I agree with much of what Chernobyl is saying. People do not know what a true want and a true need is. I may want a new car but do I really need one when I have a car that runs perfectly fine and gets me from one place to another without stalling in the middle of I-75.

Yeah whatever happened to just getting praise and thanks for doing something good? Doesn't happen anymore. I don't know when it became acceptable to "reward" children with toys and food but really it has gotten out of hand. Kids are being more overweight/obese, developing diabetes, respiratory and heart issues and people wonder why? I'm sorry, I just find it disturbing that there are people who think its okay to reward kids with food. Secondly, kids nowadays are too fucking spoiled for their own good. They don't even have to ask for something anymore because their fucking parents are giving them whatever the fuck they want without having to earn it and without having any sort of consequences. Seriously, what kind of message are we sending to our kids?

So yes, I think the government should have a bit of control over how the money people receive through assistance is spent.

Its a reward so you saying we shouldn't reward our kids at all.... Its a simple cheap reward did NOT say he get this stuff everyday.. its a treat having a treat once in awhile does not give him diabetes... its also something cheap and easy to give him when there is nothing else I can afford.... people on here obviously haven't been shit dirt poor and what these little things can mean to a child or someone. If you want to talk about spoiled rotten kids whom get what ever they want talk to the parents with money... I'm not one of them. BTW I also use coupons and budget my spending. And on that note if your gonna ban pop might as well ban koolaid, and any kind of sweets period. cause if your someone like me I can make things similar to Reese peanut butter cups and mounds bars... how about home made cookies... better ban them chocolate chips I can buy ect....

!!!!!PROFILE JACKED BY LILLYLU!!!!!

Edited by Darkmatter

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a reward so you saying we shouldn't reward our kids at all.... Its a simple cheap reward did NOT say he get this stuff everyday.. its a treat having a treat once in awhile does not give him diabetes... its also something cheap and easy to give him when there is nothing else I can afford.... people on here obviously haven't been shit dirt poor and what these little things can mean to a child or someone. If you want to talk about spoiled rotten kids whom get what ever they want talk to the parents with money... I'm not one of them. BTW I also use coupons and budget my spending. And on that note if your gonna ban pop might as well ban koolaid, and any kind of sweets period. cause if your someone like me I can make things similar to Reese peanut butter cups and mounds bars... how about home made cookies... better ban them chocolate chips I can buy ect....

That really wasn't the point I was making but whatever, if that's how you feel that's how you feel.

My point was this:

The ultimate goal of rewarding children is to help them internalize positive

behaviors so that they will not need a reward. Rewarding children in the home

or in the classroom does not need to involve candy or food. Using candy or

food as a reward reaches beyond the short-term benefits of good behavior.

Rewarding children with candy or food:

• Encourages overeating of foods high in sugar and fat

• Teaches children to eat when they're not hungry (We have all done this. Some food item is within reach and even though you ate 30 minutes ago and the food looks/smells good, gotta have some even though not hungry)

• Teaches children to reward themselves with food ( I was "good" today so I will eat some candy)

• Teaches children to connect food to mood (I feel sad or happy so I will eat this candy etc)

• Contributes to poor health

• Undermines healthy habits

This is what I was getting at. Ya know I don't want to say that kids shouldn't be rewarded at all. A toy every now and then is fine but positive reinforcement and spending time with the child goes a long way. I'm just saying that people have gotten to the point that instead of positively reinforcing their kid, they are pretty much bribing them to be "good".

Edited by KatRN05

Yes because I have no idea what it's like to be poor growing up the child of a sailor. Seriously before you make assumptions, remember where everyone lives. I really don't think any of you would survive up where I live where you have yo drive 30 miles to get to the nearest grocery store, where you have to can your own food, and freeze your own meat to survive the winter. Believe me I know what it's like to be poor, I also know what it's like to go without "rewards" because we couldn't afford them.

Yes because I have no idea what it's like to be poor growing up the child of a sailor. Seriously before you make assumptions, remember where everyone lives. I really don't think any of you would survive up where I live where you have yo drive 30 miles to get to the nearest grocery store, where you have to can your own food, and freeze your own meat to survive the winter. Believe me I know what it's like to be poor, I also know what it's like to go without "rewards" because we couldn't afford them.

ohh dear there are no assumptions... I lived on a farm where i had to be on the school bus stop at 4:30 am to get to school at 7:30am. and when we lost that and had to once again leave everything behind it was back to the road we went growing up most of my life in a semi mack truck with my brother, mother, and father where my bed was the drivers seat sleeping with my feet out the window, the pass was my brothers, and my mom and dad slept in the back. We ate small cans of chicken noodle soup cold, and sandwiches, when i had to pee it was in a cut off milk jug cause there was no time to stop. there was no fast food for me and anything special, was very lucky if I got anything for my birthdays. Always wearing second hand clothing from the salvation army or what ever hand me downs my mother came across. trust me survive where you live piece of cake for me. at least you knew where your bed was, where your home was. SO yes when my kid deserves it and wants that simple candy bar of soda pop Im gonna damn well buy it for him. BECAUSE HE DESERVES IT, not because hes spoiled and wants it.

and I did not say I was the only one, but people should look at it from the other side. People have NO RIGHT telling me what I cant or can buy when the government is buying 700$ toilet seats and give themselves raises while we sit and argue about a damn soda pop.

I totally support the government not allowing you to buy stuff like pop, candy, potato ships, etc. with a bridge card. That's not what they're for. I agree with whoever said that it's the difference between a want and a need. You may want pop, but you don't need it, and taxpayers shouldn't have to buy it for you. If you want pop, candy, etc. you should have to reach into your own pocket and pay for it, like you would cigarettes or alcohol.

When I was a cashier, people would come in with a Bridge Card and buy nothing but pop, Gatorade, Kool-aid, huge bags of candy, and boxes of Little Debbies. That's it. No meat, no veggies, no dairy products, not even boxed dinners. I found that appalling.

I was referring to the physical body of the person who consumes it. If I cross the road I may get hit by a car, by a sober person, so with your logic roads are harmful.

Yes but the physical body of each consumer of alcohol is different based on body mass and also it includes time duration (amount of alcohol + amount of time during consumption) which determines the impairment or lack of impairment of each individual. The car or the road have nothing have no baring on it. It could be a small volvo or large SUV, both kill when operated by an impaired driver.

None the less, my point about the pop (soda) being the cause for people becoming obese thus being the reason the Mayor of NY wanting to ban bridge card users from making such purposes is really a red haring (IMO). Red meat could be labeled the culprit if you were to talk with vegans. What if the Mayor said, "people are getting fat from eating too much hamburger, I want to ban the use of a bridge card to purchase red meat"....would that be ok?

Bread is another known food that can make people gain weight....should that be on the list?

How about butter? And sweet cereal. And pop tarts. And the list can grow very large very fast.

Again I ask (and no one has an answer) WHERE DOES IT END?

Maybe the solution is to educate people about better eating habits. To make them smarter shoppers. More aware of alternatives. Not to create more laws.

This country doesn't need more laws. We have enough already.

And if people are abusing bridge cards, report them. Make the card capable of sending data of the user use so they can be monitored. Is that a good solution?

But I do not believe that more laws are the solution. There are drunk driving laws and yet people are still killed by drunk drivers.

Education I think is a better route, not making people criminals.

Yes but the physical body of each consumer of alcohol is different based on body mass and also it includes time duration (amount of alcohol + amount of time during consumption) which determines the impairment or lack of impairment of each individual. The car or the road have nothing have no baring on it. It could be a small volvo or large SUV, both kill when operated by an impaired driver.

None the less, my point about the pop (soda) being the cause for people becoming obese thus being the reason the Mayor of NY wanting to ban bridge card users from making such purposes is really a red haring (IMO). Red meat could be labeled the culprit if you were to talk with vegans. What if the Mayor said, "people are getting fat from eating too much hamburger, I want to ban the use of a bridge card to purchase red meat"....would that be ok?

Bread is another known food that can make people gain weight....should that be on the list?

How about butter? And sweet cereal. And pop tarts. And the list can grow very large very fast.

Again I ask (and no one has an answer) WHERE DOES IT END?

Maybe the solution is to educate people about better eating habits. To make them smarter shoppers. More aware of alternatives. Not to create more laws.

This country doesn't need more laws. We have enough already.

And if people are abusing bridge cards, report them. Make the card capable of sending data of the user use so they can be monitored. Is that a good solution?

But I do not believe that more laws are the solution. There are drunk driving laws and yet people are still killed by drunk drivers.

Education I think is a better route, not making people criminals.

VERY VERY Well said! +1000

Well, personally, when I am in a grocery store and I have 20 dollars to buy food for me and my daughter for the week, and I am in a near panic because 20 dollars for food is like nothing, not to mention that I worked my way through college to not have to struggle and raise my kids like I was raised, on Food Stamps, Focus Hope, and Faygo, yet the bitch in front of me has her hair and nails all done, dressed like she's going out, walking around with 6 kids by like 8 dudes, and lives on section 8, has got a shopping cart full of pop, ice cream, candy, etc... and than whips out a bridge card, makes me wanna smack a bitch. And, there is a big difference between people that work and get food stamps to help make ends meet versus a person who is using the system as a means to an end.

I guess, I am on the fence though, that's what debate class did too me, I can see from both perspectives here.

Edited by kat

Children should not be used in this argument. They have become a damn human shield for people to get their stupid bills to pass..."Oh but what about the children?"

WHO GIVES A SHIT!?!?! They are not the only people affected by this...adults drink soda too.

The issue is people that are poor buying things they don't need with money given to them by someone else. I love soda but damn if I had to choose what to buy because of a budget then I would not get it...especially if they money was given to me by someone else.

And damn right we can stereotype here. Someone mentioned us stereotyping all poor people as fat and lazy. Well, those are not my thoughts or words but if we put restrictions on the food stamps and cards that they use that still let them eat but only HEALTHY food then what is the harm? You fix the people that ARE fat and lazy and they people that were not will continue on their way no harm no foul.

I am not "against" poor people but damn...if restrictions on frivolous items or unnecessary food items is going to hurt the people that are abusing the system then what they hell is the harm? Seriously! HOW?

Children should not be used in this argument. They have become a damn human shield for people to get their stupid bills to pass..."Oh but what about the children?"

WHO GIVES A SHIT!?!?! They are not the only people affected by this...adults drink soda too.

The issue is people that are poor buying things they don't need with money given to them by someone else. I love soda but damn if I had to choose what to buy because of a budget then I would not get it...especially if they money was given to me by someone else.

And damn right we can stereotype here. Someone mentioned us stereotyping all poor people as fat and lazy. Well, those are not my thoughts or words but if we put restrictions on the food stamps and cards that they use that still let them eat but only HEALTHY food then what is the harm? You fix the people that ARE fat and lazy and they people that were not will continue on their way no harm no foul.

I am not "against" poor people but damn...if restrictions on frivolous items or unnecessary food items is going to hurt the people that are abusing the system then what they hell is the harm? Seriously! HOW?

Wow, so it's only the poor that need to learn how to eat healthy? What about the people who worked all day, are tired, don't want to come home from work and cook so they stop and grab their kids McDonald's? That's not an issue only people that get the food stamps, don't eat right, huh?

I mean, I agree that people should not use kids to get bills passed or anything for that matter, children are constantly being exploited, parent's are the one's that need to make the decision as to what they feed their kids, but really, this bill is not going to stop people from buying bad food with government assistance, they will just use the cash the government gives them to buy their shit now, and our tax dollars are still picking up the tab anyway. I mean, I am more concerned with a person going out and purchasing drugs with government money that our tax dollar's paid for than the food they are buying. It's like Chernobyl mentioned earlier, why are people not bitching about people on welfare buying cigarettes, or alcohol, or other things that they want but don't need?

All I am saying is, why is that not an issue for the government? What are they doing to try and fix that problem?

Edited by kat

1) i deleted two posts, due to a rules violation. (one post in violation, the other with quoted "evidence".) I'm sure the persons involved will realize it - please, everyone, be respectful of others while trying to make your point, ok?

2) re: bridge cards; simple fact of the matter is, you're getting money from someone else - *free* money. if you don't like the way they're trying to control how you spend it, *don't take it*! spend your own money, on what you want. nobody is saying that people can't buy candy/pop (at this point, anyway :rolleyes:). they're saying you shouldn't be able to use govt. assistance money to buy it. how the hell is that being too controlling? buy all the candy/pop you want! pick up cans on the side of the road, do odd jobs around the neighborhood, just use your *own damn money* for it.

that's my stand on it.

Edited by torn asunder

Thats ok Ill just go out and apply for cash assistance then by a pop that way. cause im sure thats how everyone else will do it... or this is just gonna have more people find way to cheat the system. And when the govenment starts to ban things you can buy weather or not your on assistance im just gonna sit back and laugh becuse this is where it all starts.... and while they are blinding you all with this stupid simple stuff, while they keep passing there trillion dollar tax paying ideas on there useless things like building that next statue or naming a building.... o'well right cause that stuff is just so unimportant..... whats important is if I spend a dollar of foodstamps on a pop or not....

:thumbup:

Well, personally, when I am in a grocery store and I have 20 dollars to buy food for me and my daughter for the week, and I am in a near panic because 20 dollars for food is like nothing

and girl the next time this ever happends (and I do know pride gets in the way) but you better call me.... I am not opposed to share whats in my cabnets when I have extra... I love coupons so much that sometimes im way over stocked on things cause I can buy 10 boxes of cereal for 1.50 each and stuff like that.... I can not stress enough if someone takes the time to use coupons you can save sooooo much.... my highest savings so far bill was like 200$ after coupons 125$ :thumbup:

Well, personally, when I am in a grocery store and I have 20 dollars to buy food for me and my daughter for the week, and I am in a near panic because 20 dollars for food is like nothing

Make chili. Kroger's has packaged meat that isn't really expensive. Their canned goods (store brand) are always on sale. I make chili all the time, will last you the whole week.

Make chili. Kroger's has packaged meat that isn't really expensive. Their canned goods (store brand) are always on sale. I make chili all the time, will last you the whole week.

on that note aldis and sav-a-lots are cheaper.. where as krogers thoe I do shop there cause of coupons(which when used can make things about the same in price or cheaper) but without or buying things like meats sav-a-lots had 70/30 hamburger on sale for 1.49lb to krogers 2.69lb and there can goods are always 2/1.00. Also they sell bags of 10lb chicken for 4.90/.49 lb leg/thigh which is good for about 4 meals for us.

Also if anyone wants to learn how to cook some simple streatch it out meals please feel free to ask. Im not the best cook but I can cook some tasty stuff up for cheap :) I dont mind helping. I just made a tasty pot of chicken lemon rice soup :)

Also if anyone wants to learn how to cook some simple streatch it out meals please feel free to ask. Im not the best cook but I can cook some tasty stuff up for cheap :) I dont mind helping. I just made a tasty pot of chicken lemon rice soup :)

omg chicken lemon rice soup sounds soooo good. Please do post your recipe!

Good to know about Aldi's. I keep meaning to get over there. (side note: perhaps we should make a new thread about money saving ideas? That way this thread can stay on topic?)

I love that idea-- yes!

I too have discovered some interesting recepies while on food stamps. One BIG perk is you can buy spices.. For ramen noodles beef, take a carat, dice it up, a small onion, dice it up, celary, dice it up and dice up a potatoe and boil that for 10 mins, then throw in the diced items and boil for another 10 mins. Then take the pan off the burner, add in the noodles. Once soft, strain most of the water out (you want just a little bit left for the powder flavor to mix. Add in the flavoring, a little bit of garlic powder, and if you're feeling reeaaaaly brave, spice it up a bit with some cyan pepper spice.

Pulled from my comment about this I already posted on FB:

I think that is a great idea... I don't want to pay for people's caffeine addictions, and yeah... Ban getting "junk food" too..... I don't want to pay for people to buy f'ing Twinkies either.

Get fat on your own dime.. Not mine!

machine.. troll fail.

maybe at one point they could afford a computer, and bought one, then due to lay offs, they need help, but still have their computer... just because they post doesn't indicate anything about their financhial stability.

When I was on food stamps I was still using my busted ass laptop from when I was in the service, piggybacking off someone elses' signal.

Quit trying to troll.

Here's another recepie. Make some grilled cheese.. but put in a small bit of garlic powder in with the butter in the frying pan. Also, make some tomato soup, throw in oregano and celery flakes, or actual diced celery preferably. (you can add canned mushrooms to this btw, it's optional) and now you got a dipping soup for the grill cheese. And if you still got soup left, well the mushrooms and celery add in a bit of something else besides just bland ol tomato juice as soup.

Once again people, just becuase you are on foodstamps it dont mean you are fat, getting fat, or are going to get fat.... Its as simple as just turning in the abusers!

Chicken lemon rice recipie

I tweeked this a bit by making my own chicken broth out of boiling the chicken the night before (add a couple bay leaves, salt and pepper), let broth cool over night in fridge skim off fat. also because this isnt one of the creamy kinds of CLR soup I like I added 2 cans of cream of chicken soup in the end to thicken it up a bit (I also pretty much doubled the recipie) Its not the most awesome soup Iv made but its pretty good :)