Ok, Usually I don't cry out for help but times are extremely hard right now and I thought maybe someone can give me some advice. I'm going through the court system to get my children back from foster care and they have ordered me to have employment my December. Im not having any luck at all so far. I've been out of a job for over a year now and people don't want to hire anyone with that on their record. If anyone out there has any job leads, has connections to people who hire and are willing to train, Please let me know. I've been trying so hard and it seems to get more difficult as I go along. All I want are my kids back and I'll do pretty much anything to accomplish that goal.

Ok, Usually I don't cry out for help but times are extremely hard right now and I thought maybe someone can give me some advice. I'm going through the court system to get my children back from foster care and they have ordered me to have employment my December. Im not having any luck at all so far. I've been out of a job for over a year now and people don't want to hire anyone with that on their record. If anyone out there has any job leads, has connections to people who hire and are willing to train, Please let me know. I've been trying so hard and it seems to get more difficult as I go along. All I want are my kids back and I'll do pretty much anything to accomplish that goal.

FAYGO is HIRING at (Detroit) Gratiot Plant $12/HR @40HRS/week + overtime. MUST pass Drug Test. FAX resume & or letters of interest to 313-925-0932 . PLZ PASS THIS ON. (Good Luck Job Seekers)

That was from the Sept. 1st

Go to Michigan Works! and attend the workshops, especially regarding networking. Also, talk to someone there to help you identify your skills and qualifications and help you develop your resume. Since you have only a short period of time to get a job, concentrate on using your networking skills. BE SURE YOU ATTEND THE CLASS ON THIS FIRST. There are some key concepts that, if ignored, can actually make networking work against you.

Here's the shortlist of what I learned in the course yesterday:

• Don't filter your list. Everyone whose name (legal name) you know is in your network.
  • Make sure that with every contact you are spending energy to build that relationship--that means putting your quest for a job on the back burner often.
  • Let your network off the hook call to get information on possible contacts who have information about the company or type of job that you are looking for, but let them know that you aren't trying to get this person to find work for you. Key phrase (it's magic)-- "I know they aren't hiring now and that's okay with me. I just want to learn more about (company name or job type) and I was hoping you knew someone who could talk to me about it." Why do this? Everyone knows people out of work. If you put your network on the spot, they'll start avoiding/resenting you.
  • Disconnect yourself emotionally from the result of the informational interview (the face to face meeting you schedule with the contact). Instead, make it about learning about the job, the work environment, and the person you are talking to.
  • Always follow up informational interviews with a thank you letter or card. (If you get a business card, you can send it to that address.)
  • Bring a copy of your resume to the interview in case the person you interview asks for it, but only offer it if requested.
  • Add the person you interviewed to your network and build on that relationship.

I know it seems a long, involved, and convoluted way to get a job. Why would I recommend this over other methods? Statistically, more than 80% of all jobs are obtained through someone the job-seeker knows prior to the interview. Connections are everything. In comparison, internet job searches are successful only 4% of the time.

Good luck!

Friend on FB posted this earlier:

"NOW HIRING: Fed Ex (877) 716-8753 , Home Depot (877) 967-5443 , U.P.S (888) 877-0922 , Verizon (800) 511-8086 , Staples (800) 378-2753 . And Detroit Faygo is Hiring! $12/Hour

Detroit/Gratiot plant 40+ hours per week + overtime. MUST pass drug test"

Good luck!