my understanding was always that these two were *freakin' kids*, like 8-10yrs old... why the hell does everyone want to marry them off!? :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

my understanding was always that these two were *freakin' kids*, like 8-10yrs old... why the hell does everyone want to marry them off!? :blink:

As a kid I thought that Bert was as old as my dad and Ernie was grown up teen.

As an adult I though "Hmm two men living together for decades and never having a girlfriend, I wonder what they are implying?"

Add both of those thoughts together and ya get NAMBLA.

Edited by Vater Araignee

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

while you're at it, find out how you can help Bert and Ernie get married:

http://www.theglobea...article2125864/

It seems to me that the sole basis of the "Bert and Ernie are homosexuals" hypothesis is the fact that they live together and sleep in the same bedroom. I spent about 5 years of my adult life sleeping in the same room with various male room mates. Would that lead you to assume that I must be gay? Could it be that perhaps what Children's Television Workshop was trying to do was teach children that even people with opposite personalities can learn to get along and be best friends? To me, this smacks of the "Pink Lincoln" debacle in which people claimed that Abraham Lincoln was gay because he would sleep in the same bed with male friends when traveling. Actual historians came back with the fact that this was common practice for the time, due to limited space at inns and for fiscal reasons. Take a look at photos of WWII-era men and their friends. You'll see a lot of hand-holding and arms around each other. This isn't evidence of homosexuality; it's simply how people posed for photos back then. When we stop pointing out the slightest hint of non-heterosexuality and giggling, "Oooooooh look! So gay! Tee hee!" then we can perhaps begin growing the fuck up as a culture. Some people are straight, some people are gay, some people are bi, and some people are transgendered. Get over it.

NOTE: This is not aimed at you specifically, Simon. The post just brought up a pet peeve of mine. :wink

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...