Could you perhaps expand on that?

seems to me that it's referring to having reached the point in life where it seems all you can remember is pain, whether it be physical, or the pain of loss/emptiness/loneliness. i've known that point quite well in the past.

also, i'll mention this quote:

"I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars." - Og Mandino
Edited by torn asunder

seems to me that it's referring to having reached the point in life where it seems all you can remember is pain, whether it be physical, or the pain of loss/emptiness/loneliness. i've known that point quite well in the past.

As have I.. But it does matter whether the cause is mental or physical.

As have I.. But it does matter whether the cause is mental or physical.

actually, i don't believe so - chronic pain can be just as debilitating, if not moreso, than emotional pain, and can completely ruin any chance one might have of enjoying any kind of a life. (obviously, i feel emotional trauma can do the same)

out of curiosity, what do you feel are the differences?

I would rather have physical pain then emotional pain.... atleast with physical pain it will heal and eventually go away or can be helped.... emotional stays forever.... takes away your life till you become nothing... you forget how to interact with people. you stop doing your favorite things. You eventually lose who you are......

actually, i don't believe so - chronic pain can be just as debilitating, if not moreso, than emotional pain, and can completely ruin any chance one might have of enjoying any kind of a life. (obviously, i feel emotional trauma can do the same)

out of curiosity, what do you feel are the differences?

...sometimes...there is no difference...I tried to tell this to Doctors in te 80s...I just did not have enough words in my arsenal......if the emotional pain is great enough, it will 'leak out' of your joints, & tighten your muscles till they burn.

...sometimes...there is no difference...I tried to tell this to Doctors in te 80s...I just did not have enough words in my arsenal......if the emotional pain is great enough, it will 'leak out' of your joints, & tighten your muscles till they burn.

i agree - it can also work the other way too - i've had back pain of some sort constantly for many, many years. literally the only time i don't feel any pain, and feel like i think i should, is when i've had an injury & get to take vicoden, or hyrdocodone, (or have had some *really good* sex!) or some such. motrin, tylenol, advil, etc. does nothing for it, and after a while it just taints everything in your life with *suck*... i fully empathize with house's vicoden "addiction", although... no, i won't go there, it'll open another can of worms! :p

i agree - it can also work the other way too - i've had back pain of some sort constantly for many, many years. literally the only time i don't feel any pain, and feel like i think i should, is when i've had an injury & get to take vicoden, or hyrdocodone, (or have had some *really good* sex!) or some such. motrin, tylenol, advil, etc. does nothing for it, and after a while it just taints everything in your life with *suck*... i fully empathize with house's vicoden "addiction", although... no, i won't go there, it'll open another can of worms! :p

Yes...I have noticed, on a really good day for my head; that when my back or neck becomes reticently misaligned that my chipperness will indeed fade.

(edit to ask: is there an award for understatements?^^^

Edited by Rev.Reverence

also, i'll mention this quote:

youve spotted very well, life has a weird way of showing us were alive,i ve come to a point were nothing triggers my feelings anymore, if i still have something like that . i noticed that to keep ur feelings and emotions locked away is a much easier than to have them revealed, i wasnt realy refering to physical pain as we all now when that blades cuts through ur flesh it hurts like hell but somehow its the only thing /feeling reminding u that ur alive.

Sometimes negative emotions can get so powerful that it completely distorts your perception of reality and all the positive things you might have experienced in the past...it becomes your whole universe.

so true the mind is our battlefield and when negative emotions over power the positive ones then, as you said your whole world changes, and reality becomes a lie

I was wondering too, are you talking about emotional or physical or both kinds of pain?

it can be linked to both kinds of pain as emotionaly you get so worn out by negative emotions that after a while you so use to the pain it doesnt even move ur feelings anymore, well physically u can also get so used to pain u wont even feel it anymore it will thke alot more to reach that point of fullness but ul get there.

if u dont know any other feeling , u dont feel anything else but pain, tou just grow on that feeling u endure it,

I will go on the "old leather jacket" sensation.

When all you experience is one thing (pain, hatred, love, etc.) for too long, when we are put in situations that we aren't exposed to that one thing, it makes us uneasy and we feel out of our element. We don't know how to act. That one thing, no matter how detrimental to our well-being, gives us comfort, like the old leather jacket. It may be worn, it may not protect you against the elements, the spikes (if you like those type of jackets,) may dig into you to the point of bleeding, but after breaking it in and having it for so long, it just feels emotionally comfortable.

The problem is to abandon the old jacket, and try that new one, or make the best effort to put some distance between you and said old jacket.

• 2 weeks later...

youve spotted very well, life has a weird way of showing us were alive,i ve come to a point were nothing triggers my feelings anymore, if i still have something like that . i noticed that to keep ur feelings and emotions locked away is a much easier than to have them revealed, i wasnt realy refering to physical pain as we all now when that blades cuts through ur flesh it hurts like hell but somehow its the only thing /feeling reminding u that ur alive.

I personally don't think locking one's emotions away is any easier than revealing them. One can put just as much effort in staying entombed within oneself as letting it all out and actually getting to experience all the beauty Life is.

And if one slips into a bog of nothingness, I don't believe that cutting one's self, or hurting oneself is the only way to feel something. Even when life is full of dookie, it is our responsibility to experience something good for ourselves. We are not helpless victims in our lives. Sometimes we don't have control, sure, but we need to take control where we can.

Pain is about perception. When we can change the way we think about something, we can change the way we feel. This involves all avenues of pain.

And I agree with the "old leather jacket" StormKnight.