Movies that scared you when you where a kid

We all have our favs and hate lists for flicks - but I thought it would be fun to drag up childhood memories. So, when you where little, what movie made you want to hide under the covers or gave you nightmares?! Especially if you watch them now and just laugh at the cheesiness - Come on - we all have them!

Oddly enough - mine was Silverbullet Gimmie a break I was a kid, then there was Monkey shines - monkeys scare me - don't ask - long story

So, anyone eles care to share?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest MsMaldoror

I saw "The Shining" on cable TV for the 1st time when I was 9 years old. That scene with the two little girls axed up in the hall really creeped me out at the time. In fact, that movie still gives me the creeps.

Nightmare on Elm St. IV... It's not the movie that scared me though but the dream of it happening in my grandparents house.

There was also that other movie... forgot the name though but it was basically a shity movie with a poor plot, but one good part that was interesting near the end. If I think of it, I'll post.

Sadly enough, Pee Wee's Big Adventure when I was really little. Does anyone remember the scene where "Large Marge" makes a face imitating the effects of a truck accident? That image freaked me out.

There was also some movie on TV where they opened up the fridge and there was a dog's head inside. I kept imagining seeing that everywhere for a while afterwards

Sadly enough, Pee Wee's Big Adventure when I was really little. Does anyone remember the scene where "Large Marge" makes a face imitating the effects of a truck accident?  That image freaked me out.
Holy god, ME TOO!! I can specifically remember the very moment I was watching that part (in the theater, next to my sister). I was eating some kind of gross almond candy (and just realizing it was gross) and so I associated that taste (which stayed in my mouth for days) with that scene, and just... ugh. It was pretty intense. It's oddly comforting to know that it messed someone else up, too.

Other movies that freaked me out: Poltergeist; I saw it when I was probably no older than 4 (we were still living in Oregon), and that totally traumatized me, for sure. Also, there was some movie on television when we lived in Georgia for the first time, so I must have been around 5, called Don't Go To Sleep, I think... looking back now, I remember snippets of it, and can tell that it's probably totally lame, but back then, oh my goodness. The opening scene involved the dad of the family electrocuting himself in the bathtub. Wholesome goodness.

In case you couldn't tell, my parents had no interest in monitoring what the kids were watching on TV at all.

the dark crystal...

that and which ever nightmare on

elm street had the kid who got stuck

in the waterbed and girl that got stuck

in the boiling hot shower.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, Johnny Depp got sucked into that waterbed. That lucky waterbed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah that was IV, and in my grandparents bedroom :p (at least I think it was IV, it's been a while).

The car at the end too...

I also forgot about "Poltergeist II: The Other Side"... The scene with the kid and whatever that blue crap was in his mouth. Also I've been told I look like Julian Beck as Kane in the movie. He was just creepy, I liked that part :) (http://www.virtualblood.com/sgu/lookalike.html list)

Sadly enough, Pee Wee's Big Adventure when I was really little. Does anyone remember the scene where "Large Marge" makes a face imitating the effects of a truck accident?  That image freaked me out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*sigh* yup. me too. id forgotten all about it though. thanks :tongue:

Yeah that was IV, and in my grandparents bedroom :p (at least I think it was IV, it's been a while).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

johnny depp was in part 1

• 2 weeks later...

yes, poltergiest

but, you all are going to laugh at me but here it goes

big foot. There was a movie about bigfoot on tv once and it scared me to death!

there was this one movie about an albino ape and it was killing people-freaked me.

the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark, when they open the ark and all of those ghostly creatures are flying around and people are melting

then I watched In Search Of and they did a segment about the Amityville house. They showed the doll rocking in the chair and the eyes glowed red-*shivers*

here is the one I'm REALLY embarassed of......the blob! I was scared that the blob might be under my bed waiting to take me into it's blobbiness!

There's nothing wrong with being scared after seeing the Blob. That movie creeped me out too.

Another one that creeped me out, wasn't a movie. It was the "Fluck Man" Episode of X-Files. After I watched that episode, I didn't use a Porta-Potty for a month.

I still have problems using one today and not because they are just grose to begin with.

Phantasm II is so great....that 4-barreled shotgun

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, and Sweet Holy Jeebus Kids, The Salem's Lot Mini-Series. :ohmy: Remember the Freaking "Salem's Lot" with David Soul, of Starsky & Hutch fame. That lil' boy floating at the window, scratching his demonic lil claws on the panes still gives me the willies. ewwwwwwy :fear:

Archived