Obamacare & The Individual Mandate

This type of stuff here I really don't like but apparentl it is common:

John Q. Barrett, a law professor at St. John’s University and biographer of the late Justice Robert Jackson, a favorite Roberts role model, dismissed the conspiracy theories. The ruling was a classic example of a cautious Chief Justice at work, he said. “I think that chiefs feel, for the public credibility and independence of the court, that major legislation should not be struck down on a 5-to-4 vote on grounds that Congress lacks the power. It hasn’t happened in the modern era — since the 1930s. John Roberts will likely be Chief Justice for many, many more years, and it’s not surprising to me that he wasn’t looking to define his court stewardship with a radical decision. The opposite ruling would have been a deeply, permanently controversial landmark.”

I really wish that sort of stuff wasn't relevant, but it almost always seems to come into play even if the justices don't acknowledge it in their opinions.

Ugh god dangit, the internet hate the rest of my homework....

what we really need is single-payer. Now.

while the insurance industry reforms that Obamacare brought in (and that's all the Affordable Care Act did - the government didn't take over ANY actual health-care services) will help keep millions of people from getting forcibly sodomized by for-profit insurance companies, it's not a real solution.

what we really need is single-payer. Now.

while the insurance industry reforms that Obamacare brought in (and that's all the Affordable Care Act did - the government didn't take over ANY actual health-care services) will help keep millions of people from getting forcibly sodomized by for-profit insurance companies, it's not a real solution.

I hadn't heard the term "single payer" before. I assume we aer talking about "universal health care" just a specific flavor of it, from what I'm reading?

"real" universal health care I think is probably not in the cards for at least another few terms. It doesn't seem popular enough. Although Obama seems so "close" to it, that if it goes through and isn't a fiasco, the sell to "Affordable Care" to "Universal Care" I think will be an easy one.

Assuming the Individual mandate part goes through, (that is, its passed through the court system fully, but still could be challenged again) that is , you have to buy health insurance or pay a penalty (tax) through a state-run fund. Starting sometime in 2014.

Odd part about that was Obama went way out of his way to say that it WASNT a tax, and then it was characterized and passed, exactly because it was considered a tax, and thus , the theory goes, something that falls within the governments right to tax (as opposed to compelling commerce, which also theoretically, its not supposed to do). Some serious semantic wizardry at work there.

I hadn't heard the term "single payer" before. I assume we aer talking about "universal health care" just a specific flavor of it, from what I'm reading?

"real" universal health care I think is probably not in the cards for at least another few terms. It doesn't seem popular enough. Although Obama seems so "close" to it, that if it goes through and isn't a fiasco, the sell to "Affordable Care" to "Universal Care" I think will be an easy one.

yeah, it's what Canada does.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds good. I don't know the history of it, but I've read on Russia Today that Canada has less financial inequality and a higher standard of living than US does now.

It has been dropping as the current government has been gradually "Americanizing" us.

I don't at all consider myself anti-American, which I feel has to be repeated if you want to make constructive criticism about this country, but that does suck.

I am not anti-American either. I love the country. I love its history. Being so close to the USA has had a huge effect on Canadian culture as well, so being anti-American makes you at least semi anti-Canadian.

I dislike what has happened to your government, your policies, and so on. However I still love the USA.

When I say "Americanize" in quotes, it is because I am using a term that gets thrown around a lot. America is far from being America anymore, so the term is actually incorrect. What I mean is our current government is Neo-Con and follows the same far-right religious based ideas, steeped in Randian ideology.