Collective presents Resist at Club New Way in Ferndale

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the atmospheric mix was perfect. The bar layout is perfect imo. People could hang out around the front without necessarily being in anyone's way. Pestilence and I found a quaint little table and we parked ourselves at for the first part of the night just to take in the environment. There was a little window next to the table that I swear was strategically placed so that the dance floor could be properly spied on. I also got to watch the band through the same portal, it was like being front row and center at a concert. May I also add that the sound system is about seven City Club sound systems in one but with good bass quality? IMPRESSED! I haven't "felt" music that hard since Skinny Puppy last year at Royal Oak music theater (both the band AND the venue are guaranteed to leave your ears ringing, in combination you will be deaf for a week).

The band? ALSO IMPRESSED! I was impressed with myself that I was impressed, how extreme, right? Honestly I was shocked because I'm an elitist asshole when it comes to music (not to be confused with people such as Phee who are simply elitist minus the assholishness), erm well most music, all rivetheads have SOME skeletons :whistle:. They were a tantalizing blend of New Wavish EBM with industrial and trance elements. I know...everyone is thinking "But Cherny, can't you find this at CC?" Of course, but most is so bland in the modern day form, very few bands in the present seem to give more than 45 seconds worth of thought into their sound. The music itself was pretty well orchestrated yet very simplistic in it's approach. The lyrics accompanied this style, meaningful yet very downplayed, playful, and a bit minimalistic in their execution. Particularly dug "My Plight", especially the lyrics for that one, thought provoking yet cheeky and not overbearing. Doing what I DON'T normally do, I walked past the merchandise they had for sale and mentally jotted down the band name. Are these guys local? Either way they've got my support. I even liked the feel of them on stage; no over-the-top 90 gallons of blood, running around on stilts, waving decapitated heads around like one would expect out of so many dark ebm/industrialish bands (even if it is still cool sometimes :whistle:), but enough energy and phat moves from the band kept the audience moving and into it. Wasn't overtly fancy, but for the venue and the environment it was a refreshing mojito of noise, robots, and robot noises.

PEOPLE! I saw sooo many of them! I was floored by the turnout! I was a little nervous because I thought that maybe there would be only a couple people there I knew but that was not the case. I think every damn DJ I've ever met in my life attended, even if I didn't say hi I still saw all of you. There was...jeezus, lemme think, Morbid Suicide and Tygerlili (her and I are now team Tygernobyl :rofl:), Iris, Deadcat, Nocker, Scary Guy, Pleasure Katzen, Sadatake, Fidget, Faith Evermound, Damaged Angel, Burrich and Hunhee, Void, DJ Saint, Slogo, Lilly Lu, so many. Other faces whom I've met in other worlds (CC or Dirty Show maybe?)

Lastly...LAZORZ! :peanutbutterjellytime: Chernobyl demands more disorienting lasers, glowy shit, and lights that go wheeee! :happydance: I got super laser wasted. I'm hungover not on alcohol but silly flashing lights and the wonderful haunted-house smell of dry ice (I LOVE THAT SMELL)

Everything was perfect! Except the drink prices...I guess you can't have EVERYTHING, right? This place is actually fun though, pool tables to keep me busy, thundering music, a genuinely genuine crowd (whatever the fuck that even means), good convo in the smoking strip outside, distracting shiny blinky whirring stuff, and overall coolness, I didn't feel the need to get drunk. I forgot what it was like to go to a night like that, every time I'm at CC it's so 100% boring, standoffish, and stale that I feel the need to pound down 3 long islands to get things moving.

It's only a few miles from my house! SO SPLENDIFEROUS! I want to try to get my house arranged better and maybe have an after party or simple gathering after the next Resist night I attend.

(Only sad that we had to duck out a little early before some of the DJ sets :cry:. Pestilence and I were a little under the weather this week and were feeling collectively worn down, so we called it a little early. Expect a later stay from us in the future!)

I thought the atmospheric mix was perfect. The bar layout is perfect imo. People can hang out around the front without necessarily being in anyone's way. Pestilence and I found a quaint little table and we parked ourselves at for the first part of the night just to take in the environment. There was a little window next to the table that I swear was strategically placed so that the dance floor could be properly spied on. I also got to watch the band through the same portal, it was like being front row and center at a concert. May I also add that the sound system is about seven City Club sound systems in one but with good bass quality? IMPRESSED! I haven't "felt" music that hard since Skinny Puppy last year at Royal Oak music theater (both the band AND the venue are guaranteed to leave your ears ringing, in combination you will be deaf for a week).

The band? ALSO IMPRESSED! I was impressed with myself that I was impressed, how extreme right? Honestly I was shocked because I'm an elitist asshole when it comes to music (not to be confused with people such as Phee who are simply elitist minus the assholishness), erm well most music, all rivetheads have SOME skeletons :whistle:. They were a tantalizing blend of New Wavish EBM with industrial and trance elements. I know...everyone is thinking "But Cherny, can't you find this at CC?" Of course, but most is so bland in the modern day. The music itself was pretty well orchestrated yet very simplistic in it's approach. The lyrics accompanied this style, meaningful yet very downplayed, playful, and a bit minimalistic in its execution. Particularly dug "My Plight", especially the lyrics for that one, thought provoking yet cheeky and not overbearing. Doing what I DON'T normally do, I walked past the merchandise they had for sale and mentally jotted down the band name. Are these guys local? Either way they've got my support. I even liked the feel of them on stage; no over-the-top 90 gallons of blood, running around on stilts, waving decapitated heads around like one would expect out of so many dark ebm/industrialish bands, but enough energy and phat moves from the band kept the audience moving and into it. Wasn't overtly fancy, but for the venue and the environment it worked quite well.

PEOPLE! I saw sooo many of them! I was floored by the turnout! I was a little nervous because I thought that maybe there would be only a couple people there I knew but that was not the case. I think every damn DJ I've ever met in my life attended, even if I didn't say hi I still saw all of you. There was...jeezus, lemme think, Morbid Suicide and Tygerlili (her and I are now team Tygernobyl :rofl:), Iris, Deadcat, Nocker, Scary Guy, Pleasure Katzen, Sadatake, Fidget, Faith Evermound, Damaged Angel, Burrich and Hunhee, Void, DJ Saint, Slogo, Lilly Lu, so many. Other faces whom I've met in other worlds (CC or Dirty Show maybe?)

Lastly...LAZORZ! :peanutbutterjellytime: Chernobyl demands more disorienting lasers, glowy shit, and lights that go wheeee! :happydance: I got super laser wasted. I'm hungover not on alcohol but silly flashing lights and the wonderful haunted-house smell of dry ice (I LOVE THAT SMELL)

Everything was perfect! Except the drink prices...I guess you can't have EVERYTHING, right? This place is actually fun though, pool tables to keep me busy, thundering music, a genuinely genuine crowd (whatever the fuck that even means), good convo in the smoking strip outside, distracting shiny blinky whirring stuff, and overall coolness, I didn't feel the need to get drunk. I forgot what it was like to go to a night like that, every time I'm at CC it's so 100% boring, standoffish, and stale that I feel the need to pound down 3 long islands to get things moving.

It's only a few miles from my house! SO SPLENDIFEROUS! I want to try to get my house arranged better and maybe have an after party or simple gathering after the next Resist night I attend.

(Only sad that we had to duck out a little early before some of the DJ sets :cry:. Pestilence and I were a little under the weather this week and were feeling collectively worn down, so we called it a little early. Expect a later stay from us in the future!)

Edited by Chernobyl

(both the band AND the venue are guaranteed to leave your ears ringing, in combination you will be deaf for a week).

And yet, I'm still looking forward to better luck in two weeks. (:

I'll just bring my noise-cancelling headphones and foamy airport-level earplugs.

I was all set to go, but then my girlfriend insisted that I make gazpacho with her and that took until 11. I didn't feel much like going out after that. I couldn't get her to go with me. She doesn't like the goth scene at all.

You should go on the 8th! I want to meeeet you, and I plan to be hanging out outside of the club that night. :laugh:

I think she is sad that you cannot go inside and play with us.

Oh, haha!

Whatevz...it'll be fine. I'll probably drive myself or whatever. And just chill outside. If I wanna leave, I can. No biggie.

It will be better then spending the evening like I did last night.

And yet, I'm still looking forward to better luck in two weeks. (:

I'll just bring my noise-cancelling headphones and foamy airport-level earplugs.

No, no, in context of the sentence I was referring to the fact that the only event with sound so loud I was deaf was the combination of Skinny Puppy at Royal Oak Music Theater. But the sound here isn't deafening, it's quality. The bass had a very nice vibration to it that wasn't invasive or uncomfortable.

No, no, in context of the sentence I was referring to the fact that the only event with sound so loud I was deaf was the combination of Skinny Puppy at Royal Oak Music Theater. But the sound here isn't deafening, it's quality. The bass had a very nice vibration to it that wasn't invasive or uncomfortable.

If you sit next to one of the speakers on the dance floor, and chew ice, it feels CRAZY.

Because the bass makes your ice vibrate in your mouth while you chew.

Oh yay! I much prefer this. (Proud member of the "If it's too loud you're too old and by thunder it's too loud!" club.)