A Note On My Door

So I come home from a visit with family to find a note attached to my front door. The note read in short: Notice Of Pending Action Service Of Process. Then my name but only my first name hand written is very poor handwriting. Then it says that "we" are attempting to service of legal documents upon you. Pleas call(phone number turns out to be a cell phone number) with in 24hrs and ask for J.D. ( no name just J.D) it then goes on to say that no info will be given over the phone what this is about but that I am to set up an apportionment with this J.D guy. Now I have no ideal who J.D is nor do I own anyone named J. D any money. I am not overly worried about this but I am pissed that someone came to my house and taped a note to my door. It has been a few days and I have not heard any more from this J.D person and I have not been able to find out who they are or what company it is from. The number was nothing but a voice mail message. Have any of you heard about anything like this? Far as I know J.D could be some psycho killer trying to get to me.

I had that happen before, PMing you now.

Wow! Could you please keep the rest of us updated on what this is? I'd like to know in case we get any creepy "J.D" letters, too.

I got a creepy letter before placed on my car at my old apartment complex from someone telling me I was pretty, and to call them. I didn't turn it into the police because the Warren Police Dept. didn't exactly have my faith that they would do anything about it, and I actually didn't want to make things worse. I kept it in a plastic bag in a secret place, and told my now husband about it just in case anything happened to me. Thank goodness nothing happened, and I got the hell out of there!

Wow! Could you please keep the rest of us updated on what this is? I'd like to know in case we get any creepy "J.D" letters, too.

I got a creepy letter before placed on my car at my old apartment complex from someone telling me I was pretty, and to call them. I didn't turn it into the police because the Warren Police Dept. didn't exactly have my faith that they would do anything about it, and I actually didn't want to make things worse. I kept it in a plastic bag in a secret place, and told my now husband about it just in case anything happened to me. Thank goodness nothing happened, and I got the hell out of there!

Yes Kat, please fill the rest of us in.

You won't get any finger prints off that letter, cause I wore gloves.. I mean.. d'OH! hehe jk

That's kinda flattering to a very creepy point. I'm glad you don't live there anymore. :)

Yes, please let us all know.

Edited by hunhee

If this is legit, it means you're being served with some sort of civil lawsuit. Whoever filed the lawsuit can send whoever to "serve" you. When you get served with it, you have a set amount of time to "answer" it. If you don't answer in that period of time, the person who filed whatever against you will automatically win whatever they are seeking.

I would still be careful though. It could be some kind of scam. Obviously, don't give out any of your information.

So I come home from a visit with family to find a note attached to my front door. The note read in short: Notice Of Pending Action Service Of Process. Then my name but only my first name hand written is very poor handwriting. Then it says that "we" are attempting to service of legal documents upon you. Pleas call(phone number turns out to be a cell phone number) with in 24hrs and ask for J.D. ( no name just J.D) it then goes on to say that no info will be given over the phone what this is about but that I am to set up an apportionment with this J.D guy. Now I have no ideal who J.D is nor do I own anyone named J. D any money. I am not overly worried about this but I am pissed that someone came to my house and taped a note to my door. It has been a few days and I have not heard any more from this J.D person and I have not been able to find out who they are or what company it is from. The number was nothing but a voice mail message. Have any of you heard about anything like this? Far as I know J.D could be some psycho killer trying to get to me.

post number on 4chan. He'll stop scamming people after that. :thumbsup:

If this is legit, it means you're being served with some sort of civil lawsuit. Whoever filed the lawsuit can send whoever to "serve" you. When you get served with it, you have a set amount of time to "answer" it. If you don't answer in that period of time, the person who filed whatever against you will automatically win whatever they are seeking.

I would still be careful though. It could be some kind of scam. Obviously, don't give out any of your information.

Yes, but they have to actually "SERVE" her, physically. What kind of process server leaves a note on your door? Every one I've known (working for the courts) camps out at your house and waits for you to come home, or they go to your place of employment, just like the repo-men, they find you.

I would definitely report this to the Better Business Bureau and the police department for whatever city you live in. Sounds like a huge scam to me.

I would definitely report this to the Better Business Bureau and the police department for whatever city you live in. Sounds like a huge scam to me.

Yes, but they have to actually "SERVE" her, physically. What kind of process server leaves a note on your door? Every one I've known (working for the courts) camps out at your house and waits for you to come home, or they go to your place of employment, just like the repo-men, they find you.

To the best of my knowledge, this is accurate. Even if, let's say they didn't have to do it physically (which I believe they do, so this is a moot point), it would be an official-type document with more than just some cell phone number with the name "J.D." on it. It would have the judge you were being served under, the district, the person taking action against you, a number for the actual courthouse, a number to call if you need someone to represent you, etc.

This, however, seems like a total scam.

To the best of my knowledge, this is accurate. Even if, let's say they didn't have to do it physically (which I believe they do, so this is a moot point), it would be an official-type document with more than just some cell phone number with the name "J.D." on it. It would have the judge you were being served under, the district, the person taking action against you, a number for the actual courthouse, a number to call if you need someone to represent you, etc.

This, however, seems like a total scam.

Yes I am aware of such things since I have been served in the pass in person over a matter. This was nothing like that. No court name not even a date on the note. Not even my last name or the name of the company. Nothing but my first name hand written and that I am to call and ask for J.D and set up an appointment. This is not a paper from the court. I know what they look like. A court paper would have the court house name and the name and address of the person trying to sue you. If anything my guess is that it is from a sleazy collector trying to trick me into something. Or a nut out to get me.

I would actually turn the information over to the FBI. If the note poster IS someone you owe money, maybe they'll get shit for not going through proper channels (but feigning that they did). If not, maybe the FBI can do something if it fits with an open case or cases. In any case, if the owner of the phone gets a call from an agent, he will probably leave you alone after that.

I would not contact this person. Take that to the cops. I seriously think this is someone that is scamming you. I don't think it's a bill collector, usually they call, I've never heard of them just showing up at one's home.

Edited by KatRN05

Yes I am aware of such things since I have been served in the pass in person over a matter. This was nothing like that. No court name not even a date on the note. Not even my last name or the name of the company. Nothing but my first name hand written and that I am to call and ask for J.D and set up an appointment. This is not a paper from the court. I know what they look like. A court paper would have the court house name and the name and address of the person trying to sue you. If anything my guess is that it is from a sleazy collector trying to trick me into something. Or a nut out to get me.

If you were served in the "pass" maybe it was JD that passed you by. :sorcerer:

I think bean made a good point if it was the real deal. Since it appears not be the case, then I would take KatRNs advice and file a police report.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Evading being served is against the law ...

That's what this sounds like. I would call them back on a blocked number (*67 your number, or someone else's) and agree to meet person in public with family or friends present.

I would also ask the person why USPS service is not an option ... (usually it is, unless for some reason this case is requiring an in person service).

It is odd they haven't been back. All they need to do is knock, ask you if you are, so and so ... give you it and leave. And they have processing deadlines.