• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive actually been a part of the gothic/industrial scene for the better part of a decade and yes i wear black on a usual basis but black does not really define the genre what is usually called the normal society has put black clothes and goths in the same view but i know quite a few friends that are into the scene but hardly ever wear black me i like the music and the people i know and formed long standing friendships with since i joined the scene

I bailed out of Detroit's goth scene long time ago but more because of what it was turning into.

But I still love Sex Gang Children, Virgin Prunes, March Violets, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, 45 Grave, Christian Death, Gun Club, Tex & The Horseheads, Flesh Eaters, Theatre Of Hate, Specimen, Death In June, Current 93, 90s Projekt and Tess artists etc...

And I do dig the newer and current bands like Cinema Strange/Deadfly Ensemble, Fangs On Fur, Subtonix, Zola Jesus, Blessure Grave, KASMS, Blank Dogs, and O Children.

you forgot carfax abbey they are pretty good to especially the remake they did of cry little sister from the lost boys soundtrack excellent song :thumbsup:

I agree there is no age limit. I know what I am about to say, might sound corny. Yet, it not. So many people, had great views and they shared it, with passion, vigor and love. To me, that is beautiful! That type of passion is what help keeps the Goth community alive. It the type of passion, that helps people come out of Gothic coffin. Even though I am introvert (that is with everything in life), I am proud to be Goth Gal.

I agree there is no age limit. I know what I am about to say, might sound corny. Yet, it not. So many people, had great views and they shared it, with passion, vigor and love. To me, that is beautiful! That type of passion is what help keeps the Goth community alive. It the type of passion, that helps people come out of Gothic coffin. Even though I am introvert (that is with everything in life), I am proud to be Goth Gal.

PREACH IT SISTER!!!! LOL I'm proud too! :unworthy:

• 3 weeks later...

I came into the scene in 1996 even though as a kid I was always hanging out in a cemetery in the back of our neighborhood, staying up late to watch the horror movies when my mom told me I needed to be in bed, and later on found that I picked black clothes alot when we went shopping. Maybe I don't dress up as often as I used to (and I lost my damn hat!), but I still love all the music and lifestyle as I always have. And being that I own an old caddy hearse, I am automatically given infinite goth and manly points for it! :p Either that, my upcoming career is going to be scraping people up off the side of the road :D

There is no age limit on being yourself, whoever you are.

There is such a thing as being age appropriate when it comes to behavior, lifestyle, dress and decorum. You don't have to be age appropriate, but if you're not you run the risk of looking like an idiot. Not implying that applies to anyone here, just saying...

I may be ripping on and praising this thread at the same.

The whole question raised here seems like something for a 16-year old's journal.

Which may in turn simply be a criticism of Vampoholic's cousin.

I don't claim to be goth or cool or different or weird or dark or a nerd, for that matter

(although at some time or another those have been used to describe me by different people--mostly "weird")

But I'm me. I like the music I like and I think black is the best color on the planet (as does ungoth country singer Johnny Cash)

I do what makes me happy and I surround myself with people that are by and large genuine. regardless of their preferences.

My ex thinks I'm a child for having hundreds of CDs and movies

(and I'd have more if 90% of my paycheck didn't go her) and my co-workers laughed and looked down on me when I told them I dressed up as the Bear Jew and nearly broke my arm at Manfast.

Yet in contrast to my co workers and my ex,I didn't come into work with a hangover on July 5th due to getting wasted in front of family on the 4th, and I didn't cheat on bean with middle aged men,

so I'm not quite sure who the immature one is and who REALLY needs to grow up

I understand that at some point we all have to be an adult and have responsibilities.

We have to work. We have to look out for our friends and our family.

I just don't see how turning in your personality, and becoming a conformist zombie is a required rite of passage to growing up.

And if that, and my musical and clothing choices makes me a goth, so be it.

There is no age limit on being yourself, whoever you are.

There is such a thing as being age appropriate when it comes to behavior, lifestyle, dress and decorum. You don't have to be age appropriate, but if you're not you run the risk of looking like an idiot. Not implying that applies to anyone here, just saying...

I agree with you 100%

Edited by bean

Growing up doesn't mean getting married, having brats and a white-picket fence home, working an office job, or becoming Stepford or Ward & June Cleaver.

What it does mean is that in your adult life you're able to handle your business, be a responsible individual, take care of yourself good and proper, and maintain some decorum and civility when dealing with your fellow man.

One can remain true-to-form with their philosophies, world views, ideals, sense of aesthetics,lifestyles, interests, fascinations, preoccupations, obsessions, indulgences, tastes and wants that may be on the fringe or subcultural and still be a grown-up.

Of course, if some things seem daft or tacky on an adult that's because they were already daft when younger. :wink

Most of the people I know around my age still look interesting and have interesting lives and still have their bills and payments taken care of.

If you're true to yourself and genuine about the things you're into while remaining a productive, responsible person then squares be damned.

I came into the scene in 1996 even though as a kid I was always hanging out in a cemetery in the back of our neighborhood, staying up late to watch the horror movies when my mom told me I needed to be in bed, and later on found that I picked black clothes alot when we went shopping. Maybe I don't dress up as often as I used to (and I lost my damn hat!), but I still love all the music and lifestyle as I always have. And being that I own an old caddy hearse, I am automatically given infinite goth and manly points for it! :p Either that, my upcoming career is going to be scraping people up off the side of the road :D

oooo.....can I scrape ppl up with u?! Lol. I really wish I could afford hearse, and have it fixed up. It would have to be all black, of course, with skull decals, and maybe even a couple pentegrams. And I would put a bed in the back, u know, just in case I get "sleepy". lmfao

Growing up doesn't mean getting married, having brats and a white-picket fence home, working an office job, or becoming Stepford or Ward & June Cleaver.

What it does mean is that in your adult life you're able to handle your business, be a responsible individual, take care of yourself good and proper, and maintain some decorum and civility when dealing with your fellow man.

One can remain true-to-form with their philosophies, world views, ideals, sense of aesthetics,lifestyles, interests, fascinations, preoccupations, obsessions, indulgences, tastes and wants that may be on the fringe or subcultural and still be a grown-up.

Of course, if some things seem daft or tacky on an adult that's because they were already daft when younger. :wink

Most of the people I know around my age still look interesting and have interesting lives and still have their bills and payments taken care of.

If you're true to yourself and genuine about the things you're into while remaining a productive, responsible person then squares be damned.

Luvz ya' Joey!...thought I should reiterate that...

Edited by Rev.Reverence

:heart:

Best answer yet...

:heart:

Best answer yet...

:yes Definitely one of the better posts I've read, anywhere on here.

In particular: