Absolutely, thanks Raev, you are certainly correct. I have grown up in similar conditions and believe that having a proper respect for firearms and making sure to be educated correctly and educate those in the home is of great importance. A gun is only an inanimate object though, and it doesnt have the power to make someone into a violent person. Violent nature is influenced by an individuals upbringing, their personality, and beliefs... the individual who interacts with the firearm is the key part in making it more or less dangerous, an ignorant person will no doubt be more likely to be dangerous.

... i'm also an assault rifle owner and they are something that not anyone can just go and pick up with ease. The laws are strict, and i actually have mine stored in southern ohio as i did not want to move it over state lines when i came to michigan some years ago.

Yes, it's people who are looking for a cop-out or scapegoat, an excuse to be lazy and not "be able" (:rolleyes:) to control themselves, that seem to love blaming inanimate objects, substances, other people, etc.

Guns don't make people violent, being stupid does.

Yes, it's people who are looking for a cop-out or scapegoat, an excuse to be lazy and not "be able" (:rolleyes:) to control themselves, that seem to love blaming inanimate objects, substances, other people, etc.

Guns don't make people violent, being stupid does.

Edited by Chernobyl

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a good thing... besides, disarming the nations citizens will only open up all new problems later on down the line. If they want it, they can pry my gun from my cold dead hand.

Amen, amen and AMEN.

I'm a proud owner of many firearms and am very responsible with them, and they will most def have to be pried from my dead cold hands before the government will be able to take them away from me.

Excuse me? I'm pretty sure you are dead wrong about automatic weapons. As far as I know, it takes a Class 3 collectors lic. to own an automatic weapon and that my friend, is not something just anyone can get.

It is easy to own an automatic weapon in Michigan. First you need a curio and relics license from the BATF, it is 30 bucks and takes a few month's to get(of course there is an extensive background check). Once you have that you can buy anything on the BATF list of relic firearms, it is anything that is 50 years old and original production. But here is the kicker, these firearms are very expensive from 10,000 dollars to a million dollars.

So (and just seriously asking here) when we talk about gun "control" we are actually talking about banning firearms? Is this where I am getting confused?

I think of gun control as in... controlling guns and distribution... I mean I control what I eat, which does not mean I don't eat, it just means that I have some control over what is being put in my body; I control the car when I drive, but that does not mean I don't drive, but that I try to control the vehicle and keep it safe.....

I am FOR GUN CONTROL in the literal sense... I think the government should have CONTROL over what kind of guns and what kind of people get guns... I don't think a convicted murderer should be allowed to have a working M-60, I think that is what GUN CONTROL is when I hear the term.

I am NOT for BANNING FIREARMS.... That to me is not CONTROL, that is banning...

So (and just seriously asking here) when we talk about gun "control" we are actually talking about banning firearms? Is this where I am getting confused?

I think of gun control as in... controlling guns and distribution... I mean I control what I eat, which does not mean I don't eat, it just means that I have some control over what is being put in my body; I control the car when I drive, but that does not mean I don't drive, but that I try to control the vehicle and keep it safe.....

I am FOR GUN CONTROL in the literal sense... I think the government should have CONTROL over what kind of guns and what kind of people get guns... I don't think a convicted murderer should be allowed to have a working M-60, I think that is what GUN CONTROL is when I hear the term.

Very good point Phee! :D

There's a big difference between regulation and prohibition. After all i'm sure there are some people out there who none of us would want to have owning a firearm... like the clearly mentally handicapped and/or drunk guy i saw laying in the yard outside a public library peeing into his hat, screaming and spitting at automobiles, drinking wine out of a paper sack, and making loud racially charged rants to strangers who walked past him... yeah, i could deal with that guy not having a thompson sub-machine gun, maybe.

But regulation can be a slipery slope also, control in the wrong hands can become strict enough to the level of absurdity making it nearly an outright prohibition. Its up to citizens to be vigilant, keep an eye on what government does with the laws and make sure that our rights are kept intact. Surely what goes on in congress is much more important than what happens on americas next top model, isn't it?

Thats all fine and good phee. The disconnect in this conversation is we are not talking about you. There are a great many people that think that gun control and banning ownership of guns are the same thing. Hence the gun bans in D.C., Chicago, Seattle, California and other places.

Thats all fine and good phee. The disconnect in this conversation is we are not talking about you. There are a great many people that think that gun control and banning ownership of guns are the same thing. Hence the gun bans in D.C., Chicago, Seattle, California and other places.

Gotcha.... okay.

that's very true - also, phee, we already have gun control like you describe... for example, convicted felons are not allowed to have guns, legally. has that stopped them? not in the least... i like the idea of a well-armed, *trained* populous. gun safety classes should be mandatory (if they're not already - i don't know) i haven't researched at all, but i'm willing to bet the crime rates are lower in areas where they have open-carry permits, for the simple fact that seeing a gun puts second thoughts into a criminal's mind. criminals want an easy mark, not a gunfight...

Edited by torn asunder

Guns shouldn't be banned. If you take them...the only people getting rich off of them are the black market weapons dealers. Now there is one more instance where this is still used. Can anyone guess what it is?

hmmmm... that reminds me, there's something else that the government made illegal and i can still go buy it anytime, anywhere in any american town no matter how big of a city it is or how small the village might be... actually i can think of several things. Look how badly prohibition of alcohol worked out in the 20's. America's a big place with a booming black market, i don't even live inside Detroit, i bet theres a lively black market industry there. Where theres a will, theres a way... especially in the usa, law or no law. of course the laws make it a lot easier to prosecute, but most criminals-for-life don't give two sh!ts about what the law says.

i'll be alright as long as i'm able to keep my... uh, gun.

Lol I like the scope.. I never liked the 5.56 though.. I traded my M4 for a 240b just so I had 7.62.. Carried way more weight but fuck it I'm a big guy, so they issued me one upon asking.

I never liked the 5.56 though.. I traded my M4 for a 240b just so I had 7.62.. Carried way more weight but fuck it I'm a big guy, so they issued me one upon asking.

When the military is buying your rounds, then 7.62 is the only option (if you can handle the weight). But if you're buying your own rounds, then 5.56 is very attractive. I still want to get the Springfield Socom II (M1 platform) though. It's 7.62/.308. :D

When the military is buying your rounds, then 7.62 is the only option (if you can handle the weight). But if you're buying your own rounds, then 5.56 is very attractive. I still want to get the Springfield Socom II (M1 platform) though. It's 7.62/.308. :D

Yeah, that's true. What is it for 1k rounds of 7.62 these days anyway? I wouldn't know, haven't bought any in years. Haven't the need with 5k stockpiled up already.

Yeah, that's true. What is it for 1k rounds of 7.62 these days anyway? I wouldn't know, haven't bought any in years. Haven't the need with 5k stockpiled up already.

No clue. I don't own a rifle ... yet. I inherited an over/under double barrel 12ga shotgun from my grandfather, and I have a .45 semi-auto (Springfield XD Compact) and a .357/.38 snubbie (S&W 340PD). For my first rifle I'll probably just get a Kalishnikov platform for something cheap and reliable until I can afford the M1.

Cheap and reliable. Does it have to be semi-auto or would a bolt action carbine suffice? If so, I highly recommend the Mosin Nagant. 7.62 rimmed cartridge. Just google mosin nagant surplus rifle retailer and I'm sure you'll find one for under 100 dollars. They are very, very nice. I picked up mine for 89 dollars shipped from an internet retailer. You can also get a modified bolt handle to allow use of a scope, otherwise the stock handle/operation does not work with a scope. These are the rifles the Russians used in WWII. Very accurate high powered rifle. Great for medium or long range. Featured in the movie "Enemy At the Gates" as it was a movie based upon the Red Army in WWII, based on the true story of Vassili Zaitsev, the "Hero of the Soviet Union".

Anyway, great rifle to own, especially if you're just starting out in collecting.

Edit- PS- that's 7.62x54mmR cartridge as opposed to the 7.62x39mm as seen in an AK47. = Much more punch.

Edited by Soulrev

...and stockpiling IS the way to go, especially since i don't have the money to buy nice things anymore. But we have stockpiled boxes and boxes of 30 and 50 round clips for that thing, tons of ammo (even tracer rounds and teflon tipped shells), and other extra bits and such. Even a decent nightvision scope in addition to the one shown in the picture and some others... haven't had to buy anything new in many many years. It may not be the best on the market but i sure as hell love my rifle, and its alot more firepower than the typical kind of douchebag who tries to break into a house would have... This is my boomstick!