a new poll for a private social goth club

d:konstruct

Nah...the scene is pretty small (At least the goth scene)... Although like I said, I hope it works out for you. What type of crowd are you trying to pull BTW? Goth kids or EBM folks? both are cool IMO, I just know that usually they dont go well together.

My posts might seem sarcastic but I dont mean them to be, im being genuine. If there is one thing I have learned, its that you cant please people in Detroit. I know that in my opinion, having it be private and not be at a legit bar with bring your own booze and all that, is way to cloak and dagger for me. I cant risk getting in any trouble and I would feel uncomfortable. Hell, I am worried about going to a "Something Cold" event for the same reason, and im supposed to guest DJ there soon... especially if you are going to let people that are under 21 in (which I dunno if you would or not, but making something 21+ will affect your turn out as well, believe it or not).If it works out, awesome. If things actually get in motion, im sure I will give it a go at least once.

The legal grounds for a "private social club" gathering is pretty much the same ground to the law as having friends over inside of your house for a beer. If its a legit place with a lease rented or owned by you, the police won't give you any trouble.

All of the venues that Something Cold have operated out of (outside of bars) are legally listed as private clubs or residence. The Russell Industrial Center's lofts are private residence. The CAID was raided a few years ago during Funk Night and the ACLU chewed the Detroit Police Dept a new asshole and had all of the charges dropped. The police raided the place and aside from MIP's never found any drugs or illegal activity. The CAID (which is where SC is held at a majority of the time) will never be raided again. You don't shit in the same bed twice. ;)

Depends on the people...

Unfortunately, when all else fails, regression to the lowest common denominator happens. Expecting that to happen and it doesn't is a pleasant surprise. Expecting the best and the lowest common denominator happening is legal and physical nightmare.

Been security long enough to realize that. A night without asshatery is what they look forward to. Unfortunately, the more people in the club, the more likely asshatery will rear its head.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, we have found a place to host events, a goth night, movies, etc. It is a large warehouse owned by one of our Collective people in the Hamtramik area off of 94.

I assume this never ended up working out?

(just quoted the topic more so the more recent posts above might get a response, some people that aren't on that much don't even realize they have replies as by default the board doesn't notify you of a reply unless its quoted... hrmm maybe that should change. /ponders

I am still looking for the right place. The lady that runs the warehouse never got back with me. It is hard to find reliable people in Detroit. But mark my words, I will find a place eventually even if I have to open a bar myself![

quote name='Troy Spiral' timestamp='1342294537' post='750197']

(just quoted the topic more so the more recent posts above might get a response, some people that aren't on that much don't even realize they have replies as by default the board doesn't notify you of a reply unless its quoted... hrmm maybe that should change. /ponders

Raven and I have a warehouse that is on 8 Mile and Van Dyke where we are going to be able to hold events and shows for the goth community that is HUGE, will most likely allow alcohol (still waiting back on that, but it didn't sound like a problem), and the owner is only looking to break even.

Just throwing hints out there, because I don't like to announce anything unless its absolutely imminent.

Edited by Chernobyl

I am still looking for the right place. The lady that runs the warehouse never got back with me. It is hard to find reliable people in Detroit. But mark my words, I will find a place eventually even if I have to open a bar myself![

quote name='Troy Spiral' timestamp='1342294537' post='750197']

Would it be possible for there to be Asian style Karaoke there. I would pay through the nose to find a Karaoke Box place closer than Farmington. Since that style of Karaoke has individual rooms, no one has to be embarrassed. It's just you and whomever you bring with you. Karaoke Boxes are pay by the hour (in Japan it was pay by the head per hour). If you have several venues of things going on, Karaoke Boxes would help to generate extra revenue. (just a thought)

TTFN

I wouldn't have a problem with that at all. eventually, when I get through this MBA program and come up with the money, I have decided to find a nice piece of property and make it the club I've always wanted. It will be a few years down the road but it's gonna happen.

Since I have a strong taste for Asian flair (and some of you know what that means), I would be happy to add something like that. I'm even planning on running a dojo in the same building, perhaps a cafe by day. It will be an investment. I already have a willing crew of people, resources, etc, it's now about finding the right property.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't have a problem with that at all. eventually, when I get through this MBA program and come up with the money, I have decided to find a nice piece of property and make it the club I've always wanted. It will be a few years down the road but it's gonna happen.

Since I have a strong taste for Asian flair (and some of you know what that means), I would be happy to add something like that. I'm even planning on running a dojo in the same building, perhaps a cafe by day. It will be an investment. I already have a willing crew of people, resources, etc, it's now about finding the right property.

If you do not end up finding a place in downtown Detroit, I do hope it is close enough for, oh say myself being a Detroiter, to get to reasonably...Just throwing that out there...:whistle: