I got a divorce, and never used an attorney (of course we weren't fighting). Are there children involved? Usually unless there's lots of money and property to be divided (other than children), there's not much need for an attorney.

Here's a book for you to check out... 51rZJAY7fyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg There is a book "Divorce with minor children" and Divorce without minor children.

It has all the forms you can fill out and all the information you need from start to finish. I used it when I got a divorce, and I used to recommend it to all the people that used to ask about pre-set forms when I worked at the court clerk's office in both Oakland County and Washtenaw County, they are very helpful.

To file a court case, it costs about $150.00 (to start with your "Summons and Complaint" for Divorce).. Seriously, it's not too difficult. Sorry, for whom-ever is having to go through all this, it's definitely not fun. But at least you know you can do it yourself.

I too went this route. There was no fighting on who gets what so it was 150 for court fees and another 45 to send to Lansing for the proper paper work. It was in and out. Took about two months from the time it was filed till ther judge said your divorced.

My sister found a low-cost paralegal who filed all of her paperwork for $150 and the court waived her filing fee because she had no income at all. Even if you do the paperwork yourself, find out about getting a discount on the filing fee too. I spent a couple a thousand dollars for nothing because my divorce still took forever, I would never recommend the attorney I used to anyone.