Democrat (65 seats)

Minority Party: Republican (35 seats)

Total Seats: 100

87th Congress (1961-1963)

Majority Party: Democrat (64 seats)

88th Congress (1963-1965)

Majority Party: Democrat (66 seats)

Minority Party: Republican (34 seats)

89th Congress (1965-1967)

Majority Party: Democrat (68 seats)

Minority Party: Republican (32 seats)

90th Congress (1967-1969)

Majority Party: Democrat (64 seats)

91st Congress (1969-1971)

Minority Party: Republican (43 seats)

92nd Congress (1971-1973)

Other Parties: 1 Conservative; 1 Independent

93rd Congress (1973-1975)

94th Congress (1975-1977)

Majority Party: Democrat (60 seats)

95th Congress (1977-1979)

Majority Party: Democrat (61 seats)

96th Congress (1979-1981)

Majority Party: Democrat (58 seats)

Minority Party: Republican (41 seats)

97th Congress (1981-1983)

Minority Party: Democrat (46 seats)

98th Congress (1983-1985)

Majority Party: Republican (55 seats)

99th Congress (1985-1987)

100th Congress (1987-1989)

Majority Party: Democrat (55 seats)

Minority Party: Republican (45 seats)

101st Congress (1989-1991)

Majority Party: Democrat (55 seats)

Minority Party: Republican (45 seats)

102nd Congress (1991-1993)

103rd Congress (1993-1995)

Minority Party: Republican (43 seats)

Note: Party division changed to 56 Democrats and 44 Republicans after the June 5, 1993 election of Kay B. Hutchison (R-TX).

104th Congress (1995-1997)

Majority Party: Republican (52 seats)

Minority Party: Democrat (48 seats)

Note: Party ratio changed to 53 Republicans and 47 Democrats after Richard Shelby of Alabama switched from the Democratic to Republican party on November 9, 1994. It changed again, to 54 Republicans and 46 Democrats, when Ben Nighthorse Campbell of Colorado switched from the Democratic to Republican party on March 3, 1995. When Robert Packwood (R-OR) resigned on October 1, 1995, the Senate divided between 53 Republicans and 46 Democrats with one vacancy. Ron Wyden (D) returned the ratio to 53 Republicans and 47 Democrats when he was elected to fill the vacant Oregon seat.

105th Congress (1997-1999)

106th Congress (1999-2001)

Note: As the 106th Congress began, the division was 55 Republican seats and 45 Democratic seats, but this changed to 54-45 on July 13, 1999 when Senator Bob Smith of New Hampshire switched from the Republican party to Independent status. On November 1, 1999, Smith announced his return to the Republican party, making the division once more 55 Republicans and 45 Democrats. Following the death of Senator Paul Coverdell (R-GA) on July 18, 2000, the balance shifted again, to 54 Republicans and 46 Democrats, when the governor appointed Zell Miller, a Democrat, to fill the vacancy.

107th Congress (2001-2003)

Majority Party (Jan 3-20, 2001): Democrat (50 seats)

Minority Party: Republican (50 seats)

________

Majority Party (Jan 20-June 6, 2001): Republican (50 seats)

Minority Party: Democrat (50 seats)

______

Majority Party (June 6, 2001-November 12, 2002 --): Democrat (50 seats)

Minority Party: Republican (49 seats)

Other Parties: 1

_____

Majority Party (November 12, 2002 - January 3, 2003): Republican (50 seats)

Other Parties: 2

Note: From January 3 to January 20, 2001, with the Senate divided evenly between the two parties, the Democrats held the majority due to the deciding vote of outgoing Democratic Vice President Al Gore. Senator Thomas A. Daschle served as majority leader at that time. Beginning on January 20, 2001, Republican Vice President Richard Cheney held the deciding vote, giving the majority to the Republicans. Senator Trent Lott resumed his position as majority leader on that date. On May 24, 2001, Senator James Jeffords of Vermont announced his switch from Republican to Independent status, effective June 6, 2001. Jeffords announced that he would caucus with the Democrats, giving the Democrats a one-seat advantage, changing control of the Senate from the Republicans back to the Democrats. Senator Thomas A. Daschle again became majority leader on June 6, 2001. Senator Paul D. Wellstone (D-MN) died on October 25, 2002, and Independent Dean Barkley was appointed to fill the vacancy. The November 5, 2002 election brought to office elected Senator James Talent (R-MO), replacing appointed Senator Jean Carnahan (D-MO), shifting balance once again to the Republicans -- but no reorganization was completed at that time since the Senate was out of session.

108th Congress (2003-2005)

Other Parties: Independent (1 seat)

109th Congress (2005-2007)

Minority Party: Democrat (44 seats)

Other Parties: Independent (1 seat)

110th Congress (2007-2009)

Minority Party: Republican (49 seats)

Other Parties: 1Independent; 1 Independent Democrat

Note:Senator Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut was reelected in 2006 as an independent candidate, and became an Independent Democrat. Senator Bernard Sanders of Vermont was elected as an Independent.

111th Congress (2009-2011)

Minority Party: Republican (41 seats)

Other Parties: 1 Independent; 1 Independent Democrat

Note: Senator Arlen Specter was reelected in 2004 as a Republican, and became a Democrat on April 30, 2009. Senator Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut was reelected in 2006 as an independent candidate, and became an Independent Democrat. Senator Bernard Sanders of Vermont was elected in 2006 as an Independent.

13 in the National elections... they won on the state level too... still trying to find that number...

Phee... I'm sorry that you worded it so poorly...

Gaf... even when people are trying to get along with you, you feel persecuted. kiss.gif

Gaf... even when people are trying to get along with you, you feel persecuted. kiss.gif

I respond in kind...

you are sorry I was offended by what you said... I am sorry you worded it in a way that a member of the Tea Party would be offended by.

See? you took no responsibility for offending and I take none for being offended.

Let me put it in this way... I am sorry that what I said made you feel the way you felt... or I am sorry that the meaning of what I was saying was understood differently then the way I intended it..... does that help?

Let me put it in this way... I am sorry that what I said made you feel the way you felt... or I am sorry that the meaning of what I was saying was understood differently then the way I intended it..... does that help?

Sure. though I would have prefered "I'm sorry I worded it so poorly." or "I'm sorry I used a blanket statement."

so, let me rephrase....

I'm sorry I was offended by your blanket insult to all Tea party members when I should have been able to read your mind and know you meant only the fringe elements of the Tea party.