Makeup Sensitivities,

Over the years, I've had serious trouble getting eye makeup to work out successfully for me. Liquid liners always run, and cause my eyes to sting something awful, same for mascaras. I've stopped using waterproof mascaras, as they usually make it worse.

I've been using almay products for the most part for a few years now, and that seems to help. I'm not really keen on most of their eyeshadow colors though, and their mascara is subpar as far as thickness goes.

Which brings me to my first question - Is there a better line of hypoallergenic makeup out there?

This actually brings me to another issue - with shadows, I've tried everything. Loose powders, pressed powders, liquid powders, pigment powders, I've used mac, and hip color, and several dozen other things over time. I simply cannot find a shadow line that won't crease. I'm okay for the first hour, but then the color starts to move around. By the end of the work day, I've got two lines of thick color on my lids, and nothing else to speak of.

I should note - I don't have any other allergies, to food or environmental factors, except for cigarette smoke. I suppose I'm just very sensitive to chemicals, esp any kind of drying agent in makeup. Which is especially funny, because turpentine doesn't even make me flinch when I paint.

I don't use any liquid or powder foundations. I cleanse, tone, and moisturize before putting on any makeup, and I never put moisturizers too close to my eye area. For a while, I was using an "eye calming cream," by guinot, but it didn't seem to make a difference in the sensitivity , and it made the creasing worse. As for my cleansing regiment, I use Aveeno products (a combination of skin clearing and skin calming, because I get pimples and redness, hooray for italian wop and viking skin) along with a nivea moisturizing toner. I also use eucerin anti-red products. I switch them around every few days, as it seems to keep my skin in a much better condition vs using one line of products, oddly enough.

Oh, and I religiously throw out my shadows after one year (I'm the annoying girl who writes the date of purchase on the bottom of the package). I think it's supposed to be six months, but I keep them in a cool and dry place outside of my bathroom, so they're pretty safe as far as bacterial growth is concerned. My mascara and liners get the six month boot, mostly because they don't last any longer.

I think that's all the information I could possibly give on the subject.

So, what do the make-up gurus recommend? Is it my technique instead of the product? Is there something out there that will help the shadow adhere to my lid, but won't cause my eyes to sting? Or am I just doomed to blunder forever?

Here I go.....my replies after each paragraph.

Over the years, I've had serious trouble getting eye makeup to work out successfully for me. Liquid liners always run, and cause my eyes to sting something awful, same for mascaras. I've stopped using waterproof mascaras, as they usually make it worse.

~~Try a waterproof eyeliner. Even better (possibly) for you: Bare Minerals Shadow Liners and Weather Everything Waterproof Liner Sealer. The shadows are around $13.

I've been using almay products for the most part for a few years now, and that seems to help. I'm not really keen on most of their eyeshadow colors though, and their mascara is subpar as far as thickness goes.

~~Bare Minerals has a mascara called "Big Tease." Pretty decent at $15.

Which brings me to my first question - Is there a better line of hypoallergenic makeup out there?

~~Bare Minerals should really do the trick. 99% of all purchasers have NO problems with the line, as it does NOT contain talc, a major irritant. It's crushed MINERALS. My skin has improved GREATLY because of it.

This actually brings me to another issue - with shadows, I've tried everything. Loose powders, pressed powders, liquid powders, pigment powders, I've used mac, and hip color, and several dozen other things over time. I simply cannot find a shadow line that won't crease. I'm okay for the first hour, but then the color starts to move around. By the end of the work day, I've got two lines of thick color on my lids, and nothing else to speak of.

~~You need an eye shadow base. Bare Minerals makes one, but my favorite is Urban Decay's Primer Potion. Of all that I've tried, I SWEAR, I get NO creasing. My shadow does NOT move.

I don't use any liquid or powder foundations. I cleanse, tone, and moisturize before putting on any makeup, and I never put moisturizers too close to my eye area. For a while, I was using an "eye calming cream," by guinot, but it didn't seem to make a difference in the sensitivity , and it made the creasing worse. As for my cleansing regiment, I use Aveeno products (a combination of skin clearing and skin calming, because I get pimples and redness, hooray for italian wop and viking skin) along with a nivea moisturizing toner. I also use eucerin anti-red products. I switch them around every few days, as it seems to keep my skin in a much better condition vs using one line of products, oddly enough.

~~I swear by Peter Thomas Roth skincare. I've had exceptional results.

Oh, and I religiously throw out my shadows after one year (I'm the annoying girl who writes the date of purchase on the bottom of the package). I think it's supposed to be six months, but I keep them in a cool and dry place outside of my bathroom, so they're pretty safe as far as bacterial growth is concerned. My mascara and liners get the six month boot, mostly because they don't last any longer.

~~ONE YEAR???? NOOOOOOOOOOO! Four to six months for ALL eye color products. And do NOT share. I don't care what ANYONE says. People will say that they've NEVEREVEREVER had a problem. Give it time, ladies! You will.

Thanks brenda, you're a gem!

And for the record, I never share my eye makeup, no worries on that front. Yet another reason why I've never gotten professional store advice on these topics - I don't want them sticking that stuff near me, sanitized or not.

I am alergic and sensetive to a ton of stuff.

Bare minerals is good......I never get a zit from it.

However, most hypo alergenic stuff makes me break out in a rash...

Can't handle clinique or Noxema anything.

Its just trial and error for me.

Some cheap stuff actually bothers me less than the more expensive things.

Then again......you can go years and all of the sudden develop an allergy.

And I have found no eye shadow that doesn't crease.

Can't handle clinique or Noxema anything.

~~Most of Clinique's skincare is alcohol based. That breaks down the cellular structure of your skin, making you age quicker. AVOID IT. Noxema just plain sucks.

Then again......you can go years and all of the sudden develop an allergy.

~~This is VERY true. Your body chemistry changes approximately every 7 years. What you weren't allergic to before, you could be now.

And I have found no eye shadow that doesn't crease.

~~Again....Urban Decay Primer Potion.

yea, i used foundation once, ONCE. i broke out something fierce, i had to play it off as i didn't know what happened seeing as how im a guy and guys wearing foundation usually does not make for good topics to bring up with the rents. i need some, but as well i never knew what kind to get or what. i dont even remember what i used. my friend put it on. so i dunno. none the less ive had bad makeup experiences, that and i need to learn how to use makeup. im a noob at that sorta thing

Guest Megalicious

Oh, and whatever you do, don't buy your shit from Ulta. Come see me at Sephora in JC Penney's on Gratiot. :happy:

Not to get off topic, but do you make a commission Bren? If you do I'll stop shopping at Sephora on line, and actually buy from you =)

Back to topic at hand sorry..... :happy:

Not to get off topic, but do you make a commission Bren? If you do I'll stop shopping at Sephora on line, and actually buy from you =)

Back to topic at hand sorry..... :happy:

No, but I DO have numbers to make if I want to be promoted. And, I sure do.

So buy your Bare Minerals from ME, you sensitive-skinned beauties!!!!

I'm sensitive to the sight of old ladies that have those rouge circles, or the chicks with orange pancake face. It hurts my feelings.

Seriously, if you clean and moisturize with fragrance free products first and buy makeup from places like Yves Roche or online at natural stores you may have good results. Usually it is something as simple as a certain number dye or fragrance that is doing it.

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread! At Brenda's recommendation I bought the Urban Decay eye potion on ebay. I'm also going to try the Eucerin anti-redness cleansing products. I admit I bought a "generic" set of mineral makeup and it works really well if just a little bit drying. I haven't used Bare Minerals so I don't know if they have the same problem.

Ivy

I just started using the aveda eye pencil. I like it cause it doesnt get in my eyes through out the day. I wish it was darker though. I used to use mac but that got me looking racoony way to fast and the same thing with dior. My friends say that estee lauder makes the best mascara but i am actually happy with my mary kay. No matter what you do your make up wont look as good after work as it did when you put it on, i usually do a touch up on my lunch break.

Great thread! At Brenda's recommendation I bought the Urban Decay eye potion on ebay. I'm also going to try the Eucerin anti-redness cleansing products. I admit I bought a "generic" set of mineral makeup and it works really well if just a little bit drying. I haven't used Bare Minerals so I don't know if they have the same problem.

Ivy

I loooooooove that Primer Potion! Their Glide-On 24/7 Liners are awesome as Hell! As for the minerals, the only true mineral makeups (read: pure) are Jane Iredale and Bare Minerals. Everything else has additives.

Archived