REAL Corsets

I want a gorgeous, real corset to go with my kick-ass black tulle miniskirt. Nienna, you said that you buy from someone on Ebay. I'd love to know who! I'd like everyone's input, if possible. Also, with a decent corset, how do you choose size? I know that I should know this stuff, but I've never actually bought a true corset.

I want a gorgeous, real corset to go with my kick-ass black tulle miniskirt. Nienna, you said that you buy from someone on Ebay. I'd love to know who! I'd like everyone's input, if possible. Also, with a decent corset, how do you choose size? I know that I should know this stuff, but I've never actually bought a true corset.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The seller is alteregoerotics. They carry from a XXS to a 8X so they have to have something for you. Last I looked they rocked about 30 different styles all steel boned and all leather. These are great quality and only about $150-$200 each. (And they WORK)

To size them you go by your waist measurement. I usually buy them 4-6" smaller than my normal waist, but have been corseting for a long time. I know most women can comfortably start out at 3-4" reduction no problem. I would get one alittle smaller myself because you'll be able to get it down smaller after it (and your body) breaks in. You'll just have a larger gap in back to start is all. That said I highly reccomend starting with something with a slide busk in front instead of a solid or laced front. It makes it ALOT easier to get in and out of them.

I know several sellers of custom wonderful pieces through the SCA but you pay for it. Let me know if you want links and I'll try to get them to you.

Ohh are you involved in SCA? I have thought about joining but wasn't sure if there was a chapter close to me up here. I wanted to find out more about it from actual members.

*on topic* -yes I would go with 4" less also, I used to make corsets for my catalog, I also recomend spiral boning if you can find it, it's much more comfortable, unless you think you will need more strength(32"+) then go with straight steel. Make sure it's interlined and has a waist tape if it's a Victorian style... this will help it keep it's shape much longer since all the pull is on the waist.

nvayne

I know several sellers of custom wonderful pieces through the SCA but you pay for it. Let me know if you want links and I'll try to get them to you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just thought I'd throw in a link to my leather workers eBay store. He makes custom sized corsets out of hardened 8-9 gauge leather for around 150 dollars. He has a few pictures up now and he can modify the design to your specifications for a minimal amount more. I'll vouch for his work as in every piece I have gotten from him has exceeded my expectations.

http://stores.ebay.com/Designs-By-Blackdra...displayZ2QQtZkm

Good luck with the search

Nienna are you still a practicing SCA member? I have been out of the kingdom now for a few years and am looking to find another group soon. I need to brush up on my combat and beer brewing skills!

~TLS

I have avoided corsets due to the fact that I'm plus-sized and they just didn't appear comfortable to me.

But I'm reconsidering.

One problem I've got that I'm not sure I can overcome to wear one, however, is my disproportionate belly. Basically, I look like I'm carrying twins. To give you an example of what I THINK a corset will do to me, I've tried one of those tube-shaped midsection/waist shapers before. What ends up happening is I get a little control in the middle, still rounded but smooth in the immediate waist area, but then I end up bulging over the top and out the bottom.

I just don't know if a corset is feasible for me. I'm not looking to look like an hourglass, just a little control and to help with certain other "looks". For instance, the red blouse I'm wearing in my avatar pic? I won't wear it anymore because once I had it on, I didn't look like I THOUGHT I would. I bit the bullet and wore it out anyway, but only once. Basically, it's a fitted, knit blouse that, despite a waist-shaper, hugs every bulge & just, to me, looks unsightly. I thought perhaps a corset OVER the blouse might make wearing it feasible, especially with a full skirt to hide the bulge coming out the bottom of the corset. If the corset comes up to my armpits, the bulge over the top probably wouldn't happen, particularly if it's a bit looser up there than in the waist area, giving the "bulges" more room.

I just don't know. I'd hate to spend a lot of money on something that, once I get it on, will just make me want to cry 'cause it just won't work on my disproportionate figure.

SCA- Yes.. I'm a VERY active member and I know alot of people and several different cantons. If you guys need connections, ez box me! Winter Revel is coming up and is always a great event....

Critter- I know what you mean. The lower bulge is easily hidden under full skirts or tutus. The upper is more of an issue.. You need to try them on really. I used to ba alot heavier and had this problem alot. I did find several that worked for me dispite it though. The key is to find a high back.

What are the characteristics of "real" corset vs. a "fake" one ?

Is this: 

a "fake" corset ? (yes drunk off my ass pic)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, that is a "fake" corset. Not that those types of corsets aren't ok.. they are MUCH more comfortable to wear, and if you're thin and don't need or want the shaping, they work just fine. I have a few "falsies" myself.

By "real" corset, I think it was meant one that actually noticably reduces the waist and shapes. It would have steel or simulated whalebone boning opposed to plastic, and a busk or laced entrance opposed to hooks and eyes...

I guess the idea being, that a "real" corset is , painful. Fake ones just "look like they might be painful" haha.

Having set foot in hot topic a grand total of , count em... ONE time, myself all i remember thinking is "hrmm kinda neat store". But that was my only time there.

While a joke compared to say, the old Cats Meow in A2 or Showtime in Detroit, seemed decent enough to me. Is the anti-hot topic stuff i see basicly based on the same sort of anti-Kmart "im too cool for that store" thing?

If Kmart has what i want, and its close to me , i couldnt care less if i get it from Kmart or Sax Fifth Avenue.

Way off topic....perhaps a new thread?

Is the anti-hot topic stuff i see basicly based on the same sort of anti-Kmart "im too cool for that store" thing?

If Kmart has what i want, and its close to me , i couldnt care less if i get it from Kmart or  Sax Fifth Avenue.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the anti-kmart sentiment is more economical snobbery in nature and the Anti-Hot Topic is more political in nature. From my observations thus far, most complaints about HT seem to be the commercialization of what some prefer to remain as an underground style.

From my observations thus far, most complaints about HT seem to be the commercialization of what some prefer to remain as an underground style.

I used to manage a HT store. It's really not all it's cracked up to be. They (sadly) have commercialized the goth style, but failed to commercialize it to a hardcore level. They sell more stupid shit (like Care Bears and bedlinens) than goth gear on any given day. Also, the items are made so cheaply and so overpriced, it's sad. When they have clearance sales, like "take an extra 50% off", you then realize just HOW cheap their shit is. I have a corset from them, but it's not the real deal. Besides, they don't have a good selection.

The stuff Brenda said is what bizzes (my 5 years olds way of saying pisses!) me off! That and there stuff is sooooo small!!!

But, now that I have a teenaged daughter, I like the store for her. I bought her a cute little black shirt dress with suspenders for $11 on clearence.

HT was great when it first opened.....now it's crap. Except around Halloween when the cools tuff comes out!

we have no HT round here.

for that sort of stuff my ex just used to have to brave going into sex shops to find decent clubwear.

hell, i have to at times to hind a pair of trousers which wont tear on slightest tug during a pit or fight for the exits (and sometime a fighting retreat out of the club, fucking pill-heads)

i'd be greatfull to have a hot-topic like chain round here. makes a change from endless monotomy of kids in hoodies and girls who dress like the men.

on another disclaimer note

you can wear what you want, and i consider myself treating women and men equally, but its nice to see a pretty girl dress femminine for a change instead of baggies and hoodie, gone are the days i could find myself a plything wearing a corset and suspenders, and nothing much else. jeez, gues even i can be sexist at times

and another:

Troy, share some of the purties about will you :p

undefined Except around Halloween when the cools tuff comes out!

That's just it! The only time you see anything remotely goth is Halloween. When I'm dressed for a club, I'm not taken very seriously, as people think that we're weird for dressing like it's Halloween year round. It really cracks me up.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I have not been to this board in a while. seems things have changed. Had to register all over again

Well I just stumbled across this topic. Just thought I would let you know about my Valentines sale. 20% off all custom corsets ordered by Monday February 14th.

I also have some plus size corset auctions running as well. By plus size I mean waist size over 38". Any size under 38" can be ordered off my site for the regular price.

http://www.gothauctions.com/auction/XcAPVi...NS&OwnerID=8411

All my corsets are boned using a combination of spring steel and spiral stays. I usually design them with a 4"-8" waist reduction depending on your corset wearing experience, body type etc.

I also perform muslin fittings through the mail. A boned mock up based on your measurements is crafted and sent through the mail to try on, mark and return back to me. I also provide diagrams and fitting sheets to assist.

I was actually just n the Michigan area in late November to vend my corsets at a corsetry workshop.

Anyone interested can visit my site http://www.houseofworship.ca

Please feel free to email if you have any questions!

• 1 month later...

Archived