Hello everyone, I'm Reed and I've decided to finally check out the boards!

Last week I had intended to go to the Combichrist/Birthday Massacre show, but found myself lacking in willing accompaniment- That's where you guys come in! I've been edging towards exploring the goth scene for ages, but having nobody to check it out with has left me apprehensive. There are just some things that aren't fun to do alone, eh? I'd love discover a buddy or three that I get along with, who wouldn't mind being a liaison.

I'm a 27 year old guy, living with his partner on the west side. We are in the beginning stages of our urban farm, building our home, and creating a radical lifestyle for ourselves.

So, howdy! I hope everyone had a lovely turkey day, and I'm happy to make your acquaintance!

Greetings and may I officially Welcome you to DGN!

Please feel free to poke around and join in.  And if you should need any assistance, please do not hesitate to let us know.

large.The_white_rabbit_by_Gothic-Inc_112

And...per tradition:

*drum roll*

The DGN (welcome) Questions 2.1 ™ ©
Formerly the "S.D.G.N.W.Q.P.S." The Standard Detroit Gothic . Net Welcome Questions Polls and Suggestions 1.7b

Feel free to ignore anything you feel uncomfortable sharing, dont have the energy for or have covered already. We are just friendly, if a bit nosey. And we ask these same questions fairly often as you may have noticed. laugh.gif 

Current location?
Where from?
Gender?
Work?
School?
Kids?
Married?
Single? 
Hobbies?
How Did You Find / hear about DGN?
How did you pick your DGN name?
Other Stuff?

Additional ideas / questions:

Add yourself to the DGN member map!

If you live close enough, are old enough (18+ for City Club) and/or are ever in town you may want to check out:

"DGN Night"

Or you can find out about other events near your area with the

The Events Calender

Some folk also enjoy our random pot of:

Quizzes & Polls !

How did you hear about DGN? Poll

And we can always use help finding new friendly people. Help us out and drag em on over! 
If you have a website / personal journal link to us! wink.gif

Hello everyone, I'm Reed and I've decided to finally check out the boards!

Last week I had intended to go to the Combichrist/Birthday Massacre show, but found myself lacking in willing accompaniment- That's where you guys come in! I've been edging towards exploring the goth scene for ages, but having nobody to check it out with has left me apprehensive. There are just some things that aren't fun to do alone, eh? I'd love discover a buddy or three that I get along with, who wouldn't mind being a liaison.

I'm a 27 year old guy, living with his partner on the west side. We are in the beginning stages of our urban farm, building our home, and creating a radical lifestyle for ourselves.

So, howdy! I hope everyone had a lovely turkey day, and I'm happy to make your acquaintance!

Hiya!  Welcome to the board reed.  I was excited about that show but had to work :(   I used to go out constantly and grabbed anyone new I met and showed them around and introduced them to everyone I could find.  Last few years I've been sick-ish and broke-ish so things have slowed way down, but I'm trying to change that.  Not sure how realistic it is but I do try. 

The urban farm sounds interesting.  Maybe explain it a bit more in the "domestic home life" section? Pictures?  My good friend paul moved out to a suburban/rual area just so they could have chickens and such, he and his partner have been experimenting with a lot of different things for several years now. 

at any rate welcome to the place again, hope to see more of you.   :)

Greetings and may I officially Welcome you to DGN!

Please feel free to poke around and join in.  And if you should need any assistance, please do not hesitate to let us know.

large.The_white_rabbit_by_Gothic-Inc_112

And...per tradition:

*drum roll*

Current location? West Detroit
Where from? Clinton Twp. (East suburbs)
Gender? Male
Work? A Royal Oak Salon (not as a stylist)
School? Been there, done that, got the fancy paper
Kids? Do future chicken babies count?
Married? No, though committed to a wonderful guy.
Single? No, but happily polyamorous.
Hobbies? Working on the bones of our homestead (it's a fairly new adventure), reading both comics and books, watching cartoons. Once the space is available I intend to pursue my creative interests more.
How Did You Find / hear about DGN? I think I saw some dude on the forums while I was at Trixie's Cafe on Gratiot, absolute ages ago. Checked y'all out but never thought to join til now.
How did you pick your DGN name? Rabbit is the boyfriend's nickname for me, and Reed is my name!
Other Stuff? I've been drawn to the goth aesthetic and community since I was in grade school, and while it has often influenced my personal interest, I have only recently begun to let myself explore my "weirdness" in depth. I'm an evolving Reed!

I apologize, but I'm not entirely sure how to use the forum from my cellphone, and that is currently my only source of Internet while at home. If I make any mistakes in posting or editing, please tell me! Quoting may be a bit beyond me on this tiny screen, however.

Salutations,

🐰

Edited by reedrabbit

Hiya!  Welcome to the board reed.  I was excited about that show but had to work :(   I used to go out constantly and grabbed anyone new I met and showed them around and introduced them to everyone I could find.  Last few years I've been sick-ish and broke-ish so things have slowed way down, but I'm trying to change that.  Not sure how realistic it is but I do try. 

The urban farm sounds interesting.  Maybe explain it a bit more in the "domestic home life" section? Pictures?  My good friend paul moved out to a suburban/rual area just so they could have chickens and such, he and his partner have been experimenting with a lot of different things for several years now. 

at any rate welcome to the place again, hope to see more of you.   :)

I will totally make a post about our homesteading adventure! May have to wait til I'm at a cafe though, writing a full post on my phone seems painful. Thank you, and everybody else, for the warm welcome!

Current location? West DetroitWhere from? Clinton Twp. (East suburbs)
Gender? Male
Work? A Royal Oak Salon (not as a stylist)
School? Been there, done that, got the fancy paper
Kids? Do future chicken babies count?
Married? No, though committed to a wonderful guy.
Single? No, but happily polyamorous.
Hobbies? Working on the bones of our homestead (it's a fairly new adventure), reading both comics and books, watching cartoons. Once the space is available I intend to pursue my creative interests more.
How Did You Find / hear about DGN? I think I saw some dude on the forums while I was at Trixie's Cafe on Gratiot, absolute ages ago. Checked y'all out but never thought to join til now.
How did you pick your DGN name? Rabbit is the boyfriend's nickname for me, and Reed is my name!
Other Stuff? I've been drawn to the goth aesthetic and community since I was in grade school, and while it has often influenced my personal interest, I have only recently begun to let myself explore my "weirdness" in depth. I'm an evolving Reed!

I apologize, but I'm not entirely sure how to use the forum from my cellphone, and that is currently my only source of Internet while at home. If I make any mistakes in posting or editing, please tell me! Quoting may be a bit beyond me on this tiny screen, however.

Salutations,

🐰

I must say, you have done quite the stellar job posting via cellphone.

For some, DGN has been used as a resource center as well as an outlet for thoughts and creativity.

I, myself, do use it as a literary resource...lots of interesting reading and seeing topics from various points of view. 

Hopefully, you will be able to find in what way DGN works for you and explore it.

:biggrin:

Since you are into comics and are interested in learning more about the subculture, you should check out Aurelio Voltaire.  He is sort of a jack of all trades in various forms of art and music.  He has also written a few books about the subculture such as "What is Goth" and "Paint it Black, a guide to decorating for the dark minded."  His music is not what most people expect from a goth artist because it is very comical but I think that's also the appeal.  

Since you are into comics and are interested in learning more about the subculture, you should check out Aurelio Voltaire.  He is sort of a jack of all trades in various forms of art and music.  He has also written a few books about the subculture such as "What is Goth" and "Paint it Black, a guide to decorating for the dark minded."  His music is not what most people expect from a goth artist because it is very comical but I think that's also the appeal.  

Oh Voltaire is delightful, as well as attractive; I actually had the boyfriend listening to him recently. I appreciate anyone who doesn't take themselves too seriously. I wasn't aware he wrote comics though?

Oh Voltaire is delightful, as well as attractive; I actually had the boyfriend listening to him recently. I appreciate anyone who doesn't take themselves too seriously. I wasn't aware he wrote comics though?

He actually teaches stop motion animation in New York and he writes comics such as "Oh My Goth."  He is a great guy.  I met him at a show in Philly back in the day.  We have kept in a touch a bit.  He is not only a great artist and musician, he cares about people a lot.  He actually helped me emotionally through a very difficult divorce.  You have to love famous people who don't let their egos get in the way of being a good person.