How Do We Feel About Illegal Immigrants?

How do we feel about Illegal Immigrants?

All i can seem to think is there is a reason why its called Illegal immigration and i shouldn't have such a naturally accepting "feeling" about it. Yet i seem to be unable to come to the "round em up and kick em out" conclusion and keep wanting to find a solid reason to ignore the illegal part of it. Too wimpy?

Somehow my inner voice keeps telling me the world should be borderless, but from a practical standpoint that inner voice probably needs a reality check.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Troy,

When I think about this subject, I think about a lunchline in a cafeteria in a school; I see an illegal immigrant as someone who cuts someone in line, taking their place in the line. I see it as dishonest and unfair. I wish our government had the sack to enforce the borders. If a foreigner wants to come to this country to live, they should do it legally. What is the policy of other countries on this subject I wonder. I seriously doubt that other countries would let illegals slide and cut them the slack that our government does. I see that you don't feel that you could wrap your mind around the idea of rounding them all up and deporting them all, but I can. People say ohh you can't do that, I say Why not ???

the above is and are just my thoughts on this subject at the moment, and anyone who wants to disagree with what Ive said, is more then welcome to do so, I won't be upset at all. I just ask that no one jumps on me for me choosing to share my thoughts on this.

The only problem I have with illegal immigrants is that they for the most part pay no taxes and still use public services, however, the stats listed below are pretty small potatoes compared to what we spend in 3 months on the War in Iraq.

COSTS FOR US TAXPAYERS

The INS does not have the staff necessary to track them or deport them. In some parts of the county they make up as much as 28% of the population. In some prison systems as many as 24% of the prisoners are immigrants, causing tremendous taxpayer expense.

The estimated annual costs of illegal immigration to U.S. taxpayers are approximately:

-education-$8 billion

-imprisonment for crimes-$1.5 billion

-welfare-$6 billion

-food stamps-$7 billion

-health care-$1.4 billion

source: source

We ourselves are legal immigrants only because our forefathers forced our way into this country. I'm all for opening up the borders and granting citizenship to those who pass a rigorous background check and make a vow to learn english, which most immigrants do or already speak upon entering the country.

Immigrants bring culture, work their asses off, do jobs many of us wouldn't (or I wouldn't) want to do, get paid shit wages and live in terrible conditions, sometimes up to 20 people sleep in a box in NY on shifts. It's terrible.

If you want the chance at a better life and think that chance is here in the US, come on down.

One argument for shipping them away is terrorism, well I call bullshit on that one. It's easy as hell to get a visa even now, and I've never heard of an Hispanic terrorist, and they make up the vast majority of illegal immigrants.

I can't begin to fathom living in a country with such little chance at prosperity that I have to leave and start over in a new one, under the fear of being deported. On a simple humanitarian level, let them in! All humans deserve their shot at making a great life for themselves, they want to do it here, awesome.

And then there's this:

DANGERS FOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS

Illegal immigration into the US becomes deadly for some of immigrants and miserable for many more. Those who survive are often blackmailed or sold into virtual slavery. Illegal immigrants from Mexico who are smuggled in are typically charged more than $1,000. They are often paid less than $5 a day.

If they survive the trip, they are often held hostage while their families are blackmailed for additional funds. Boys and girls often become sex slaves, chained to their beds and murdered if they try to escape. Those who condone illegal immigration have opened the door to a return of slavery to the US. With no controls on immigration, illegal immigrants are often the ultimate victims of the system. Undocumented people cannot be protected from abuse. Historically, immigrants have been the primary victims of immigrant gangs.

Holy christ, if the will to survive is that strong that you would risk your life coming here, risk slavery, live in abject poverty because you can't legally rent anything, get paid minimum wage, etc., you deserve a chance to live in my country.

We are a country borne of immigrants, not granting amnesty and opening the flood gates is a slap in the face to our own history and unbelievable luck at living here. In my opinion.

Also from personal observation. I've lived in both Los Angeles and New York City and the bulk of the 12 million illegal immigrants live in these places. They're Hispanic illegals are easy to spot, tired, worn down, wearing salvation army clothing, they travel in groups to their jobs on the buses and subways, they keep to themselves, take care of their families, never gave me any dirty looks if they even made eye contact, try to keep to their culture and traditions and are simply trying to survive. I don't see them living high off my taxpaying hog at all. They want a chance at a better life. How can I possibly deny them that. I am no better than them just because they're not "legal" here. And come to think of it, when I eventually own a home in NY, if I can help give safe shelter to illegals, I will without hesitation.

Illegal Immigrants

Hmmmm....

Me personally I dont care about people coming to America even if its illegal because they wanted a better life. Im sure everyone read a story in the newspaper about the little boy form China who was sent to America by his parents at the age of hmm 9 and worked in a buffet for like 12 years paying back loan sharks to get his parents out of debt and to bring his parents here for a better life. Maybe the story about the boy from Saigon whose mom left him here to graduate high school and go to college but he wasnt a citizen yet. He became a legal citizen, graduated late and went off to college.

But I do hear you on them not paying taxes and get to use public services.

I agree that if you want to live somewhere you should become a citizen and if that takes too long for them the should get a dual citizenship but no one ever thinks of that.

And for those that are fucking terrified of terrorist and say everyone should have a cavity search randomly even outside the airport I SAY BREATHE.

Hmm Im young so I dont have alot of expierence in paying taxes, politics, and other issues that America needs to deal with nowadays. I honestly dont mind. I work for what I have the same way they do and it doesnt bug me.

I feel if I make the money to pay for whats mine why cant the next person illegal immigrant or not.

Well I am mixed about it. On one hand I think if it were me I would be hoppin the fence too....and I hate that they 'take jobs' although most 'take' jobs no one seems to want anyway....for pay no one wants. And its easy to not like someone unless you are friends with them then it all changes.

Don't know why they are let in to start with but Micheal Moore pointed out some major flaws in his movie in border patrol...it seems to be on purpose.

Out west its usually mexicans you see pickin oranges. And, they can have it! I am sooo alergic to those damn blossoms I wouldn't even be able to do it. Got stuck in a orchard once cause I couldn't stop sneezing enough to keep driving.

I loves me some mexicans though I really do. Hug.

The word Illegal says it all.

It used to be illegal for African Americans to own land or drink from "white" drinking fountains.

It also used to be illegal for a wife to refuse sex from her husband.

I could go on and on abut ridiculous things that were "illegal" and no longer are.

Just because something is illegal now, that doesn't make it right.

I think everyone should have a chance to come and live here, but they need to go through the legal channels.

I am not going to go into a big argument as to why because I'm still feeling out of it and my head is foggy to today, but that's my bottom line.

I am not an IMMIGRANT... we are NOT ALL immigrants... some of us MIGRATED here before the concept of borders...

YES, Troy...no borders...I so agree with you...but the rest of Humanity is simply not ready to advance to such a 'Star Trek' reality...so we gotta' sit back and let everyone else fight over it, until they realize; Earth is one big chunk.

It used to be illegal for African Americans to own land or drink from "white" drinking fountains.

It also used to be illegal for a wife to refuse sex from her husband.

I could go on and on abut ridiculous things that were "illegal" and no longer are.

Just because something is illegal now, that doesn't make it right.

But it does make it Illegal.

They also get more rights than someone who was born and raised here which is bullshit.

also anyone remember what Australia has done in the past,this article

http://adjunct.diodon349.com/Attack_on_USA...r_like_this.htm

you come here to live do it legally and pay taxes like the rest of us.

I think THOSE are the best words I EVER heard for this side of this argument...

I wasn't born here, and I was somewhat raised here.. at least since I was five.

I hear that there is a LOT that one has to go through in order to become an American Citizen these days.. I don't really remember, I was only five, I was never given a choice, and I was also never given a choice whether or not I wanted to have a dual citizenship with my previous country.

I have since tried to find out if there was such a thing as Dual Citizenship with my birth country, but they seem not to want me back. South Korea doesn't give dual citizenships, not even to those of us exported out of our old country to live with strangers that may or may not be good for us (btw, did you know they could have sent us back within a year, had things not worked out?) I could only imagine.. being rejected twice.. *sighs*

I have to say, I really REALLY lucked out on the parenting front, but I have heard some bad stories about children sold into slavery, and to me, this is sad. Those children are illegal.. even if they wanted to go back to their own country, no one would have them. No one to take care of them. Which do you think is better?

It's so sad, we all like to sit here, judging from our cooshie computers, our lofty internet, our high tech comfy chairs and not too many of us know what it's like to be born into nothing, to have nothing except a dream.. the dream to make your life better than the shit-hole that you were born into.

We were all once immigrants... we may not have dubbed them "illegal" at that time, but to think that this country was founded by men who didn't rightfully own the land, and we sit here now telling people they have no right to be here.. it's sad..

A lot of these illegal immigrants do try to become legal immigrants.. unfortunately it takes YEARS for this process to take effect, where they can't work.. who here can afford to live here and not have a job while they wait for the legal process to take effect? I would venture to guess NONE of us..

Just my two cents.

Emotions should have absolutely no place in the rule of law.

Otherwise Justice will never truly be blind.

Alas, justice is defined as conformity to absolute moral principle, & humanity is linked inextricably to our morals. Since humanity is in part based on our compassion for one another as human beings, we must exercise compassion in our dealings with both the justice (the absolute) & the law (its imperfect long-shadow).

I therefore must dissent with your opinion, however much I respect your right to disagree with mine.

:)

Alas, justice is defined as conformity to absolute moral principle, & humanity is linked inextricably to our morals. Since humanity is in part based on our compassion for one another as human beings, we must exercise compassion in our dealings with both the justice (the absolute) & the law (its imperfect long-shadow).

I therefore must dissent with your opinion, however much I respect your right to disagree with mine.

:)

Man may be a very emotional creature, the creation of it's laws may be based on it's emotional needs, and morals. But once those laws, no matter the reason they were created, are passed that's it. Laws have to be executed with no emotional attachment. Police, lawyers, juries, and judges have to keep their own morals and emotions out of the execution of the laws they've sworn to uphold. When emotion interfers, as I said, Justice is no longer blind.

We chose, as a country, to create the immigration laws that we have today, for very good reasons. To sit there and say "Oh but these people come from a poor destitute country with corrupt governments, we should show pity on them when they break our laws and sneak in..." completely defeats the entire purpose those laws were written for.

It doesn't matter what my opinion is though, people act just like you say Fin. R Kelly video tapes himself fucking a 14yr old, OJ kills his wife, Jacko sleeps with kids... and they're protected from Justice because of the emotions of all their fans, and the power of their money.

The same with the illegals. As long as those laws stand, they have to be enforced by the letter. If you are in this country illegally, you should be deported.