Courtney Love does the math

Scary Guy

Not sure about all her facts, and im ignoring any feelings i have about her "as a person" , thats an interesting article regardless. With a lot more nuts and bolts type details than you usually get in the fairly glossy "fuck the man" type articles you see.

Regardless of what legislative problems there are, as long as there are starving artists, willing to sign on the dotted line so they can eat, and do what they love at the same time (regardless of how bad they get shafed) the things she (and many many many others are , and have bitched for ages) will remain.

If i'm joe blow band member, having to work a regular job and do my gigs at night. Sony comes a long and offers me a shitty contract, but it will pay for the rent, and i will be able to become a "professional rock star". Sign me up quick before they change their minds! Regardless of how bad the deal is, most guys will sign rather than holding out for a better deal and having to continue working at wall mart while they wait. Thats the core "problem".

Hopefully the contract is short enough that your not an old man before you get out from under it, can make your bones, and a name for yourself , then afterwards your in a position to negotiate from a position of strength under a new contract.

Hey, hey, hey..... show the lady some respect.

After all, she's only the second artist I've seen bitching at the Music Industry or the RIAA about this whole thing anyway. Don Henley was the first I read about.

She's talking about how artists themselves are cheated out of the real money, money that greedy-grab-ass RIAA hoards and still sues to get more cash. Those who download music arent to blame for the artist being poor, it's the RIAA's fault, as well as the Music Industry. Even so, despite the fact how painful that realization is, there's going to be no change.

Hey, if my art is going to be taken away from me and copywritten to someone else or under some other name, I'd rather be working at a 7-11 to pay my bills, thank you.

She's got a point. You cant forget that.

I make no plans to make money off of my knowledge of music (( or lack thereof )), however, I draw and write. I can relate on that standpoint. I've already HAD my artwork ripped and taken to be someone else's art. It pissed me off, and the art server that both us artists were on didnt do squat.

See? There's a smiliarity for you.

Archived