Phee's musical trivia question of the week.

phee

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im pretty sure it was Trent Reznor, and I do seem to recall that he was picking on FLA in particular, but was also attacking this "EBM/industrial" cliche that has come about over the years. It has been a while since I read that, though.

yup I was correct.

Taken from 03/92 issue of Spin....

For every band that I think has something to say, like Ministry, or Meat Beat Manifesto, there's twice as many that have realized the formula for industrial music: repetitive 16th-note bass lines, snarling vocals--usually unintelligible screaming about the horrible condition of the planet or some kind of doomsday message about how shitty things are. Front Line Assembly is a textbook case of a band that---I can't listen to a fucking song, let alone an album. Just monotonous, boring uninspired bullshit. And they're far more traditional and far more exemplary of 'industrial' than NIN is. -Trent Reznor

yup I was correct.

Taken from 03/92 issue of Spin....

For every band that I think has something to say, like Ministry, or Meat Beat Manifesto, there's twice as many that have realized the formula for industrial music: repetitive 16th-note bass lines, snarling vocals--usually unintelligible screaming about the horrible condition of the planet or some kind of doomsday message about how shitty things are. Front Line Assembly is a textbook case of a band that---I can't listen to a fucking song, let alone an album. Just monotonous, boring uninspired bullshit. And they're far more traditional and far more exemplary of 'industrial' than NIN is. -Trent Reznor

Damnit, I love this! Not that I think what NIN does is fantastic or anything. But, damn, do I ever love this! And in 1992! 13 years later, you still hear the same shit being played everywhere! And it is actual new bands regurgitating this sound! Excellent!

I heard he issued an apology to FLA for this some time afterwards. Seems it was more due to bad press he received than a heart felt apology, but I can't remember. Ironically and even funnier is I heard Bill Leeb trashed Velvet Acid Christ for the same basic thing. He passed the demo onto a label guy, thinking he might enjoy it, but I heard he did so trash talking the demo the whole way. That shit makes me laugh like crazy.

Archived