DROID X vs iPHONE 4

So I need to get a new phone, that I can sync with my Outlook at work including, Contacts, Calendar and email. I am not on an exchange server. That has a full HTML browser. A camera with flash. I believe the only options I have are the DROID X and iPhone 4 with Verizon. If anyone is experienced with either product or another that would meet my needs can you please share the info? Pros and cons, please?

My husband has the Droid and he loves it. I have to say I am pretty impressed with the things it can do. We've used it as a speedometer and metal detector, which I thought was pretty unexpected. I personally want an iphone because I already have an itouch now so I already know how to use it and I have a Mac which I think will sync better with an iphone. I think that it would be a matter of personal preference. I would say go to the store and play around with both and see what you like. Also, I'm sure you can find product reviews that could help.

I have an Iphone 3g and love it, they usually release a new Iphone every year in late June early July so I'm planning to wait and see before I upgrade. Syncing iphones with outlook is very simple through Itunes. Unfortunately IOS doesn't allow flash so depending on what your trying to access online that might be a problem for you. You should be able to sync any Android phone (not just the droid) and any of the new windows 7 phones so you might want to check them out to. I've never actually owned either though so I can't be 100% positive.

Never understood any of it - it just all seems so...consumerist...to me.

How so? Its similar to shopping for a new wagon or a new horse or some other tool no? You'd want to do your homework before you buy right? Unless we are going to build all our own tools from scratch, new stuff, unfortunately would need to be factored in when your going to drop resources on a new tool.

Not trying to rub ya the wrong way, I'm just not sure what you mean.

I was actually looking for the exact same features awhile back. There are actually a lot of phones with outlook synch and flash cameras nowadays, "no flash" is often listed as a negative.

Rather than just "uncle billy had one and he liked it" i tend to try and find actual reviews and such. In the end i just couldn't justify the cost as i really didnt NEED a new phone (and didn't want to pay for the internet access, which, would render the whole smartphone thing pointless) another feature i was worried about is that all these things seem to start to run like crap after awhile once you have a bunch of apps running.

To make a long story short, both Cnet.com (main place i go for electronics reviews) and ZD Net suggested:

Video Review:

My link at Cnet

and more detailed review at ZD net:

Very Well Done Breakdown.

Interesting how he lists off twelve points comparing Iphone 4 based stuff vs Droid point by point.

Then I blinked and X came out (dont blink while your at the store or on the phone as there will be a new phone out every 15 seconds)

X vs Incredible... just goofy.

http://reviews.cnet.com/2722-6452_7-717.html

But with the pace (and huge range of choices) some of this might be irrelevant even by the time you read it as each company keeps coming out with updates.

Cnet Keeps its "best 5 phones" lists updated constantly, not they aren't in rank-order they are just "the best 5 phones". Notice often "newest" doesnt = best. Cnet is known for weighing things like "appearance" a bit more highly than other places and thus often has (slightly) conflicting reviews from more tech-only focused places.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-cell-phones/

Notice depending on who you talk to the opinions vary widely. Myself i just have a fairly budget Samsung phone.

In the end though , unless your anal about details there are many choices and you really have to ask how the particular phone works with a particular carrier and the pacticular plan you end up with. Usually I'm more Bob Barker than Steve Jobs.

Thank you Troy for all the information, I have been doing my research but product testing isn’t exactly real life testing. I like to get the opinions of those around me that have had dealings with either or both as well as all the information already provided from product testing and specs online.

In all honestly I’m not a fan of change. If I find something I like I don’t change it unless I have to. That is the case with the phone. I had an LG envy touch, and loved it though many other people I know that have one hate it, It was simple and would do everything I asked of it. However starting the new job last year made more demands on my poor little LG so I then got a BB. I had the BB for a millisecond and hated it. It was a perfectly good phone and did most of the things I need for work but it was so different from what I was used to, I just couldn't get used to it.

I basically need a personal assistant that I can train to do everything I need it to do quickly, easily and without complaint. I travel for work and pleasure quite a bit and need access to certain things on my system at work without any arguments. I have to be able to open modify and save (back to my network) many different kinds of documents. So far the Droid is trainable and seems to be able to handle everything I’ve asked of it to do. I have 14 days to play with it before making my final choice. I will likely switch to the iPhone in about a week just to test run it and then decided which one will be the best phone for what I need.

THank you again for all your research though, it has been most helpful!!!

What I don't understand is wrangling yourself into a contract so that your expensive all in one toy still works.

Give me a digi cam, a netbook, a cellphone that is only a telephone with a tether and a free dial-up isp.

That way I can take pictures and see them on a bigger screen.

dial up the internet if I cant get free wifi.

use all of my sd chips without pulling a battery to switch them. Yeah that's right I haven't handled every cell, just enough to know that it is the norm.

buy accessories like a usb gps that go with me when I upgrade.

Then again I also threw my first and only cellphone off the top of the Maynard Street Parking garage 4 days after getting it and never got another. I hate telephone chit chat and it is even worse in public.