Exotic Invertebrates, True Spiders, and Tarantulas

Does anyone else here have an interest in true spiders, tarantulas, solfugids, and mantids?

Calling all bug freeks!! :D

I need to find a good, CLOSE, REPUTABLE breeder! Who has s'lings or nymphs to sell or trade for???

On my wishlish are: Phidippus audax (I need two mature females, I have an immature male already, as you can see), Phidippus regius (mature female and male), Lyssomanes viridis (mature female and male), Avicularia versicolor (spiderling, doesn't have to be sexed), Peucetia viridans (mature female), and Metasolpuga picta (mature female).

If ANYONE has these critters, I would love to get together and talk pidgin!!!

I hope I'm not the only spider-lover here!

post-1079-1209324169_thumb.jpg

Edited by jynxxxedangel

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know of a shop in Gibraltar Trade Center in Taylor. He carries spiders among other thngs. He even had a cave spider and a giant bird eater. It's called M.C. Exotics. the number is 1-734-287-6020. He can even get some rare breeds of spiders.

Edited by Draco1958

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, now I have to confess that I am one of those weird people who doesn't swim in lakes or oceans.

I am deathly afraid of sharing water with things that are not people!!

On the other hand, I have one new spider already, and two new ones being shipped from California. I am also getting a mantis, a female Pseudoharpax virescens, with that shipment.

The cricket raising is going ok, so far..I still say crickets are SO gross!!! I would rather lay in a vat full of spiders, than one full of crickets!

Ok, now I have to confess that I am one of those weird people who doesn't swim in lakes or oceans.

Oh my dear, we can remedy that.

Start with the DGN camping trip?

:stuart:

On the other hand, I have one new spider already, and two new ones being shipped from California. I am also getting a mantis, a female Pseudoharpax virescens, with that shipment.

The cricket raising is going ok, so far..I still say crickets are SO gross!!! I would rather lay in a vat full of spiders, than one full of crickets!

Aren't crickets "dirty" (disease-carrying) ...or do they just look that way?

Aren't crickets "dirty" (disease-carrying) ...or do they just look that way?

If crickets aren't captive bred, they can carry many parasites and other microorganisms. Crickets are very VERY dirty-- I have to clean their habitat cube EVERY DAY. They shit all over the place, it's really really grody. They SOOO remind me of cockroaches, and it really creeps me out every time I have to get one out for my spiders! Crickets are really creepy.

I dread having any feeder crickets escape into my house-- I would not be able to sleep at night. I'd have to turn loose one of the spiders to have any piece of mind!!

P.S. Finny, it's absolutely NO use..my phobia is very deep seated, and it comes from a few experiences that I do not ever want to repeat!! I wasn't ALWAYS scared of the water, but a few things have happened to turn my heart. The sight of a shark, even in an aquarium, makes my hair stand straight on end. I think my reaction to them is more a relenquishing of my invincibility, than a fear..the knowledge that I don't stand a CHANCE against a shark or other large or socially-organized aquatic creature in its own element.

Unfortunately, my experience of the ocean and lakes has not been anything like what you see on The Little Mermaid! I've almost been eaten alive by nesting male bluegill (honest!), bumped by something LARGE and UNSEEN while wading out on a sandbar in Florida in the middle of the night in the ocean, covered in leeches, tangled in seaweed and almost drowned, and THEN there was the snapping turtle incident..I won't even go into the details of that one, it was TOO weird to have really happened.

I'm quite happy to observe water crathurs from a glass bottom boat, or at Sea World!! ;)

If crickets aren't captive bred, they can carry many parasites and other microorganisms. Crickets are very VERY dirty-- I have to clean their habitat cube EVERY DAY. They shit all over the place, it's really really grody. They SOOO remind me of cockroaches, and it really creeps me out every time I have to get one out for my spiders! Crickets are really creepy.

I dread having any feeder crickets escape into my house-- I would not be able to sleep at night. I'd have to turn loose one of the spiders to have any piece of mind!!

Ha...I thought so...

..I agree...they soo look like 'roaches.

*shudders*

G-R-O-S-S

Thanx for the info....bugdork... :bow

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my wild house-spider, the same species as my captives (Phidippus audax). He's had to watch me feeding the rest of my babies for the past week or so, while he's gone hungry. There isn't much wild prey left in my bathroom, where he hangs out, so I gave him a fat mealworm as a peace offering. The little boogins took it right from my fingers! He loves me now.. we're good friends!

He's been coming to court Ms. Arwen, my large captive female. He must have a thing for California girls! ;)

I've actually named him Froggie-Went-A'Courtin', because he is so interested in my babygirl.

Watching him drum his legs, chelicerae, and palps for her has been entertaining-- to say the least! I owed him a treat just for that!

post-1079-1212017906_thumb.jpg

Edited by jynxxxedangel

THEN there was the snapping turtle incident..I won't even go into the details of that one, it was TOO weird to have really happened.

Why does my mind see you standing knee deep in water screaming while the turtle is just hanging somewhere? I don't know, must be my sick twisted mind at work.

(edited for spelling)

Edited by Draco1958

I used to catch criskets and bring them to school with me and we'd have them in an aquarium for fun. boy trying to get all teh rottem grass and fruit out of there STUNK! couldnt do with without losing the crikets... so they always died and got dumped. I also had this HUGE criket outside my window when I was living in my brother-in-laws basement. It chirped me so much I decided to fumagate it. Nothing worked! finally, I used roach spray and he stopped chirping. then I felt sooooo bad!!! because if he lived thru everything else he REALLY had a strong will to live. and after that I couldnt sleep without his chirping lol It sucks being a conscious vegetarian lol even killing bugs bothers me to a degree.

And AMEN on the ocean and lake comment! I can go in the pretty parts of the oacean where I touch sand, but still have to wear shoes. seaweed freaks me out the most. but no lakes. I dont do lates. funny, because I grew up on a late and LOVED it, caught everything from water snakes to stink bugs and crayfish lol Damn OCD... guess it changes a person!

Me too. I'm fine on a boat, or looking ... but not IN.

A clorinated pool, however, doesn't bother me at all. I can do that easily.

What does the term "true spider" refer to? Some things we think of as spiders aren't really spiders?

The term "true spiders" (or Araneae) refers to arachnids which are not a scorpion, mite, louse, tick, opilione, tarantula, cave spider, or solfugid. A lot of arachnid hobbyists use this term to differentiate them from the other orders of arachnids.

Most people in the hobby are into tarantulas, or "T's," as we call them for short.

GREAT NEWS, everyone!!! My baby spiderlings are finally HATCHING right now as I write this!!!

They must like Jay and the Americans' music, because I got the bright idea to start singing "This Magic Moment" loudly into their Kritter Keeper. It actually worked to make them begin coming out!

You could knock me over with a feather right now!

P.S. I'd attach a picture, but for some reason I'm not getting the option at the moment..must be a temporary glitch in the Forum.

I put it up in my gallery..here's the link: http://www.detroitgothic.net/gallery-image5099.html

Edited by jynxxxedangel

My mantis Galadriel has laid her first infertile ootheca.

See the brown dead leaf-looking thing next to her in the corner?

Mature females are constantly 'cooking' ooths, in case they come into contact with a male. This way, they can be ready to drop a fertile ooth ASAP after breeding.

I wish I could find a male Pseudoharpax virescen to breed her to! She is obviously ready!

post-1079-1213306026_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sitting here staring in DISBELIEF at yet ANOTHER egg sac in Arwen's cage!!!!!

This makes THREE, so far, since I've had her!!!

I should rename her "Gravid Gertie!!!"

Aragorn must have really socked it to her before they left California!

Edited by jynxxxedangel

• 1 month later...

I've been posting about my "tween-age" spider for some time, now. I'm still not sure if it's male or female yet, but I'm hoping for it to be the successor to the matriarchy, after Arwen passes!

I still don't have a true name for this spider yet. I just call it "Little Baby." :) It is such a baby, too, and a sweet one. This little bugger has such a personality! It already begs for flies, just like its mum! The first photo is of Little Baby begging. They come out into the open, sit up on their tippy-toes, and look at me expectantly-- until a bug is dropped in! The second is a bit blurry, but it is only meant to show the colour variation. The third one in profile, as well.

As you can see, this one has the optional red markings, rather than the white spots the mother and father spider have! I was hoping some of Arwen's s'lings would be "reds". It just came out of its sixth moult this morning. Isn't it a beaut? :) It has just begun to show the green on its chelicerae, now. Phidippus audax are all brownish, until their final moult. This one has a very special ruddy colouring, though. I can't wait until it's old enough for me to breed it!

I will know whether my bubu is male or female, within the next couple of moultings.

I love my little fuzzheads! :biggrin:

post-1079-1219607837_thumb.jpg

post-1079-1219607872_thumb.jpg

post-1079-1219607891_thumb.jpg