Hello all,

My name is Tresluxe and I am new to Mich and I noticed that there's no real socializing. I am very disappionted. I am from Cali and we had meet-ups, film fests and even a Batsday at Disneyland. well I noticed that all the success of those events and wanted apply the same concept here. I want to reallt improve the "scene" here in Mich. I want to start a meet-up for Detroit and the surrounding areas, I want to start a goth day at Cedar point for next July, I want to start a horror film fest and a host of other ideas that I have. If you are intrested feel free to drop me a line through here or on my personal email address. Burlesquebabe04@yahoo.com. Plus, I'd like to have a meet-up at comiccon in may (the 15th i believe) I feel that with a little hard work that we could have one of the largest scenes in the nation right in our own backyard. * If you are just going to try to pick my ideas apart please do not respond*

Love,

Tresluxe :cat:

So (and this isn't as off-topic as it sounds, really), how long have you lived in Michigan?

Maybe you just haven't found everything yet. We're pretty sneaky, you know.

I've lived in many different cities in many different states, and thus have seen and been in and around many different goth "scenes", and I'd have to say that I'd save the tag "awful" for a few of those places. Detroit's "scene" is pretty standard, I'd say.

What brings you to this area? Work? School? Have you been to any of the local clubs yet?

"Theres no real socalizing" is not correct. We "socalize" constantly. I actually have to stop myself from going out and overdoing it.

That "if your just trying to pick my ideas apart" comment isnt nessisary, for the most part we eventually boot the rude assholes from DGN. Part of the reasons this board exists is to try and have a friendly place on the net.

Having said that, starting out with "this place is terrible!" probably will tend to cause a bit more abrasive a response than you might have intended.

In terms "things to do in Detroit" i don't think I've been able to go more than maybe 3 days in a row without seeing some sort of "new gathering" or event, or hangout night , somewhere in the tri-county area. The DGN Calendar probably doesn't even have 1/10th (top of the board where it says "calendar") of the things that are going on around town, something im working on getting rectified.

YOu do need to insert yourself in the scene to judge it properly, show up at City Club/Luna/Necto/Mephistos etc (check the calendar) on a given night and start talking, you'll never run out of new faces. If "having things to do with other people" is a problem.

In terms of "big events" there, im sure, are less, in Michigan as the population in California is gargantuan compared to the population of Michigan.

There is no shortage of people that will go to a well-advertised, well run event. If your serious about starting events, and are willing to put the time and effort that it takes to make a clearly defined, well planned out, well advertised event, it will go off. To get something rolling you need to be willing to see it through from beginning to end, and make it happen. I'd say pick 1 or 2 of thoes ideas, think it through, in terms of date/times/cost and make a seprate post asking for ideas about it, then based on that, set a date/time/details and start advertizing it. Its a lot of work, and you can get discouraged very fast, i wouldnt enter into "event organizing" lightly.

I'd have to second above comments that tend to think you just haven't been around long enough to find out about existing events, and also you do have to factor in the smaller population of this area than that of California.

My advice at least in the short term, would be to introduce yourself , in some other way than "hi this place sucks" haha. I can imagine if you posted that same type of intro in a different context the responses wouldnt have been nearly as understanding as these ones have been. :tongue:

Anyhow welcome. Hopefully you'll be able to suffer our horrible corner of the country without to much distaste eventually. If your free , show up this saturday at city club , you'll find some of us there, we pretty easy going. =)

Yes I agree with the rest of the board here, we do socialize a lot though we may not have as many well organized meetings as you seem to have had experience with. I for one, am more then willing to assist in these types of endeavors and am looking to help promote the local Michigan scene in any way that I can. I think the same can be said of most of the members of DGN. If you’re serious about getting things going you came to the right place to advertise and bounce feedback around. I'm sure we are all interested in seeing what fresh blood has to say. If you want some help, by all means ask us.

Oh and welcome, hello, waves and stuff.

~TLS

Yeah I kind of bounced her here from the other "not so friendly" forum we all love to hate. She pretty much made the same post there. I gave her some URL's and ideas. Trying to get an anti-social community to actually be social isn't the easiest thing to do in the world. But it is easier to do when they are actually willing to do it.

I do hope that this user can contribute something good to the scene here, which is why I referred it.

My apologies for letting a 10 year atitude twords the cal goth scene squerm out it probable is unfounded now.

That aside if you want to do a legal film fest let me knowI may beable to help I've had plenty of time to reflect on how I failed...

lack of advertising

vater. is that u in the picture

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes it is ccgoddess.

Well I didn't PM her, I E-mailed, and I didn't just mention this forum but tried to give her as much info on the detroit scene as possible.

You never suggest people go somewhere else on someone elses forum. It's just rude and in bad taste. You do it in private where no one can see, that way no one can yell at you.

I meant that as more of a goofy comment to the tune of "being helpful is a bannable offence in some contexts", and it didn't come off right. I never made a direct "hey you go to DGN" comment on that particular board ever. I do strangely get links to posts there, probably on the order of one a month in IM and email / PM with people giving me examples of good ways to be rude though. (its educational)

I actually thought i should edit it after i posted it the other day as my original intent was not clear. But figured it wasn't even something that would warrant more than a passing glance, much less a conversation about "what is and isn't polite" on a message board, a subject wich i i've pretty much written a novel on in various forms, so i just left it as it was.

:laughing:

what a wonderful word!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I must agree.. How about we have a Nine Inch Nails for Humanity (lile habitat for humanity) gathering for charitible purposes...& open "bauhaus" nights for members having open houses? Ohhh the plethora of wordplay events we can have... weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

WOW!! I have never been met with such a warm reception. The people at city club are so rude!! Well, I wanted to set up a few events of my own. Kinda like a meet and greet if you will. I came to Mich to live with my dad and Branch off from my best friend Noah and make a mark on the "scene" on my own. I would like to have a goth day at Cedar point this fall before they close down for the season. I am intrested in all ares of the scene. I also want to have a goth meet-up at least once a month. Starting in may. So I have time to gather up people who are intrested. I am also looking for a place to hold one of them. Someone suggested " Dave and Buster" in Ann Arbor. I am very eager to get things going through the year. Especially at Halloween, I also am intrested in having a horror film fest at a local college. I look forward to hearing from people who are intrested. My private email is BurlesqueBabe04@yahoo.com

Love,

Glad we could make you feel welcome. We try. =)

Tre, you might seriously think about just take one or two of thoes ideas, detail it out and make a post about it, right off the bat i bet you'll have 5-10 replies within a day or two and have a core group of people "involved". It would still be "your baby" , but you'll need a way to get the word out and such. Trying to sort it all out back and fourth via email can be pretty difficult , and a board-post type "round table discussion" makes for easier batting around of details/ideas/questions. It doesnt have to be a "DGN event" if thats what you mean by "doing it on your own" DGN is here, in part , to help people organize such things and drum up support for however they want to do it.

Then once the details are hammered out a bit more, you can post it around on various email lists and such , and here. I'd probably be willing to help with either of the ideas you mentioned in terms of suggestions on where to promote it, likely places to meetup (if any) and such.

Whatever you decide welcome, hopefully we'll see you around more often. =)

Didn't someone try the goth day at Cedar Point before? Marblez? I could be wrong. Anywhoo, nice to see you here Tresluxe! How was the Bat's Day at Disneyland?? I've thought about flying out there to attend, might as well make the next Disney trip a spooky one! I'm anxious to check out Halloweentown! :)

Hi Tresluxe,

Not to sound rude or anything but, who are you? This is Noah who runs Bats Day in the Fun Park.

I dont have any best friends and if I did have any best friends they would be my girlfriend, who happends to have the same screen name that you happen to choose for this fourm, or my buddy who I dj with all the time.

Sorry if this is coming off rude, but I dont think I am "your best friend".

Noah

WOW!! I have never been met with such a warm reception. The people at city club are so rude!! Well, I wanted to set up a few events of my own. Kinda like a meet and greet if you will. I came to Mich to live with my dad and Branch off from my best friend Noah and make a mark on the "scene" on my own. I would like to have a goth day at Cedar point this fall before they close down for the season. I am intrested in all ares of the scene. I also want to have a goth meet-up at least once a month. Starting in may. So I have time to gather up people who are intrested. I am also looking for a place to hold one of them. Someone suggested " Dave and Buster" in Ann Arbor. I am very eager to get things going through the year. Especially at Halloween, I also am intrested in having a horror film fest at a local college. I look forward to hearing from people who are intrested. My private email is BurlesqueBabe04@yahoo.com

Love,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WOW!! I have never been met with such a warm reception. The people at city club are so rude!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WHAT?

I've been thinking about this since I read it and hours later I think that...

I don't know what City Club you went to so I'm thinking it's has somthing to do with your attitude.

I was working on a book ( I have to restart it, burned all my notes in a drunken rage ) I would walk up to random ppl giving no explanation I would ask them if I could interview them ( sorry if I end up asking you again ). I was very politly turned down once I repeat once. Maby the "my scene is better than yours" tude needs to be droped ppl respond better. I Know I would.

WHAT?

I've been thinking about this since I read it and hours later I think that...

I don't know what City Club you went to so I'm thinking it's has somthing to do with your attitude.

I was working on a book ( I have to restart it, burned all my notes in a drunken rage ) I would walk up to random ppl giving no explanation I would ask them if I could interview them ( sorry if I end up asking you again ). I was very politly turned down once I repeat once. Maby the "my scene is better than yours" tude needs to be droped ppl respond better. I Know I would.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that she might have been talking about the Detroit City Club forum. not the club itself.

I think that she might have been talking about the Detroit City Club forum.  not the club itself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes - I think the forum was being referred to (I've been lurking over there and there were some rude comments directed her way).

Archived