HELP!

Ryle Hira

So yeh umm, I'm not much for asking for help, but for the first time in my sadly busy and chaotic life, I don't have a job and I should probably find one soon.

I got fired for, get this, taking time off to be with my mom while she had surgery.

My boss couldn't even fire me. He typed up a severance letter and said, "You should probably read that." THE DAY BEFORE my mom's second surgery.

I was an executive assistant.

I've worked as a Shop Clerk, Legal Assistant, Admin Assist and Executive Assistant.

I'm great on the phone and have over 6 years experience at being "radar". If anyone hears of any office jobs available in the Oakland County or Livingston County areas, I would be so very thankful for the heads up.

Thanks a bunch.

Edited by Ryle Hira

I agree with jammers and Brenda, that sounds illegal, and the Family Medical Leave Act protects people from this kind of stuff. I believe you have to fill papers out beforehand, but when you do, you can use it on a regular basis, or intermittently if needed. I work in a nursing home and there are a couple of CENA's that need to use it about once a week due to family health issues. They never know when stuff is going to get bad, so when they have to call in, they say its FMLA, and they can't get fired. I would fight it any way you can while you're looking for other work. And if I see anything, I'll be sure to let you know! Hang in there!

OK... thank you for the support, but I know the law well, having 6 year experience. I know I have no rights in this regard.

ONE - AT WILL state.

TWO They fired me for "Poor Performance due to absences" they did not put in writing that it was due to the time off for my mothers surgeries (even if that was the only time I took off).

They did not leave themselves open for any liability. In fact to cash the generous severance package that I was offered, I signed an agreement stating that neither party would seek any legal recourse once I cashed that check. Which I have.

I just need a job. If you hear of anything please let me know. Thank you for your most heart felt and encouraging concern. *hugs*

Edited by Ryle Hira

Craigslist office/admin jobs listings

PLENTY of stuff to be found, here! Chin up!

Actually, you NEED to be careful of anything for the office type, posted on Craig's List. Most (not all of it) of it is spam. And NEVER respond to any e-mails back asking you to do a credit check on yourself. (Which that's mostly all I've gotten back.) In the emails, there should be a company after the name of the person who sent it. Google the company name. look at the websites, read people's blogs and other CL complaints about said company. Do your research before sending an email back. If its real people, they will understand if you ask them "is this spam?" Trust me on that. If they aren't "how dare you imply" or something along those lines, don't deal with them. That just means its still spam, but they don't like being caught. I actually had a company call me back and explain that they totally understand my concerns, ect ect... so yeah, just be really careful!!!!!!

And GOOD LUCK!!! :grouphug

Actually, you NEED to be careful of anything for the office type, posted on Craig's List. Most (not all of it) of it is spam. And NEVER respond to any e-mails back asking you to do a credit check on yourself. (Which that's mostly all I've gotten back.) In the emails, there should be a company after the name of the person who sent it. Google the company name. look at the websites, read people's blogs and other CL complaints about said company. Do your research before sending an email back. If its real people, they will understand if you ask them "is this spam?" Trust me on that. If they aren't "how dare you imply" or something along those lines, don't deal with them. That just means its still spam, but they don't like being caught. I actually had a company call me back and explain that they totally understand my concerns, ect ect... so yeah, just be really careful!!!!!!

And GOOD LUCK!!! :grouphug

Thanks so much for the input. I always do my research on a company before the first interview. Part of my training. You always want to make them know you care. The more you know about them the more you impress your real need for employment and the intiative to care about the company you WANT to work for.

Chin up and Holding Strong

~Ryle

• 5 weeks later...

For that matter, does anyone know of any open security jobs out there? Would like something better then what I'm doing...have checked all the job boards and stuff and have been calling around + looking with no luck.

Macy's is hiring for loss-prevention, right now.

Thanks. Which location though?

Looks like all those positions are filled, as I don't see the ad, anymore. I do know, however, that the Sterling Heights location of Burlington Coat Factory is hiring loss-prevention associates.

E-mail your resume to this address: employment.opportunities@coat.com, 25@coat.com

Write this in the subject line: Job Inquiry - Loss Prevention - st25 - Sterling Hts, MI

Lansing and Grand Rapids locations are also hiring. http://corporate.burlingtoncoatfactory.com/employment/store_Positions.php?position=LOSS_PREV

I was an executive assistant.

I've worked as a Shop Clerk, Legal Assistant, Admin Assist and Executive Assistant.

I'm great on the phone and have over 6 years experience at being "radar". If anyone hears of any office jobs available in the Oakland County or Livingston County areas, I would be so very thankful for the heads up.

Thanks a bunch.

Well, admittedly, I'm in Wayne County, but what work I have can all be done over the Internet. SMACC still has tables I need to sell, performance slots I need to fill, and business sponsorships that need to be gotten. Basically, I'll give you a 10% finder's fee on the tables and sponsorships, $5 for every performance slot filled.

In fact, I know that there are other DetGoth members reading this post--if ANYONE here buys a table or fills a performance slot, $5 will go toward Ryle Hira. Never let it be said I didn't try to take care of our own.

--J,

closet nice guy

Well, admittedly, I'm in Wayne County, but what work I have can all be done over the Internet. SMACC still has tables I need to sell, performance slots I need to fill, and business sponsorships that need to be gotten. Basically, I'll give you a 10% finder's fee on the tables and sponsorships, $5 for every performance slot filled.

In fact, I know that there are other DetGoth members reading this post--if ANYONE here buys a table or fills a performance slot, $5 will go toward Ryle Hira. Never let it be said I didn't try to take care of our own.

--J,

closet nice guy

...sweet...I'll tell her ;) She's me girlfriend :p

*runs off to PM*