I have a Kip and Lafawnduh situation...

I have been talking to this person for a long time, since I was a junior in high school - 8 years. We met through my childhood friend who was friends with him on bolt (the cool site before facebook, myspace, dgn... :unworthy: ) and she wanted me to add him so I figured, why not?

When I saw him *his pictures* and started conversing with him it was instant mutual attraction. We would web-cam, call one another, on top of doing the AIM/messenger thingies about every day. I even saw him before in my dreams before being introduced!

Here we are 8 years later, I'm still in MI and he's over in MT. He's been in the Navy and I've always been in school making okay money but not enough to go anywhere. Now that he's just in school, I am now making better money to possibly go see him. I'm nervous but totally excited. I also want to mention that we have gone though our motions of dating others, having experiences --good and bad-- and I think now is the time to meet and see what happens from there.

I'm just posting this topic to see if anybody has insight on long distance relationships.

If anyone has been in the situation before, knows of friends or acquaintances with this situation.

Or whoever wants to talk about Napoleon Dynamite and his brother Kip's situation (LaFawnduh came from Detroit, MI to visit Kip somewhere in Idaho (which is near Montana, funny coincidence!)

:happy:post-2831-126195498283_thumb.jpg My friend drew this picture from looking at me and seeing a picture of him wiht his dog drawn in '06 I thought it was cute.

If you've managed to continue talking for 8 years... You might be just fine. BUT... Be prepared for the possibility that what works from hundreds of miles away via the internet may feel different in person. Maybe better, maybe not. Also consider that if you really really really hit it off well, you might start to consider moving there. The economy is certainly better anywhere else then here...

Thanks for the input thus far :thanks:

I am starting to make plans to go see him in a few months... I'm thinking April, in between my birthday and his. These few months will seem long but worth the wait. Luckily I work for the hotel industry and I will be staying at a Hilton or Marriott over there. I just need to find a good flight RT because those can get pricey but I really think I will be okay to go financially!

I've met people online before but met them in haste almost immediately after chatting with them. Things obviously didn't work there; however, I think I gave this relationship time to grow and I quite honestly have a good feeling about this.

If you've kept up the friendship/flirtation for 8 years, then I think it's definitely worth a try. I don't really have any advice on starting a LDR, since Morbid and I had already been together a while when our became long-distance, but I agree with Marc that being physically together is a big adjustment from being together but apart. Good luck!

If you've managed to continue talking for 8 years... You might be just fine. BUT... Be prepared for the possibility that what works from hundreds of miles away via the internet may feel different in person. Maybe better, maybe not. Also consider that if you really really really hit it off well, you might start to consider moving there. The economy is certainly better anywhere else then here...

I agree with you entirely.

If you go out there with the attitude that at the very least, you may have a very good friend you'll have a great weekend with, youll do just fine.

As msterbeau said, the reality may be different, but as youve been talking for 8 years, at the least, you should still have a great friend out of the whole thing.

My own experience with a similar situation... we had one helluva fun weekend, but simply remained good friends.