Probable Swine Flu In Michigan

Swine flu responds to drugs, and people are paying attention. There was a flu pandemic in 1957-58, and another pandemic in 1968-69. We don't remember those pandemics because the public health infrastructure worked.

There was a swine flu outbreak in 1976. 40 million Americans were immunized against it. Because so many people were immunized, it died out, and we remember the people that died from the vaccine, which was around 250 people, more than we remember the outbreak.

Don't freak out about swine flu. Wash your hands. If you are really worried, wear a mask.

It's cool.

Swine flu responds to drugs, and people are paying attention. There was a flu pandemic in 1957-58, and another pandemic in 1968-69. We don't remember those pandemics because the public health infrastructure worked.

There was a swine flu outbreak in 1976. 40 million Americans were immunized against it. Because so many people were immunized, it died out, and we remember the people that died from the vaccine, which was around 250 people, more than we remember the outbreak.

Don't freak out about swine flu. Wash your hands. If you are really worried, wear a mask.

It's cool.

Thank you!

These media fuck-wads keep the populous SO hopped up on stress...that most of you reading this are on pills for stress or anxiety or more...it's them...it's their constant cover-n-shuffle routine...remember when it was the dreaded flesh eating bacteria? I did not know 1 person who was directly effected (affected?)......remember "bird-flu"....what the fuck ever happened to the "mad-cow"????

These things have ALWAYS been around...we just named & cataloged them...they WILL outlast our pitifully short stay on this planet...they will not kill ALL of us...only the week should fear...but then what is there to fear in death? "NOTHING!" so say the sages. ;)Dig-it?

It's cool.

it died out because it was contained to Fort Dix where it killed 1 person... only about 25-30 people died from the vaccine, not 250.

You know why so many people died in 1918? (Some where around 50 million died from it) The government and Wilson's refusal to talk about it or when they did, they down played it. Back then, it was 20 years in prison to talk bad about the President and 15 years for talking bad about the government. So anyone that dared say "I don't think you are responding to the correctly." was put in jail.

I suppose I might as well bite.

Are you suggesting that the Obama administration will respond to the current influenza outbreak in the same way that Woodrow Wilson responded to his outbreak?

Otherwise, you are simply looking for things to bitch about.

Gaf, you have an uncanny ability to take non-political issues and turn them into a way to bash anyone with a "D" by their name.

To be honest, I wasn't sure if Wilson was a Democrat or a Republican. I brought him up because he made the situation far worse by down playing it. The fact that Wilson was a Democrat does not in anyway change the fact that he was the closest thing this country has ever had to a tyrant.

To be honest, I wasn't sure if Wilson was a Democrat or a Republican. I brought him up because he made the situation far worse by down playing it. The fact that Wilson was a Democrat does not in anyway change the fact that he was the closest thing this country has ever had to a tyrant.

But ya gotta love a guy named Woody.

I suppose I might as well bite.

Are you suggesting that the Obama administration will respond to the current influenza outbreak in the same way that Woodrow Wilson responded to his outbreak?

Otherwise, you are simply looking for things to bitch about.

I think they already are. We are doing nothing right now to contain it before it gets bad.

36,000 Americans die from the regular flu every year. Every person accusing the Obama administration of negligence has no concept of epidemiology as it is practiced today.

We have about 300 people in America infected with swine flu. That is a fraction of a per cent of a per cent of the American population. All 300 of those folks are being treated.

Are you honestly comparing the 1918 influenza pandemic to 300 people undergoing modern medical treatment?

36,000 Americans die from the regular flu every year. All 300 of those folks are being treated.

Are you honestly comparing the 1918 influenza pandemic to 300 people undergoing modern medical treatment?

THAT'S the the stuff I was sayin'...there is NO NEED TO WORRY!

Kick back & take a load off peoples! It is a flu...nit the HIV.

Edited by Rev.Reverence

1. According the the CDC, the first person has died in Texas today from swine flu.

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/

2. My boyfriend had to take his mom to the hospital last night for chest pain and she sat in the waiting room for something like 2 hours because the waiting room was full of people who thought they might have swine flu. That's right, these people went to the hospital emergency room for a FLU TEST! *grumbles about people who complain about the outrageous costs of healthcare in this country* :rant:

Honestly, if you suspect you have the disease, unless you are experiencing respiratory failure, then see your physician, as soon as possible. Going to the emergency room just clogs up the works for the people who actually are having an emergency, and makes you more likely to contract something worse from the hospital.

36,000 Americans die from the regular flu every year. Every person accusing the Obama administration of negligence has no concept of epidemiology as it is practiced today.

We have about 300 people in America infected with swine flu. That is a fraction of a per cent of a per cent of the American population. All 300 of those folks are being treated.

When did anyone say anything about Obama being negligent? Or even hint at it? I only said that down playing it too much will cause more death than a reasonable and open response would.

BTW... Most people are comparing this outbreak to 1918. It's a variant of the same strain of flu virus. It has a high mortality rate and is airborne. The majority of people that died in 1918 did so because the government refused to talk to the people about it or mount an appropriate response.

I don;t want people to panic but I dont want them to under react either.