What exactly is wrong with being conservative?

On 8/26/2023 at 5:13 PM, Destroit said:

Yup, caring about immigration imo is inherently racist because you don't see anyone trying to stop people from Europe or Canada coming here, just from places where people are black or brown...JUST sayin

Exactly. And people may not agree with me but this land isn’t ours to begin with. It was stolen. 

3 hours ago, KatRN05 said:

Exactly. And people may not agree with me but this land isn’t ours to begin with. It was stolen. 

Stolen / manifest destiny

tomato / tomato

But yes, it was stolen, just like the Jews have done to Isr I mean Palestine, England has done to Northern Ireland, and what Russia is trying to do to Ukraine, and what China wants to do to... everyone and has already done to Tibet.

The question is where would you have us all go though?  We can't go back "home", we weren't born there and they wouldn't have us all.  Even some of the partly native people here wouldn't be accepted in some of the tribes so they're pretty SOL too.

Also if it can be stolen that means it is property and that makes Henry George cry along with a bunch of communists.  Not that I'm against that at all.

Counterpoint:
"Now, I don't care to discuss the alleged complaints American Indians have against this country. I believe, with good reason, the most unsympathetic Hollywood portrayal of Indians and what they did to the white man. They had no right to a country merely because they were born here and then acted like savages. The white man did not conquer this country. And you're a racist if you object, because it means you believe that certain men are entitled to something because of their race. You believe that if someone is born in a magnificent country and doesn't know what to do with it, he still has a property right to it. He does not. Since the Indians did not have the concept of property or property rights--they didn't have a settled society, they had predominantly nomadic tribal "cultures"--they didn't have rights to the land, and there was no reason for anyone to grant them rights that they had not conceived of and were not using. It's wrong to attack a country that respects (or even tries to respect) individual rights. If you do, you're an aggressor and are morally wrong. But if a "country" does not protect rights--if a group of tribesmen are the slaves of their tribal chief--why should you respect the "rights" that they don't have or respect? The same is true for a dictatorship. The citizens in it have individual rights, but the country has no rights and so anyone has the right to invade it, because rights are not recognized in that country; and no individual or country can have its cake and eat it too--that is, you can't claim one should respect the "rights" of Indians, when they had no concept of rights and no respect for rights. But let's suppose they were all beautifully innocent savages--which they certainly were not. What were they fighting for, in opposing the white man on this continent? For their wish to continue a primitive existence; for their "right" to keep part of the earth untouched--to keep everybody out so they could live like animals or cavemen. Any European who brought with him an element of civilization had the right to take over this continent, and it's great that some of them did. The racist Indians today--those who condemn America--do not respect individual rights." -- Ayn Rand Q. and A. session following her address to the graduating class of the United States military academy at West Point, New York, March 6, 1974

Not sure she's right, but she does make a compelling argument about rights.  I want her to be wrong, but I also realize that logic wins out over my feelings.

There are still large tracts of land that we as a country are not using.  I think we should just give them all of Oklahoma to do whatever they want with (along with keeping whatever reservations that currently exist and maybe expand those out as well.) Then just learn to live together in harmony until they develop better technology and attack us in around 2150.

• 2 weeks later...

There needs to be more guns.  An armed society is a polite society and people are way less brazen if they think you/your friends may be armed.  It's always been safer to travel in a group as well.

It doesn't cease to amaze me though how no one seems to hate the homeless more than people who were formerly homeless.  My old friend Ava absolutely hates them because she was in shelters and group homes where other homeless would attack her and steal her things.  When you have next to nothing what little you do have means everything, almost like it does in prison.

Either that or maybe the other homeless are a reminder of that hard time in their lives.  In any case you'd think that they'd have more empathy.  Instead it seems to be "fuck you, got mine." Yes, good for them for getting out of the muck, but that's like being an immigrant who became a US citizen and then votes to close the door behind them.

You can't really blame anyone for trying to survive at those lower rungs of society.  It's the rich fucks that piss me off who have more than they need.  They give nothing back to the community other than maybe they donate to the church or fund public programs that are just bandaids to the larger issues but that are great for optics.

2 hours ago, gwen said:

see that's just it

you look at the tax table and it's absolutely ridiculous!

you finally start to do well

maybe enough to start your own business?

nope

now you get taxed the hell out of!

compare it

percent wise to the rich

even super rich

they don't pay near as much!

is there a trickle down effect

hiring more ppl with it?

nope

you got Martha Stewart getting high with snoop dog

dodging taxes.

putting money in banks over seas...

Yes, and the liberals want to tax the hell out of you like Taking half your wealth is the answer to not taking even a percent of a percent of theirs.

I am very much fiscally conservative and believe that taxation IS theft.  However, those who gain obscene amounts of wealth without giving anything back deserve to have it stolen either by the government or some other means.  When I say eat the rich, I don't mean eat.